x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any modern web browser?

SopaXorzTaker Page Icon Posted 2017-07-15 12:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am looking for a web browser to use on my Jornada 680, but IE is way outdated (obviously) and Conduits PocketBrowser is shareware and has even less functionality.
There's WinWAP Browser, of which an evaluation copy is provided, and it is claimed to support SH3, but the evaluation copy is for Pocket PC on Windows Mobile.
I even emailed the developers to no avail

I also plan on obtaining a big CF and installing JLime, but I'd like to push WinCE to its limits in the meanwhile.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-07-15 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

On my MobilePro 900, I use Opera Mini. I believe the version I'm using is 4.2, I'd check but I've packed my MP900 away in storage. Here's a thread discussing it, and most notably a post by CE Geek regarding an Opera build from XDA: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15982&st...

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-07-15 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

the 680 is pretty much a offline tool these days...you could try a linux made for it..but even distros are way more demanding these days.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-15 9:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Simply put: Forget it. Nada, nothing, it's all over...zilch.

But the real problem isn't the old Internet Explorer...it's the host web sites that insist on more pizazz and graphics and unnecessary bloat. Give me the good old days of a simple bbs.
 Top of the page
SopaXorzTaker Page Icon Posted 2017-07-18 1:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2017-07-15 9:46 PM

Simply put: Forget it. Nada, nothing, it's all over...zilch.

But the real problem isn't the old Internet Explorer...it's the host web sites that insist on more pizazz and graphics and unnecessary bloat. Give me the good old days of a simple bbs.

The thing is, most of the sites I visit in PIE display somewhat nicely and are completely usable. But I want to try something more modern and apparently, some of the modern embedded browsers support WCE 2.11/SH3.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-18 2:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Your problem is, that if you could even find a modern browser for SH3 processors (of which there are NONE!) and could find one that worked with CE 2.11, I would be willing to bet that they wouldn't work on your Jornada because of the RAM limitations would prevent you from effectively loading a page.
 Top of the page
SopaXorzTaker Page Icon Posted 2017-07-20 11:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2017-07-18 2:22 PM

Your problem is, that if you could even find a modern browser for SH3 processors (of which there are NONE!) and could find one that worked with CE 2.11, I would be willing to bet that they wouldn't work on your Jornada because of the RAM limitations would prevent you from effectively loading a page.

That's the idea, I feel like pushing hardware to its limits and seeing that myself.
*sigh*, maybe I can try compiling elinks for this platform.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-04 10:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Please share if you do!
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-08-06 4:39 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Compiling elinks for your device sounds like a lot of effort.

For quite some time, most of us who have old WinCe devices have been stumped by the lack of a modern browser.

I have a J720 / 728 running CE 3.0 with RedGear, and also JLime. None of the browsers the I have seen will handle modern HTTPS sites. Many SSL sites also require JavaScript.

Awhile back, I thought I had stumbled on the solution. I can reliably access SDF.org via SSH, using the CE3 version of Putty, or using the JLime terminal. SDF.org offers free access to a Unix based SSH server with limited features, to help people learn Unix functions. They also offer several layers of paid membership services. I opted for one of the paid membership levels. Several text based email programs and text based browsers are available, including Lynx, links, and elinks. The software runs on their server, so all the J720 has to handle is the SSH encryption and the Putty terminal. Email works okay (after a bit of a learning curve). The browsers also work... even for some basic SSL sites. However, although some versions of elinks (maybe links also) do have limited JavaScript functions, these versions are NOT available on SDF.org. There have been quite a few requests to add J.S. But it doesn't look like there is motion in that direction.

In any case, depending on what you need a browser to do, it might be worth checking out SDF.org. If there is another site that offers SSH access with somewhat better browsers, I would like to know about it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.316 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 33