x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I hate moving...

1 2 3
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-09-26 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh, those look like nice locks. Been wanting to get something similar. Keep us updated with how the move is going.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-10-08 3:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

T-minus 2 weeks and counting...all conditions are green! Have most everything packed up in the apartment in boxes. Leave Michigan on the 23rd.

Brother-in-law went by my new house this morning...no standing water from last nights hurricane...great!
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-10-09 4:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well that's good news! Looks like things are going after plan.
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-10-22 3:57 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Best of luck with the trip tomorrow, Rich!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-10-28 1:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Made it! In the house now since Wednesday evening...so much to do.

1st day of travel was pure hell. Wife missed a turn off and called me. I told her to turn around, so she pulls into a driveway and backs up not realizing traiIers don't work the same in reverse...total rear fender destruction. I actually had to take 1/4" nylon rope and wrap it around the entire car, over the trunk and under it to secure everything for the rest of the trip.

An hour later this fancy custom tour bus is merging onto the interstate right alongside me. He thinks I'm gonna move because be's bigger? I couldn't go anywhere so there goes the right side of my truck. And then his fiberglass fancy smancy bus gets hooked up with my steel trailer....I win! Probably about $1000 in damage to my truck, about $10,000 to the bus. He wins a ticket from the state troopers for failure to yield.

So I'm leaving the pull off when the state trooper is done with the 2 of us and here comes a Brinks truck turning right in front of me. Wham broadside! My front bumper is now askew and dented. $2500 more in damage. The Brinks truck has a 4 foot long gash that is about 4-5 inches deep along its side. The trooper called it in because it was a local cop thing, not Interstate (his jurisdiction). Brinks guy says I could have avoided it...he wasn't travelling fast, etc. What he didn't know is that a state trooper had it all on dashcam. He gets a ticket!

I thought that day would never end.

The next couple days were sunny and nice and no troubles...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-10-28 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh man Rich! I am glad you made it there without any health issues! I hope you get all of the damage sorted out. An update on our new house.
So far we have:
All new energy efficient windows with new window frames
LED lighting throughout the house
New framed in back door
All damaged siding/other wood repaired/replaced with new cedar shutters
New 6" cedar privacy fence
Fixed leaking tub faucet
Removed carpet from the rooms and discovered original hard wood beneath.

To do:
Repair and repaint the interior
Build a fire pit in the backyard!!! (It is cold today)
At some point refinish the wood floors!

We live across the street from a huge park that has a great playground for our daughter, baseball, basketball, and tennis courts, and a great pool. We discovered that there is about a 2 mile walking path through the woods. Man it is great!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-10-28 11:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Geez, Rich, I can see why you hate moving.

Seriously, after all that it's amazing neither of you got hurt. You both earned a nice long rest. Hope you get one.

Yoldering - 2017-10-28 6:50 AM

We live across the street from a huge park that has a great playground for our daughter, baseball, basketball, and tennis courts, and a great pool. We discovered that there is about a 2 mile walking path through the woods. Man it is great!

Sounds a lot like my neighborhood. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-10-29 1:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Been working all day on the house. I installed a tankless water heater...man is that nice. Turn on the tap and it senses the water flow. Some gas jets !ight hp and heat the water as it passes by...instant hot water on demand. Spent all day yesterday painting each room. Tomorrow the ceiling fans go up...

Isn't this house stuff fun Scott?

Yep CEGeek...you are right...we got lucky...
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-10-29 4:50 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Holy miserable start to a move! Glad it was all car damage and not people. Enjoy the new houses, folks. I'm ten years in and still renovating....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-10-29 8:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2017-10-28 1:23 PM

Made it! In the house now since Wednesday evening...so much to do.

1st day of travel was pure hell. Wife missed a turn off and called me. I told her to turn around, so she pulls into a driveway and backs up not realizing traiIers don't work the same in reverse...total rear fender destruction. I actually had to take 1/4" nylon rope and wrap it around the entire car, over the trunk and under it to secure everything for the rest of the trip.

An hour later this fancy custom tour bus is merging onto the interstate right alongside me. He thinks I'm gonna move because be's bigger? I couldn't go anywhere so there goes the right side of my truck. And then his fiberglass fancy smancy bus gets hooked up with my steel trailer....I win! Probably about $1000 in damage to my truck, about $10,000 to the bus. He wins a ticket from the state troopers for failure to yield.

So I'm leaving the pull off when the state trooper is done with the 2 of us and here comes a Brinks truck turning right in front of me. Wham broadside! My front bumper is now askew and dented. $2500 more in damage. The Brinks truck has a 4 foot long gash that is about 4-5 inches deep along its side. The trooper called it in because it was a local cop thing, not Interstate (his jurisdiction). Brinks guy says I could have avoided it...he wasn't travelling fast, etc. What he didn't know is that a state trooper had it all on dashcam. He gets a ticket!

I thought that day would never end.

The next couple days were sunny and nice and no troubles...
Ouch. I take it that with the police evidence your insurance company won't give you grief about any of it?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-10-30 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What a bummer of a first day! Glad the rest went without a hitch, and happy you're happy with the new home. Congrats.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-11-03 8:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

First post from my desktop...glad to get it back up and running....wo wo!
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2017-11-04 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Everyone should have a dashcam!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-11-07 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Score! I was fiddling with our thermostat the other day and pressed a button I had not pushed yet. It asked if I wanted to connect to Wi-Fi? It turns out that it is an Emerson SenSi wi-fi thermostat. I had never heard of it before. It's a $130+ thermostat. I connected it and it works great. My wife just called me to tell me she is on her way home. So I opened the app and turned on the heat. Great bonus for the house!

Edited by Yoldering 2017-11-07 10:40 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-11-10 12:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Scott, I wish there was an app that I could push a button and turn on the heat...with my wife!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 32