x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Samsung Infogear Palm-Size PC

TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-01 11:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does anyone know more about this PsPC? I just purchased what seems to be a prototype Samsung Infogear PsPC on eBay. I'll let you guys know what it is like when it arrives. But near as I can tell, it is missing the sync cradle and modem that seems to be featured on the pictures found on PocketPCFAQ/Cewindows.net from CES 98 here:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/palmpcpics.htm
This might even be the one in the picture from all those years ago.

Very little shows up on Google about it. Most of what shows up is just the auction I bought it from.

I was able to determine from some russian PDA sites that it was never released so this should really be cool to own.

Here is the auction with some pictures:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Infogear-Windows-CE-Based-PDA-Proto...

Wish me luck!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-02 2:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Haven't come across it. I always wanted the LG Pocket Phenom since it's such a cool-looking Palm-size PC. (Sure, it's SH3, but so were the HP Jornada 400 series Palm-size PCs, and my 430SE was a pretty nice little unit - though I admit I haven't played with it for a long time).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-02 1:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

TFGDB, glad to see you back. Nice find...I guess...if you want another CE2 monochrome ppc....might be you own the last one left in the Milky Way!

The layout, with those 2 little indentation to the right of the screen suggests that it is like a Phillips Nino in a different case...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-02 9:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You mean like the same motherboard, Rich? (Those indentations are for two LEDs on the Nino.) That wouldn't be a new thing, as we know from some H/PCs. There were like three or four different brand names put on units identical to the Everex Freestyle Palm-size PC.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 2:11 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Okay, so my Samsung Infogear arrived the other day. The case uses no screws and just pops off if you want it to and at first I didn't think it had a soft-reset button but I found it later. I just realized how limited the Palm Size PC platform really is. There is no file explorer anywhere on this thing! It's just like the early versions of Smartphone (2002,2003) in that respect.
Does anyone know how to install programs without Activesync (no cradle and I think my IR port doesn't work?) on a PsPC? I tried the typing run32 on msim.dll (soft keyboard) to access the Run dialog that I found on some old MIPS linux site but that didn't seem to work. Also, is there any way I can check if I'm running a beta version of Windows CE? There is a ROM board attached to the motherboard with a build date on it. It has a year of 1998. Windows CE's Power CPL reports that the backup battery is "good" but I was unable to even find such a battery. I lost all data as soon as I took out the 2 AA batteries. Do you think they faked the backup battery for this early pre-release unit?

Anyway, that's all I have so far. The device has a CF slot so I'm hoping I can install some programs somehow. I'd at least like to get Total Commander/CE on this thing. Also, my down key seems to be broken. Luckily the "Action" key works as I strangely needed it to bypass the initial setup.

It's smaller than I thought it would be. It's about the same size as all the other Pocket PCs from 2000 or so. (Maybe a little thicker.) I can take some photos and screenshots for the Windows CE history pages if you guys want.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 11:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You can use MSCEinf to extract the cab components to you cf card and install them that way.

As far as a backup battery, if there is none, then you would need a 3v adapter to keep power to the unit while changing batteries. Or make sure you have a complete backup for reinstall.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You misunderstand. There is NO FILE EXPLORER and thus no way to execute a non-ROM .exe!
I guess I need a retail PsPC if want to actually use the thing. Also, HPC:Factor should add PsPCs.

It does have a charge port but I'm not sure what kind of connector I need or what the voltage is. There is almost nothing on the back except a label about not yet being approved by the FCC. Clearly one for the history books. I don't think Samsung made another WinCE device until Smartphone 2002 and Pocket PC 2003.

I'd kill for one of those Samsung "Smart Phone" H/PCs, though.

Edited by TFGBD 2017-08-07 1:25 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 2:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about renaming total commander to an existing file name and copying it over and then execute that?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 8:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How would he execute it, Rich? The shortcut would still point to a different file path.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.093 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8