x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pocket PCs

TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 2:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Now that they are supposedly "obsolete", will Pocket PCs ever have a section on HPCFactor or do we still have to go to XDA-Developers.com? They seem to be focused on android now and there are fewer and fewer places to discuss CE.

With that said, what Pocket PCs (or Smartphones) do you guys have in addition to plain CE devices.

I recently got 2 HP iPAQ hx2190b Pocket PCs and a PPC 2000 iPAQ 3600 series for free! The iPAQ 3600 has a dead battery but the WM5 devices are practically brand new. One even has the box.
I also have a HTC Universal, several mostly broken HTC HD2s, 2 HTC Touch Pro 2s, LG Fathom and 3 MPx200 Smartphones
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Axim X3i and iPAQ 110 (from work), though I'm not really using either one these days. I have a Redfly that works with the iPAQ, turning it into a sort-of mini-laptop.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 4:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Every damn pocketpc that iPAQ, Audiovox, Toshiba, Casio, HP ever made and then some.

My all time favorite, the rx5970 GPS unit with wifi, or the hx4700 with VGA screen.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-07 8:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What did iPAQ make, Rich? (Maybe you mean Compaq, the first company to market the iPAQ before HP bought out the company.)

I don't relish the thought of creating a separate forum for overlaid UIs like Pocket PC. They can always be covered in Off Topic. (Unless, of course, someone has a way to reach the underlying CE desktop on a Pocket PC/Windows Mobile device. )

That said (and still in Off Topic ), I do have a few Pocket PCs from Pocket PC 2000 up to Windows Mobile 6.5 - but they were mostly curiosities and rarely get my attention.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 12:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I used the HTC HD2 for awhile until I killed it and then replaced it with 5 more. I still didn't get a good, working one. One had a bad GPS. Another had a broken Mic. My 2nd latest one just had the phone die on me. My 5th one hangs on boot and won't flash an OS. I figured I could fix it but I guess I was wrong. I'll keep the battery, though. Right now I'm using a HTC Touch Pro 2 for my phone and it works okay. Though, I think I'd prefer WM Pocket PC 6.1 on it over 6.5. 6.5 just feels too much like an iPhone. Also, I plan to make a CE 5.0 Professional Plus ROM for at least some of the devices I still own if I can at least still find the ROM kitchens. It might kill the phone functions, though. I was able to make a hybird Pocket PC 2003/CE 4.2 ROM for the NEC MobilePro 900/c but the explorer shell still has issues running on a Pocket PC component device. It might be a little easier on the 900 because I was still using the NEC coredll.dll but it still crashes if you don't patch it.

With that said, can't we at least have a Palm Sized PC forum? Those things aren't supported anywhere else on the net.

Edited by TFGBD 2017-08-08 1:18 AM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 1:27 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Do you have the Redfly driver for WM 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 or 6.5 or Smartphone/Standard? I have one for 6.1 but no 6.5. PLEASE share these if you have them. I've been looking everywhere for them. The company's website is long gone.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

TFGBD - 2017-08-08 9:44 AM

I used the HTC HD2 for awhile until I killed it and then replaced it with 5 more. I still didn't get a good, working one. One had a bad GPS. Another had a broken Mic. My 2nd latest one just had the phone die on me. My 5th one hangs on boot and won't flash an OS. I figured I could fix it but I guess I was wrong. I'll keep the battery, though. Right now I'm using a HTC Touch Pro 2 for my phone and it works okay. Though, I think I'd prefer WM Pocket PC 6.1 on it over 6.5. 6.5 just feels too much like an iPhone. Also, I plan to make a CE 5.0 Professional Plus ROM for at least some of the devices I still own if I can at least still find the ROM kitchens. It might kill the phone functions, though. I was able to make a hybird Pocket PC 2003/CE 4.2 ROM for the NEC MobilePro 900/c but the explorer shell still has issues running on a Pocket PC component device. It might be a little easier on the 900 because I was still using the NEC coredll.dll but it still crashes if you don't patch it.

With that said, can't we at least have a Palm Sized PC forum? Those things aren't supported anywhere else on the net.

I've had the Pocket PC for a long time...
My first one was a Cassiopeia E-700WE (limited edition) which I bought in Bic Camera for 19800 JPY circa 2002.
Then I think I bought the Sigmarion (1) then I was using it as a web server machine back in 00's serving up my homepage.

A Microsoft MVP gave me two Pocket PC PDAs which were G-FORT and Cassiopeia E-125. Cassiopeia E-125 was broken, but by some sort of "magic" I fixed it and gave it to my best friend. Then in 2006 or so, I got the Softbank X01HT which was a modified version of HTC Hermes. It was a great device and I had it until I sold it on eBay and got the Tytn II. Tytn II was a dream come true... But sadly I lost it.

Several years later I bought the EMobile (now Yahoo Mobile) EMONSTER S11HT. The EMONSTER S11HT was a Japanese version of HTC Tytn II which only had 1700MHz HSDPA but was unlocked for GSM. I used a Pocket WiFi SIM on it for a while.
I still have it but the charging mechanism is a little broken. I think I would like to buy it again if I have a chance to.

I vote for having a Pocket PC section, but it's up to C:Amie and others.

Edited by stingraze 2017-08-08 8:55 AM
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

TFGBD - 2017-08-07 5:27 PM

Do you have the Redfly driver for WM 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 or 6.5 or Smartphone/Standard? I have one for 6.1 but no 6.5. PLEASE share these if you have them. I've been looking everywhere for them. The company's website is long gone.

I might; I'll give a look at home tonight.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 8:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I thought the Redfly only supported WM 6. (I have one too, so it might be fun to try it with my iPAQ 5915.)
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-08-10 12:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

This topic has been discussed many times and it should be a pinned thread. Anyways I will try to summarize as much as possible, of what I believe is the verdict from said discussions.

- There are other sites that support PPC. This was the case for a long time, but it might have changed recently as TFGBD is suggesting.
- There is little interests to cover that topic on this site. Again that can change.
- CAmie resources has been stretched thin running this site covering the current topics; you can make a difference here.
- Covering PPC could potentially overtake coverage of HPC, given its much wider audience (this is the point I believe is most important.)

That said, I am in possession of several PPC/WinMo devices (1 PDA, 3 Phones), which I have not touched for a long time and don't honestly care about anymore. I would say though, that the PPC is my first experience with mobile computing, and it will be remembered always.
 Top of the page
Nuketank Page Icon Posted 2017-08-28 1:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ooh, I think I'm going to hop into this, given that I have a literal pile of PocketPC's beside me. PPC was also the thing that got me interested in HPCs, but it took until recently until I finally owned one of those - which in turn is what brought me here.
Might as well list 'em off since I'm here.
Dell Axim X30 (WM2003SE) - the one that started it all. Wore it slam out. Dead touchpad, dead charging port (tried replacing it), dead speaker, other problems. Retired it.
HP iPaq H5455 (PPC2003) - Spotted this thing at a yard sale, fully functional sans battery. Recognized that UI instantly, bought it, have almost restored it to my old Axim's status.
Motorola M55 (WM6) - Got this at the same yard sale as the H5455. I don't really like WM6's UI though, but this has a built in barcode reader...
Compaq iPaq 3630 x3 (2x PPC2000, 1x PPC2002) - The guy I got the above two PDAs from gave me a box of stuff. These guys were in it. One had a display problem, the other two are intermittent drivers. Also had a case full of accessories, that're also compatible with the H5455!
HP iPaq rx3115 (WM2003SE) - Got this with the three 3630s. Dead touchscreen, missing battery and back door. May eventually repair it.
HP iPaq H4155 (PPC2003) - Same story as the last few. Sadly has a motherboard problem. Black screen, even on a new display.
HP iPaq hx2490 (WM5) - I actually tried to buy a used rx3115 as parts for mine listed above. They sent me the wrong thing. I actually like this one.
(edited: Got the Motorola's model number wrong.)

Edited by Nuketank 2017-08-28 2:00 AM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2017-08-30 11:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

For a very long time my father worked at O2, became O2 Telefonica. He was given XDAs (rebranded HTC PPCs) that were presumably handed out to the total or a significant part of the workforce. Each time he upgraded, I got the old model. One time he found an XDA Exec (HTC Universal) in its faux leather case, with a test build of WM5 on it, it seems no one in the office was interested, so he took it home for me. Pocket IE never worked on it, for whatever reason, but it was fun taking it to school on occasion, smartphones were very rare to see there up until the 2010s.

Eventually he moved on to iPhones, and so did I when his 3GS became redundant. A year after that, he managed to get hold of a SGS2, allegedly for testing purposes, he wasn't too keen on it so I got it naturally. The S2 was a novelty in 2011 because it arrived in the UK long before NA. Eventually Telefonica stopped the practise, but he still uses a refurb he bought there before he left - an iPhone 6. Meanwhile, I experimented with a Jolla phone, having transferred my lifestyle to the Linux ecosystem just a couple years prior. This year I returned to Android with a SGS4Mini and LOS, but I'm keeping tabs on the neo900 project, libre software and hardware is attractive to me, and I like the N900's design.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 13