x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

8/21/17 Solar eclipse

1 2
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-08-21 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The show has begun! The moon started moving across the sun at about 9:07 a.m. Pacific time (40 minutes ago), and it will peak here in Portland with 99.2% coverage at 10:19 a.m. We're about 30 miles from the path of totality here. The sun already is approaching a crescent shape. Very cool, and I'm feeling very fortunate to be this close.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-08-21 9:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

not only was the UK out of it, the idea that you could even see the sun today was laughable. We've nearly been in totality the whole day it's been so overcast :/

I hope you all got a good look at it! I remember the August 1999 one well.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-21 10:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I just watched it on tv for a couple of minutes...boring...I remember being excited in the '63 eclipse, making black mirrors, pinhole viewers, etc. Then it rained...story of my life!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-21 11:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A few folks in my office had those eclipse viewing glasses, so I got a quick look. It was just like looking at a crescent moon at night, nothing exciting. (I wonder how many welders looked up at the sun through their masks today. ) The sunlight over the area resembled what one would see on a partly cloudy day, when the sun peeks over the edge of a cloud. The total eclipse is something totally different, though, with some other stars becoming visible, etc. I believe it's been nearly 40 years since one passed over our area.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-08-22 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

We had a couple of the viewing glasses. We got about 70% in N Texas. One of our welders got a pic through his welding helmet. I'll see if I can post it.

(IMG_0264.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0264.JPG (88KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-08-22 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

My sister lives in the path of totality and got some great photos. She said it went completely dark and the birds, bugs, and pets went nuts.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-08-22 7:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you see shadow bands?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-22 9:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I didn't have time to watch it...was too busy reeling in a 32" drum...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-23 5:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You fish for musical instruments now, Rich?
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-08-23 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm now almost wishing we had journeyed 50 miles south to the path of totality...I think it would have been a much different experience. It was still pretty cool in Portland; only a tiny sliver of sun was visible at the peak, and the temps dropped at least 10 degrees.

My oldest son is in Nashville, right in the path of totality, and he works at the science center, so they had 3 days of festivities....only right before the peak, the sun was blocked by clouds. He said a few miles down the road, they had clear views, but not where he was. He said he talked with people who had come from London to see the eclipse; must have been a bit disappointing to travel all that way and miss the climax. I'm assuming that wasn't you, C:Amie?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-08-23 6:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PDXMark - 2017-08-23 5:50 PM

I'm now almost wishing we had journeyed 50 miles south to the path of totality...I think it would have been a much different experience. It was still pretty cool in Portland; only a tiny sliver of sun was visible at the peak, and the temps dropped at least 10 degrees.

My oldest son is in Nashville, right in the path of totality, and he works at the science center, so they had 3 days of festivities....only right before the peak, the sun was blocked by clouds. He said a few miles down the road, they had clear views, but not where he was. He said he talked with people who had come from London to see the eclipse; must have been a bit disappointing to travel all that way and miss the climax. I'm assuming that wasn't you, C:Amie?
It wasn't

Not one of you invited me to come and hang out at your science party!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-23 8:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It was a "Yank" only festival....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-23 8:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

. . . meaning the gadgets were so old that we had to yank them to get them to start up.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2017-08-27 5:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

We drove to Depoe Bay and experienced totality. Very cool. Intended to go to a different area, but it was fogged, so we backtracked to Depoe Bay and caught a small area uninhibited by fog.
 Top of the page
Nuketank Page Icon Posted 2017-08-28 1:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I realize I'm late to the show, but I wasn't watching for when HPCFactor came back up after the recent outage.
I got some pictures through some eclipse glasses on my phone, but they're pretty much similar to Yoldering's, but crappier (I was only in for 85% or so)
That said one of the engineers at my work is head of the local astronomy chapter and brought in a telescope with a solar filter on it! THAT was the coolest part of it all.
Now back to getting my long list of antique portables working to perfection...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12