x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netgear FA411 and Jornada 720 nearly working

1 2
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-09-14 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You only need to install ActiveSync and execute those programs, cab files will be available somewhere in ActiveSync folder IIRC, you can transfer them manually.

Edited by Alt Bass 2017-09-14 8:38 PM
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-09-19 10:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

netcat,
Did you get that NetGear FA411 card working?
If not, I have a DLink DCF-660W CF card available.

My Jornada 728 was having trouble with another Prism CF wifi card (TrendNet TEW-222CF, which is not listed in the HCL). So, having read that others had some success with the DCF-660W, I purchased one on ebay ($ 28 plus postage). As it turned out, I had the same trouble with both cards... until I got the right driver.

The driver that came on the CD with the TEW-222F worked somewhat. But occasionally, there was a message "cannot communicate with driver." There were a few other peculiarities with the software.

The drivers that came on the CD with the DCF-660W were for PPC. There was an hpc compatible DLink driver in the Download area on hpcfactor. But, it did not work well, and Ministumbler could not access the wifi card with the DLink driver. On the MiniStumbler and DLink support forums, there are several posts saying that MiniStumbler won't work with the DCF-660W. (But, as it turns out, the issue is with the driver... not with the card.)

The driver that worked was PRISM.HPC300ARM.CAB (Download at http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/prism.zip - This zip file contains "best cab for hpc2000 arm... also, cenet arm version..." ). Make sure all other Prism drivers have been deleted, with Remove Programs on the hpc Control Panel. Do soft reset before and after running Remove Programs. Then, install the Prism driver. Upon first card insertion, the system asks which driver to use with the card. Type in prismnds.dll

MiniStumbler (Download at http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/MiniStumbler.zip ) works with both cards with the above prism driver. I have not found good instructions for using MiniStumbler. The green triangle icon starts and stops scanning. The two gears icon 'reconfigures the card for scanning.' It would be nice if you could connect to an AP by clicking on one from the scan list. But this doesn't work. I manually copy the SSID from the list to the SSID box on the Configuration page of the Wireless Config Utility (icon in lower right of screen, with card inserted).

At first, DHCP did not seem to work, but I could connect with manual entry of my IP address. However, after a few soft resets and giving it a couple of minutes to think things over, DHCP is working now. I have been testing things with an Open connection (have not tried to use WEP).

If you are interested in the DLink card, send me a Private Message. Otherwise, I'll probably attempt to sell it on ebay.

Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-29 8:34 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

No I didn't get the Netgear FA411 card working with the native driver. I've received a brand new Linksys NP10T 10BaseT card from ebay US and it worked straight away with the native NE2000 driver. I might do some further testing with the FA411 and different drivers, when I got the time, and will update with results.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-09-30 6:18 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I see now that both the Netgear FA411 and Linksys NP10T cards are for wired ethernet. Up to this point, I had assumed the FA411 was a wireless (WiFi) card.
I suppose my assumption was because I was trying to make a wireless card work, at the time.

I have a Kingston KNE-PC2T wired ethernet card. As with your new card, it works very well without any worry about drivers.

As long as you have a secure wired LAN network, that's the way to go.
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 10:04 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I've managed to get the card working under NetBSD-7.1

Many thanks!

Edited by netcat 2017-11-27 10:10 PM
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-11-28 8:24 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

netcat,
I see you are running NetBSD on Jornada 720.
Have you tried JLime linux?
If so, how would you compare the two OS?
Where did you find the NetBSD-7.1 installation files? and were there any installation peculiarities for the J720?
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-11-29 12:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I've never tried JLime on the J720 cause some people say it's very slow and that scared me off.

First I created a NetBSD VM in Windows 10 first and than followed these instructions: https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_on_hpcarm/

I've downloaded NetBSD-7.1 and the boot program from here: http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.1/hpcarm/

I am using a text based system only and no swap configured. I am going to try the X11 window system and swap on a different CF card as a separate testing machine as soon as I've got the time.

How about your experience with JLime?

Edited by netcat 2017-11-29 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-11-29 8:48 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

netcat,
Thanks for the info on NetBSD. I followed the links did some reading on the install and features.

From what I can see, it looks like many more programs have been ported for use on JLime. Perhaps there is a NetBSD repository somewhere with additional software.

There were a few variations on JLime distros. The one I used included several text editors, browsers, email, organizers, various tools and other programs. It automatically recognized my wired LAN and wireless wifi cards and connected to an unsecured network readily. There is a large repository hosted by hpcfactor. The GUI for ipkg management is pretty slow and buggy. But installing and removing ipkg programs from the terminal usually works well.

As to whether JLime is slow... It seems fast enough to me. But most of what I do is pretty light on graphics. However, WinCe does seem a bit faster.

For me, WinCE 3.0 plus RedGear, runs the programs that I find most useful. However, the available browsers won't handle current https sites. And the wifi card security is limited to WEP.
I was hoping that the JLime browsers would be better. But they are not. From what I have read, WPA1 is possible. I have installed the WPA_Supplicant, but I haven't taken time to set it up. I was about to do so, a couple of weeks back, when I stumbled on an article about a security hole affecting WPA1 and WPA2... which made me think, "Why bother?"

Awhile ago, we compared notes on using SSH via PocketPutty on WinCE. SSH works better, more reliably, and with more usable features, from the JLime terminal.

Thanks for the overview of NetBSD.

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-11-29 8:49 PM
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-12-08 9:59 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Dave Wurm,

Thank you for the info about JLime. From what you are saying it doesn't sound that bad, depends on what you are expecting to get out of it.

Yes, the HTTPS browsing is an issue. In NetBSD the links text browser allows https but obviously no pictures, which is sometimes ok for me cause it at least allows you to read through wiki pages and allows software downloads via HTTP and FTP which is not too bad I think. I was on WinCE 3.0 for a long time and when you intend to use your Jornada as a little email machine with npopuk and SSL it's a nice thing. I've also got a few network tools licensed like ping and tftp and SSH on WinCE but SSH is very slow and is working better with 'up to date operating systems' like NetBSD.

NetBSD is fine for me cause I am currently using the 720 as a network node for testing and not as a personal computer at the moment. I like the fact that SSH is up to date and working well, the option to write scripts in bash and the fact that you can compile C code using gcc. It would be lovely to get the serial port working to access router and switches via a console cable would make the 720 a real backup device when doing consultancy jobs. But I have to admit that NetBSD is of cause not the first choice if you looking for a Desktop OS. WPA2 is also possible but you have to have the right firmware running on the wifi card as I recently discovered.

I am currently using the 720 without any backup battery at all allows me to power down the device completely and autoboot into NetBSD on poweron. The only downside is you have to set the date first thing after logging on but I can live with that (wrote a reminder welcome message when a user logs on).

I don't know about the shipping charges for a CF card to the UK but I can provide you with a fresh NetBSD install preconfigured on a CF if you send me a at least 1GB CF card if you like to have play with NetBSD. I am pretty sure if you want the X window system you have to configure swap. I did some testing with VMs and it turned out that a X window system will ask for 64MB of RAM when started up from the command line so you want your 32MB system with something like 64MB or 126MB swap configured when using X window system. A pure command line system is completely fine with no swap and 32MB RAM only even browsing and compiling code. So if you don't fire up X window no swap will be used at all.

Edited by netcat 2017-12-08 10:25 AM
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-12-09 8:10 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi netcat,
Your discussion of NetBSD was very interesting.
Your offer to install NetBSD on my CF card is much appreciated. I am giving it some thought (postage would be minimal, CF card is on hand...).
However, after reading a bit about NetBSD, I think my old brain is reaching its limit... and the degree of communication improvement sounds questionable.

My J720 has been updated with the J728 ROM board, so it has 64 MB available.

Currently, I have an 8 MB CF card installed. It is formatted with 4 MB as Win CE, and 4 MB as JLime. With JLime, the memory battery is not needed. One peculiarity with JLime is that it does not fully shut down. To shut down, the main battery must be pulled. At the next startup, it comes up in CE (from the internal ROM), and can be booted into JLime from there.

For most of my usage, CE serves me well. with added programs for word processing, HTML editing, Bible study...
The weakness is secure communication and internet. But most sensible folks have long ago moved to more modern devices for those functions.

At the moment, I'm thinking that I will not take you up on the offer. But it is greatly appreciated. (If I have a sudden change of mind, I'll send you a PM.)

Thank you!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.222 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9