x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netgear FA411 and Jornada 720 nearly working

1 2
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 1:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I bought a Netgear FA411 16 bit LAN adapter on a car boot sale and it looked like there are still plenty of these cards around. I thought I give it a try it might work or not but the problem is the answer ins't as binary as I would have expected it to be. If it would work, fine. If it doesn't work, fine as well but now I am stuck in the middle with a nearly working LAN adapter and it still botheres me, find it difficult to do anything else in the household, find it hard to get to sleep, things like that...

What is not working:

(1) J720 can't be pinged.
(2) Cant establish a TCP connection to another host (applications are timing out).
(3) DHCP is not working.

So what is working:

(1) When I plug the card in the lights are flashing up.
(2) I can assign a static IP address
(3) When trying to connect to abother host (TCP) I get the following:

The J720 is sending out ARP request, arping for the MAC of the host to connect to. Within the ARP request I can see the J720's IP address (the one I assigned).
The target host is responding with an ARP reply and the correcrt MAC.
Then nothing happens.
I would expect an TCP packet send to the host to establish a connection, but nothing.

So it works all the way down the OSI layer from the applicationt to the IP stack, then Layer 2 -> ARP request on the wire. Why isn't it working all the way back up to the IP stack to send the initial TCP-SYN packet?

Just tell me the adapter will never work on the J720 and I am happy with it.

Many thanks for looking into this,

Dennis

Device: HP Jornada 720
Hardware: Netgear FA411 PCMCIA LAN adapter 16 bit
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 2:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Are you using the NE2000 drivers native to the 720 or did it come with a driver cd?
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I am using the native NE2000 drivers. The driver package I found doesn't include a Win CE driver.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 5:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I assume you checked the registry under the hkey_local machine to verify the ne2000 settings were correct...

All I can say with certainty is that not all wifi cards work with the built in drivers...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 5:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you in a position to hard reset and try again?

This says it does work:
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://rothbe...

Someone has reported it working on CE4 too:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=645&pn=1&categoryId=-...

You aren't running a non-standard MTU are you? Also just try a point to point on a crossover if you have one?

Finally, does it work in a PC Card slot on a Windows PC? The car boot card could just be fried.
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-10 10:23 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Tried your suggestions, nothing will work.

Tried crossover cable directly, same outcome. Strange enought the J720 is sending DHCP Discover packets out to broadcast address when DHCP is enabled. It does send NBNS as well when static IP assigned. The adapter is correctly shown in Device Settings as Netgear-FA411, all correct.

Hardware reset didn't help but NE2000 device window comes up when plugging the adapter in for the first time like after hardware reset. Window did come up the day I bought the adapter as well. Restored to latest backup now, worked pretty well. I mean the restore.

I can't verify card is working cause I don't have old laptop with PCMCIA. But I captured ARP and NBNS and DHCP so adapter is working on Layer 2 and 3?

Dennis

Edited by netcat 2017-09-10 10:23 PM
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-11 8:43 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I suspect the NE2000 driver does not fully work with 10M/100M LAN adapters, maybe only plain 10M cards are suported? But the FA411 card was reported as working with NE2000 driver under Win CE 4.2. Does the ne2000.dll differ from the Win CE 3.0 one?

Edited by netcat 2017-09-11 8:44 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-09-11 12:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You know something you might try is a NE2000 driver from a compatible card.

For instance, the old Socket LP/E came with a NE2000 cab file for installation with pocketpc varients of CE 3 and CE 4.2. You might extract the NE2000.DLL from their installation package and overwrite the J720's default driver and see what happens.
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-11 2:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ne2000.dll

Cannot copy System or hidden file. :\
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-09-11 3:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No, but you can overwrite a system file with another...that is you can extract the driver from an install cab file and copy it onto the handheld overwriting the old ne2000 with a newer or different one.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-09-12 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

IIRC built-in explorer won't allow you to "overwrite" (it does not overwrite, it just "updates" and you can always erase the file) the in-ROM file. Total Commander allows that.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-09-12 11:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Always loved total commander for CE, not so much for the Android version...
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-13 12:23 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I've downloaded vxUtils (and got it licensed) and I am able to ping my own IP address but nothing else on the network. Clearly tells me that ARP is failing. I am getting another LAN adapter in from a different vendor this week which should work with the native ne2000 driver as well. I will give it some testing before updating the ne2000.dll with other software. Btw what package would you recommend to update the ne2000.dll with?

Edited by netcat 2017-09-13 12:25 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-09-13 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

> I will give it some testing before updating the ne2000.dll with other software.

There is no point in waiting for new adapter because you can unhide the ROM file by deleting what you copied onto it at any moment.
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-09-14 2:43 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I downloaded driver software for other 10/100M and 10M LAN adapters in order to upgrade the native ne2000.dll but they are all x86 .exe files and I got no hardware to connect the 720 via Active Sync. Is there a suiteable .cap file which I could try to install in order to update native ne2000 driver?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 27