x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A New Psion!

1 2 3 4 5
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-05 9:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2019-07-04 9:23 PM

Android on the Gemini is not bad. You can do the full screen/no-status-bars stuff and produce magnificent real estate for TextMaker, HandBase, etc and the machine does work as a true phone, given the caveat of its clam-shell format.

My wife despises it, another bonus, since she's never using it

Jake
I think you just invented an entire mens-line products advertising strategy. Quick, sell it to Saatchi & Saatchi
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-05 3:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
You’re onto something, Chris. Imagine a shiny picture of the Gemini surrounded by an enticing circle of blurbs from unhappy wives:

“I hate it!”

“What a waste of money!”

“I want a divorce!”
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-05 3:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-05 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-07-06 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hey Jake, have you tried Linux Deploy on your Gemini yet? Also, can you really hide the status bar? Is this a built in feature or do you have to tweak settings or install apps of some sort? This is a big advantage, given that a status bar is useless and just waste screen space on a device with a keyboard.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-07-19 2:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got my Gemini today! Shipping from HK to US took only 1 day via UPS!! It was shipped yesterday and I got it this afternoon. This was the fastest multi-country shipping I've ever seen! The device seems really cool, I'm loving it so far. I know it is supposed to be the "new Psion", but since I never had a Psion, to me this is a new Jornada. Keyboard is good, takes some time to get used to it, but the keys are pretty well sized given the size of the handheld. I'm flashing the rooted android + linux firmware and will play with it for a bit. If I get the time, I might even write a review about the device for HPC Factor. Would the Gemini count as an HPC even if it is not running WinCE?
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-07-19 1:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I'd love to read a review!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-19 1:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

"Granular Immersive Mode" Pro will let you hide both side and status bars for apps of your choosing.

You sound rooted, so you'll be able to do that without adb (I went back to stock Nougat). Can't recommend Granular enough--it's seemingly built for the Gem.

I've heard about Linux Deploy. The thing is, the Gem is my phone, so I can't dabble too much in Linux. That, and I found Android could cover all my needs, starting with TextMaker HD.

I don't think I've installed a new app in over a year; my setup is pretty copacetic.

I did not upgrade to Oreo as I've heard about high battery usage. But that seems anecdotal; check out the Gem forum over at oesf.

Congrats on your machine,
Jake

Edited by Jake 2019-07-19 1:40 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-19 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'd like to read it too ^__^
I'd be more than happy to post it if you are willing to write it.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9