x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A New Psion!

1 2 3 4 5
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Think it will have the power to run everything you'd want on a Ubuntu desktop?

One thing I saw in that video was the difficulty, or at least very careful finger placement, with the touchscreen in Ubuntu. So if it could handle it, CPU-wise, an ad hoc desktop might be a good idea.

Jake
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 11:32 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey, as long as it runs Quake, right!?

I'd only be looking to run some email, word processing and spreadsheets and video streaming services (Netflix et al). Even the Android option should do those things. I agree, Linux on that tiny screen....with my eyes! Should be nice on a big external monitor though. Odd that Planet Computers have barely mentioned using it with an external screen. If current Apple/Android smartphones did this, linked to a mouse, businesses could save £££ using them as all in one PC-phone replacements for non-power-user staff.
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-10 1:58 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2017-11-08 3:00 PM

Think it will have the power to run everything you'd want on a Ubuntu desktop?

I don't know. I'd prefer Debian with LXDE, which should be fine. It's what I run on my Lenovo R500, which is still my main computer, despite being 9 years old.

The problem (for me) with switching this particular device to Linux is that you might lose the phone functionality.
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-10 2:00 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2017-11-08 2:19 PM

I think I use my phone, prolly every day, for talking, and I don't have a landline. The headset would work for making calls; it might be cumbersome for answering calls.

Have a look at this review: https://www.pcmag.com/review/344298/plantronics-voyager-5200

Apparently, you can tell the headset to answer via voice control.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2017-11-10 9:41 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The Gemini has an e-SIM (even the WiFi-only model), which I think let’s you share your mobile phone’s account (for a provider’s fee of course) in the same way the Apple Watch does. This should make the Gemini a handy addition to a phone but perhaps only a pseudo-replacement?
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-10 2:31 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

nicmalone - 2017-11-10 1:41 AM

The Gemini has an e-SIM (even the WiFi-only model), which I think let’s you share your mobile phone’s account (for a provider’s fee of course) in the same way the Apple Watch does. This should make the Gemini a handy addition to a phone but perhaps only a pseudo-replacement?

It has a regular SIM slot too though. Link The tech specs are well down the page.

So hopefully it could function as a complete replacement.

Edited by Mobi 2017-11-10 2:37 PM
 Top of the page
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2017-12-04 9:13 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

There's a very nice article about the Gemini here: http://jmcomms.com/2017/11/29/gemini-pda-20-years-on-meet-the-all-n...
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-01-24 1:24 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm a backer, got an email yesterday that they intend to ship first production run soon. Hopefully ahead of Chinese New Year (Friday, February 16). Further hoping any of us on this board are in the first batch!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-02-23 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Did folks see the latest update? They're shipping, but without Linux. Just like the GPD Pocket, the developers couldn't pull it off.

Their solution is interesting: they basically said, we don't know we're doing, not yet,so they're pushing 4 half-finished Linuxes into traffic, all open source. They're providing a PC flasher to install the Linux with ability to remove said Linux if needed.

It's a little more transparent the the Pocket approach, since Gemini is openly asking for help from the average geek. Glad I held back, but I'm hopeful that 2nd or 3rd gen will have its act together.

Jake
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-23 6:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Not keen, but there is a wee drive that can hook a Psion 5 keyboard to a small system on chip.

Now if we could source a letterbox screen that would fit in case of a 5mx/5 i am damn sure i could fit a Pi Zero inside the case. I want that original keyboard. Could probs fit an internal battery and maybe option of 2x14500 as a backup/emergency in old AA slot. Or even option of chucking in AA as a backup to internal Li-ion.

I'd have maybe liked better if keyboard was as good as original (apparently very close) but can't forgive the waste of screen. For something with that sort of keyboard indicating you could sit and type something more serious than just basic entry and a letterbox screen would have really made that experience stack up.

Also needing special versions of apps for certain keyboard stuff which obv will be limited.

I am impressed at a lot of what they did but canny forgive screen for its intended purpose. Also thinking of trying to hook up a smartbook keyboard to USB somehow... Should be able to fit PI 3 or full I/o compute module. 7" touch screen and a decent amount of battery thinking parellel banks of 2 18650 so get something like 7-8000mAh.

With retro pi could even make a great portable retro game machine as well as a huge batt length linux hpc or even risc OS.

Need to figure out keyboard first and find a dead smartbook if i could would use screen in it but think a step to far and hope the 7" Rpi screen can be made to fit
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-05-02 6:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Received mine yesterday. I like it.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 6:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Congrats SMB!
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 11:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I got mine as well. Here it is with my Jornada 720:

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HjwFZyC.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/HjwGhDL.jpg

Edited by Duckworth 2018-05-03 11:18 PM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 11:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Duckworth - 2018-05-03 3:01 PM

I got mine as well. Here it is with my Jornada 720:

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HjwFZyC.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/HjwGhDL.jpg

Nice side by side!

Since my last post, I erased and flashed with the rooted firmware.

Also activated a Freedompop SIM in it for 4G. One bad side effect was they quickly ran through the spiel about a second SIM card in the mail and I wasn't able to refuse before they put the 2nd order in. Seems to catch 4G on AT&T network. Couldn't figure out how to place a phone call yet, but that's probably an artifact of me turning the phone's mobile data off until needed. Anyway, no intent to do voice or text. Just 4G when out without wifi and also low on main line's 4G data for the month.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-05 7:57 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just saw the comparison of the Gemini and J720.

Nice formfactor & size. :-)
The fact that it has USB-C is very modern and smart and also compatible with other modern laptops so you don't have to worry about so much "proprietory" things...

I am debating with my inner self whether to buy this... haha maybe when I can afford it!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14