x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Was there a Windows CE 3.0 ROM released for the Vadem Clio C-1050?

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-10-14 10:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

While poking around the Web tonight I came across a 2002 post on Brighthand that mentioned a ROM upgrade for the Clio C-1050 with the Windows CE 3.0 core OS (not H/PC 2000), like what was originally installed on ViewSonic's ViewPad 100:

http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/windows-ce-net-will-be-availabl...

Any old CE veterans ever heard anything about this? As I mentioned in my review of the device here, there were plans to upgrade, but I never heard anything about it actually happening.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-10-15 4:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The Vadem Clio (and Sharp Tripad) are my absolute favorite handhelds. I vaguely remember hearing about this, a company leased the design and was going to release an updated version of the C-1050 (as well as ROM upgrades) but ended up only re-badging it under their own moniker without making any changes. *Edit* I'm going from memory, so some I could be wrong.

Edited by HPC:Fan 2017-10-15 4:30 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-10-15 8:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

See my review for more on that:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/vadem/clio-c-1050/

At the time I wrote that review, the information I had obtained from my Internet research seemed to suggest an H/PC 2000 ROM was in the works, but the post I linked above seemed to suggest a core CE 3 ROM rather than an H/PC 2000 ROM may have actually been released. Now I'm wondering what really happened.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-10-16 5:30 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've read your review, a couple of times (and enjoy it each time). It's been a while since last, this is where I may be confusing some of my details. I know that I remember it (the Vadem) was getting a refreshed version but it never came to fruition. And instead, like mentioned above, it was released without any changes except for the branding. If there are 3.0 Core update ROM's floating around, I'm sure very few people know what it is, and have it installed "in that one old computer in their closet".

I'm going to keep an eye out too, would really love to score one for mine.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9