x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A 1999 NTT Docomo Browser Board

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 4:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I've picked up a 1999 NTT Docomo Browser Board which is pretty rare even here in Japan.

Pretty interesting device, although it doesn't run the Microsoft Handheld PC (Windows CE) OS, it has the feel that is similar to one of the early ones made in the late 90's.

The device could connect to the internet via a cell phone / PHS at speed of 9600bps (cell phone) and 32Kbps / 64Kbps (PHS).
User memory: 6MB, and 3.4MB could be used.

(browserboard.jpg)

(browserboard2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments browserboard.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments browserboard2.jpg (85KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
What a find, stingraze! And what a waste of screen! Those hard icons take about 1/3 of the display.

What's available on it? WP? PIM?

Congrats, it's very cool,
Jake
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's very cool, I feel like Japan has the best toys when it comes to handhelds. So what can it do? Is it still usable?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I haven't really figured out what it can do right that is useful now, since the cell phone service probably is finished.

I was playing around with it a bit and figured out that there is a "keyboard game" which is a Katakana scrolling from right to left and you're supposed to type it. There is also a handwritten memo app, I think.

I've just found a technical journal from NTT DoCoMo for it online! (PDF)
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/binary/pdf/corporate/technology/...

I wish there was a way to somehow convert the very old cell phone service to a landline modem or a 4G, then it will be really cool. haha
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 10:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2017-11-27 11:39 PM

What a find, stingraze! And what a waste of screen! Those hard icons take about 1/3 of the display.

What's available on it? WP? PIM?

Congrats, it's very cool,
Jake

Thanks, I think the Sigmarion 3 has a similar setup, maybe NTT DoCoMo liked those icons.

Yes, I think there is a PIM, but I found a very simple "Keyboard game".

Edited by stingraze 2017-11-27 11:07 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-27 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What a strange little machine.

Re: old internet connections. I've recently inherited a Psion Series 7, which has made me start to rummage in my basement for my Nokia E90, the last of the communicators to come with infrared. I'm thinking of trying a GPRS connection to the Psion's IR port, but I'm wrestling w/ the dilemma of the time this will entail

Your keyboard reminds a bit of the Sharp Zaurus, the original, one of my all-time favorite devices. When Sharp gave up Synergy, I came to WinCE.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-11-28 5:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was looking at the specs of the Browser Board from the NTT DoCoMo technical journal, and it too has ASK & IrDA as Infra Red communication. I wonder if it will work...

Yes, the Sharp Zaurus (non-Japanese model) seems to have a similar form factor etc.

My collection of PDAs are quite liquid in its size it goes up and down in count once in a while. I'm recently interested in the rarer mobile handhelds that are sometimes available at ridiculously cheap prices in a store called HARD OFF.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-28 6:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Geez, ASK. I haven't thought of that protocol in a long time. I think the Sharp Mobilons had an ASK feature so you could beam from Zaurus to CE.

The Z had an IR port but you couldn't use it to get on-line, only for PIM stuff. You had to use an attachable dial-up modem called a Sidecar.

And thanks for the Hard Off tip

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11