x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-02-08 6:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay CEGeek...or anyone else...

Anyone tried flashing CE to an WM8880 netbook? Just received one I ordered with Android Jelly Bean 4.2 on it for $42 (that included delivery). Nothing special, your typical Chinese built all white plastic cheapo 10.1" netbook with 1024 x 600 pixel resolution. Very similar to the old Wabook Sky I owned.

Works pretty fast actually...though battery life seems to suck on it...3 hours max with wifi on using battery only.

Anyways want to play with CE again...I think.

And if you are curious as to where I bought it...I downloaded an app called "Wish" from the Google Play Store. It is some online catalog for a ton of Chinese imports at really super prices...but this is not an endoresement...just a comment of personal belief. Still the netbook came within normal time...intact and working and brand new at a price that I couldn't even come close to matching elsewhere.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-02-08 9:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Three hours with WiFi on is pretty standard for those machines.

I've never seen CE firmware for the WM8880 anywhere online, and yes, I've looked. There is apparently a 7-inch WM8880 with CE -

http://www.eforchina.com/view/3212/Windows-CE-Notebook-PC--7.0-inch...

https://www.sunsky-online.com/view/33613/7.0%20inch%20Windows%20CE%2...

- but the "firmware" links don't produce actual firmware files.

Don't know if it would be possible to flash WM8850 firmware on it - there is WEC 7 firmware for the WM8850.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-19 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Seems to be a wm8650 rom here modified from Russian to English http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/23097-custom-wm8650-7-netbook-windo...
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-19 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Charbax vid where he saw a 13.3" 8880 which said could dual good android and ce.

Maybe worth a hunt using any info in vid to see if turns up anything
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-19 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-02-20 11:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice to hear from you again, mr-mac.

The WM8650 and WM88xx are incompatible with one another. The reflash packages are completely different. wicknix is known here on HPC:Factor as RTFM. I've tinkered with multiple WM8650 ROMs quite a while ago, including some with Windows Embedded Compact 7. There are several threads talking about those ROMs here. But they won't flash onto either an 8850 or 8880. And CE 6 is pretty old now; for a newer device like that I'd at least want to have WEC 7. (I don't think there has ever been an actual release of WEC 2013.) (I admit a 13" version would be nice in any event. Haven't seen that yet.)
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-20 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Not using much hpc now have a sig 3 and a smartbook (though dead batt and no sure if have a working batt circuit)

Tbh looking for something at moment that has great keyboard and decent size/res screen.

Doing some RPI projects using RISC OS and going to code up my own smart thermostat including making 1-wire sensors work over uart. Anyway due to wee man being autistic i will mostly be coding on couch and wanted something fairly light with long batt to VNC the risc OS RPI. Only HPC i can see that fits good res/quality screen,keyboard, batt life is the old JVC mp-c33 thing with the mips cpu and larger screen but doubt I'll ever find one.

Also been looking everywhere for some kind of reasonable ARM linux laptop as a more avail alternative. Struggling on that one too. May need to grab a chrome book with ARM that will take linux easily and has a supported build. But no sure what's best deal/hardware/option and so little info that really covers it. May just see if can get smartbook running with high capacity cells for VNC till i build a risc OS laptop out of an atrix dock and internal pi zero.

Kinda popped in here as thought may be something cool eminated from china more recently but guess not. Though that 13" thing i posted looks nice i can't see them anywhere.

Hope your well

John

Edited by mr-mac 2018-02-20 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-20 1:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wish something ARM same form factor as wistron p-book was about with ARMLinux.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-02-20 5:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mr-mac - 2018-02-20 1:48 PM

Wish something ARM same form factor as wistron p-book was about with ARMLinux.

May just need to get a netbook pro as size, shape, extra 200 vertical, stability on chair arm etc and i can plug in USB mouse (cos need middle click) should make it a good long batt vnc machine.

If smartbook not dead I'll re-cell it and use it as a trial vnc machine see if idea works well. If not got a working batt circuit i am thinking of taking it to bits and fitting Rpi and Rpi screen in case for smartbook and see if can get keyboard working.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8