x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 720 with Proxim Orinoco Gold PCMCIA WiFi Adapter

1 2
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-02-27 11:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

All,

Just getting into the retro HPC scene and haven't established ActiveSync connection yet.

I just got one of the Proxim cards via eBay auction and it isn't lighting up. The drivers appear to be part of WinCE 3.0. Would I need to load an additional driver in order for this card to function properly?

If so, can anyone point me to the correct driver?

Thanks,

Steve
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-02-27 6:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can try the standard Agere driver:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={E90C2D34-8DC2-4C8...

Inside the downloaded ZIP file is another ZIP file called Inflated.zip. Inside that you'll find several CAB files, one for each processor type. Since you haven't specified which device you have, we can't tell you which processor you have, but you can find out by opening "System" in the Control Panel. Once you've copied the correct CAB file to the device, you can just open the file on the device to install the driver. (Without using an ActiveSync connection, it's just a matter of copying the file onto a CF card and then inserting the card into the device.)

Note, however, that the Proxim cards don't always work with the Agere drivers for Windows CE. Which card do you have? The RangeLAN should work, but the Proxim version of the ORiNOCO is hit-and-miss.
 Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-02-27 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wouldn't my device type be Jornada 720 (in the post subject?)

At any rate, it's a 206Mhz ARM chipset if memory serves me correctly.

Orinoco Proxim Model 8480-FC. Just ordered an old Cisco adapter as well (that was on the HCL) as a backup plan if this doesn't work

Thanks,

Steve
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-02-28 3:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Duh. (Clearly I had scrolled down so that the title wasn't visible.)

The one marked "SA1100" would be the one you want. However, that particular model is unfortunately incompatible with CE devices as it's a 32-bit CardBus card (as opposed to a 16-bit PCMCIA). (The tipoff is the gold strip along the inserted end.) No Windows CE device supports CardBus cards.

Older Agere-based cards (under the brand names Agere or Lucent) are very reliable for use in CE devices. I've had an Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold for over a decade.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-01 12:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And another thing is that even though the cards support higher security protocols, i.e. WPA, WPA-PSK, etc...the vintage handhelds don't. The best you can do with a Jornada under normal circumstances is WEP encryption.
 Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-03-01 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'll ensure that I'm setup for WEP on the AP.

Another question, the connector on the back of the Jornada dock and the back corner of the Jornada 720 doesn't appear to be regular USB - appears to be proprietary.

Doing a quick search, this link shows up:
http://www.usedhandhelds.com/usb-cable-for-hp-jornada-720-728-handh...

However, that connector type doesn't look valid either, even though the description appears valid.

I'd love to try and find a USB instead of serial cable for easier connectivity to my Surface Pro 4 laptop. Does anyone happen to have the PN for the proper cable or will the one at the above URL work?

Thanks!

Steve
 Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-03-01 4:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

And I guess a follow-on question - does ActiveSync run ok on Windows 10 and/or sync still to Outlook 2016? . I know that may be asking a LOT but it would be ultra cool to get my work email and calendar on the Jornada 720!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-03-01 11:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

swasko - 2018-03-02 1:07 AM

I'll ensure that I'm setup for WEP on the AP.

Another question, the connector on the back of the Jornada dock and the back corner of the Jornada 720 doesn't appear to be regular USB - appears to be proprietary.

Doing a quick search, this link shows up:
http://www.usedhandhelds.com/usb-cable-for-hp-jornada-720-728-handh...

However, that connector type doesn't look valid either, even though the description appears valid.

I'd love to try and find a USB instead of serial cable for easier connectivity to my Surface Pro 4 laptop. Does anyone happen to have the PN for the proper cable or will the one at the above URL work?

Thanks!

Steve

The connector referenced in your URL is for connecting via cradle to Jornada 720, not connecting directly to Jornada 720.

Edited by stingraze 2018-03-01 11:59 PM
 Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-03-02 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I JUST saw that there is a little sliding door on the port on the back. Slide it one way - proprietary connector. The other way, usb. Sweet!

However, ActiveSync 3.8 for CE 3.0/HPC 2000 doesn't seem to run under Windows 10 . Anyone find a workaround here? I may have to spin up an older version of Windows in a VM to get AS to work.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-03-02 5:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There isn't one, the stack changed. A VM and a USB/Serial pass-through or an old PC is your best option.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-03 12:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I love VirtualXP/Virtualbox on Windows 10. Works great for me....as I posted here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17711&po...

Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-03-03 8:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Very nice!

I have VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro and got XP Pro going yesterday. Started with Windows 7 and realized hat wouldn’t work so dropped back to XP. Certainly makes installing software easier

Quick question, what is the last version of Outlook compatible with ActiveSync 3.8? I tried Outlook 2007 and I think that’s too new to sync.

Thanks,

Steve
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-03 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Fairly sure 2003 worked fine... Last of old style before the new top bars appeared. It was office 2003 I had a full copy of
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-03-04 8:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

2003 SP3
 Top of the page
swasko Page Icon Posted 2018-03-04 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I take that back - Outlook 2007 IS syncing
 Top of the page