x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 10 - I finally get it. (And Atom doesn't suck!)

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Let's start this off by going through my experiences with the "new generation" of Windows starting at Windows 8. I was looking forward to Windows 8, so much in fact I was lucky enough to get a developer preview which later became a release candidate and was quite happy with how well it ran on a single core computer with just 2GB of ram. Eventually though, the push to make Windows 8 a touch-centric OS didn't make sense, especially since it was also designed to be run on laptops and desktops without touch screens. I quickly grew tired of Windows 8 and the various charms and full screen start menu.

Fast forward to Windows 10 announcements, again I started looking forward to the release. But again, I felt like it was too touch orientated. They definitely made huge improvements with usability for non-touch screen devices, but mix in privacy concerns and all that it made me just forgo it and stick with Windows 7.

Last week, my perception of Windows 10 changed. My neighbor who also happens to be a good friend decided to buy a second hand Surface 3. Long story short, it wasn't for him. But he let me borrow it for a few days if I could reset the computer for him for an eventual buyer. So here I sat, with a Surface 3 with Windows 10. For starters, I was never a fan of tablets, unless they had a detachable keyboard. Secondly, it's Windows 10. But the more I played around with it, the more I began to enjoy using it. Surprisingly, once I got to know my way around Windows 10 I started to "get" Windows 10. Windows 10 really shines on the Surface. He's got a touch cover for his, which was a bit weird to use. But going from a laptop-esque machine, to a tablet running full Windows was pretty handy.

It fills two needs, content consumption and content creation. You can now endlessly watch youtube videos in bed but attach a keyboard and write an office document on the same device without any fuss. I like the idea of a single machine replacing several. The Surface sure does attempt rather well to do just that.

Now, there are still things that Windows 10 needs to improve upon. For example, Windows 10 is touch centric. Yet, if you attempt to use the Surface with your finer and don't turn on the tablet mode, things are just too small to actually use. I've found myself constantly clicking on wrong menu items, or closing a window instead of maximizing it. This isn't a problem in tablet mode, as your apps / programs go full screen.

Another annoyance is how sometimes I get thrown back to Windows XP era windows screens from Metro styled windows. For example, some choices in the Metro settings app throws you over to the "classic" control panel. I'm sure this will get better and better, but it makes me feel that Windows 10 isn't completely finished.

I also do not like how Windows 10 has to collect every piece of information about you and what you're doing. From logging your keystrokes to your voice commands to Cortana, your location and how you use your apps... When is enough, enough? I get the reason behind the need for *some* of this, but Windows 10 goes above and beyond with phoning home.

With all that being said, I finally get Windows 10. It truly shines on a Surface tablet, I've even gone as far and installed Windows 10 on my laptop. And while I wish my laptop had a touch screen, I find that using Windows 10 with a keyboard and mouse only isn't half bad.

The real star of the Surface though, is it's Atom processor. I haven't toyed with Atom processors since their usages in Netbooks back in '08. Boy they left a bad taste in my mouth. They ran relatively OK on Windows XP based machines, could even play 720p movies as long as they were encoded correctly. So with that in mind, I wasn't really expecting much from the Surface. I kinda viewed it as a low tier tablet with Windows plastered on.

That couldn't be further from the truth. During my few days of usage, Atom snapped through Windows programs, 1080p Youtube videos ran smoothly. I even saw a video on Youtube where a guy used his tablet with multiple screens AND running relatively intensive apps at the same time - All on the Intel Atom processor.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. Sorry for the long and poorly written wall of text.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Still think 8.1 and 8.1 RT had it spot on for tablet interface and 10 isn't as nice on tablet
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Never got to play with Win 8 on a tablet. But I think you're right. It was more optimized for touch.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The slide up full app list and horiz scrolling and everything was far preferable to me.

Don't understand why they don't still have a tablet mode like that tbh as its best tablet mode of any competititor for navigating and speed of use
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 10:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yeah, I agree with you: Win10 is not bad. I guess that's a hollow endorsement, but I have it on a 4-year-old Asus Transformer and the T's 2gb of RAM and 32-bit transformer handle it admirably, as responsive as Win10 on my 8gb/64-bit GPD Pocket.

I can't do the touch stuff, even on the larger Asus, so I've installed Classic Shell on any machine beyond XP.

As an aside, the developer of Classic Shell threw in the towel, saying that the constant upgrades of Win10 (every 6 months) kept him too busy. So I imagine Win10's next upgrade may bring CS to a halt. Hope somebody wants to pick up development--he's released the source.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-03-06 6:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in my office last month. So far I'm not particularly impressed with Windows 10 - it's harder to navigate. (They did upgrade to a nice touchscreen notebook PC though. )
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-03-06 8:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

At first, it took a while getting used to when I first used Windows 10.

But then, I think it's a really good OS for desktops.
In my opinion, it's "ok" in a 13 inch laptop (I have a Lifebook by Fujitsu with 7th gen. i5). The touch panel works well.
I think a 24inch monitor is optimum for Windows 10. lol

Recently, I use OS X for laptop use...

Edited by stingraze 2018-03-06 8:50 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9