x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Mullenger's Windows CE 4.2 ROM upgrade for the SIMpad

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-21 1:55 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I just got an ibiz serial keyboard for my 4.2 CE'd Simpad. When loading the driver, it keeps telling me the ibiz driver already exists. When I click on the serial keyboard feature in Win control panel to enable the serial keyboard, it enables, but no keystrokeas work on my simpad (ex: nothing enters in wordpad when I type in) If serial kerboard is "x'd" out, and i tap the keyboard, a serial connection is attempted (even though I have it set to use usb).

Any ideas on what is wrong?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-21 2:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please don't double post. You've created your own thread: cleared
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-21 4:25 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Erm...sorry

I probably should've posted here first - even though it seems like a generic hardware issue, it may be also an issue with the CE4.2 Simpad upgrade, I am hoping Simon (Mullenger) will see and respond to this post.

Any way I can delete the other (hardware) thread?
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 5:16 AM
#
Hi,

The ibiz keyboard works, without drivers, in all the latest official Siemens SIMpad images.
Make sure you either have batteries in the keyboard or have told the keyboard to use SIMpad's serial power supply (small switch on keyboard).

I don't have any iBiz keyboards left, but they do work without drivers as long as you have the latest image installed. What image are you using? "S842...."

Best reagrds
Simon
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 5:36 AM
#
Hi, read slowly Simon. I can see you are using Windows CE 4.2 which I put the iBiz driver into too.
I have no idea why the keystrokes aren't coming through, it certainly did work when I tried iBiz keyboards in the past.
Sorry not to be of any other help.
Simon
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 8:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I would have preferred you to have used the other thread, however, thread deleted as requested.
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 10:23 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have a Jornada 540 that I was able to test the ibiz Keysync on - the keyboard works fine on that one, regardless of the position of the keyboard switch (so it works on battery and off of hp serial power).

I tried again using it on the 4.2 Simpad with out any luck. I tried putting a null modem on the serial cable - still no luck.

I thought I saw somwhere that Siemens made a special serial keyboard driver for the Simpad to match up with the Lumberg serial port - any thoughts on this?

Is there a way to unload the ROM'd serkbdrv.exe that is in the \windows directory? I was trying to install off of the disk that came with the keyboard, but still no luck.

It may have more to do with finding the Siemens version of serkbdrv.exe - any chances anyone out there has a copy of that one to send me?
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 11:17 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

May be another issue here - I am checking the serial cable (SIE S25/C25/3508) and it doesnt correspond to the literature i found online for the SL4! Is this the right # for the serial cable?
When I took the cover off of the Lumberg plug, I find the following connections: Black to Pin1, Blue to Pin5, White to Pin6. According to my Siemens manual (p64/74) that corresponds to: Blk=>Com, Blu=>RTS, Wht=>DSR. There are no wires to TXD/RXD? How can this work?
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 11:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

markg - 2006-05-22 4:23 PM

Is there a way to unload the ROM'd serkbdrv.exe that is in the \windows directory? I was trying to install off of the disk that came with the keyboard, but still no luck.

yep, rename it and do a soft reset. let me know if that worked, if not, i still have some ideas

however the problem may be elsewhere
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 4:06 PM
#
Hi,
Please feel free to move this serial leyboard thread somewhere else.

I have built a debugging serkbdrv.exe for the SIMpad for you to test. Download it from "http://www.mullengers.com/filearea/serkbdrv.exe" and copy into the \Windows directory overwriting the one that is there already.

Reset the SIMpad with a "pen-in-the-back" reset. Goto SIMpad Start->Programs->Serial Keyboard and run it and click OK.

Run Wordpad and make sure it has the "keyboard entry focus (click on it)" type some iBiz keys. The test keyboard driver above will click if it gets any data from the serial port (normla one is silent). It will also print the scancodes coming from the serial port (normal one does not). Serial port settings if the serkbdrv is running are 9600 baud 8,n,1.

Finally make sure you are using a proper Siemens SIMpad serial cable. Not a Siemens mobile phone serial cable as the wiring in the "Lumberg jack" is dfferent. The SIMpad serial cable is a proper 12volt to 12volt RS232 NULL modem cable.

Pin 1 GND
Pin 2 TXD, Output
Pin 3 RXD, Input
Pin 4 DTR, Output
Pin 5 RTS, Output
Pin 6 DSR, Input
Pin 7 CTS, Input
Pin 8 DCD, Input
Pin 9 Microphone -, Input
Pin 10 Microphone +, Input
Pin 11 Ear +, Output
Pin 12 Ear -, Output

Simon
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 4:43 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Simon - Never mind - I found out the problem (see above post re lumberg cable). My ebayed Simpad evidently came with a non-Simpad cable ( I dont know how the previous owner used it - it only had pins 1,5 and 6 wired) It's part # was SIE S24/C25/3508. I have no idea what that siemens cable is for (cellphones perhaps?)

Anyway, I cut the lumberg cable and made a new serial cable from scratch (using pinouts from a Siemens manual .pdf (p64/74). They match what you just posted. After testing to make sure my pinouts were correct, with no shorts or opens, I hooked it up to the keyboard........and it works!! Sorry for all the trouble, but now i have to look for a proper cable - mine works , but it is quite klugey ( soldering the pins on a lumberg plug is not fun!)

Does anybody know the correct part# and where to find a correct Siemens serial cable? -----Simon?
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 10:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Does it mean CE 4.2 already has the driver? Otherwise, what driver are you using? I'm thinking of using the keyboard with my Skeye.pad SL with CE 4.2.
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-04-24 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Simon, the link to http://www.mullengers.com/filearea/serkbdrv.exe is broken. Could you or somebody else make the driver available so that I can try it with my Keysync serial keyboard on Skeye.pad SL with CE .NET 4.2? Thank you!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-24 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm IIRC I have that in my simpad cenet 4.2 image, drop me an email to remind me to send the file (if I remembered right, of course)
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-04-25 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks. Email sent. I may need to make an adapter with special wiring that corresponds exactly to Siemens' connector as it's different from a standard DB9 wiring (most pins are wired in a standard manner but a few in a special way).
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 29