x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Mullenger's Windows CE 4.2 ROM upgrade for the SIMpad

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 8:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Most SIMpad users will revel in the liberal licensing conditions that exist around SIMpad ROM's. Users can move between HPC2000, CE 4.0, CE 4.1 and SIM Linux in both English and German languages at will. All as part of the license for the SIMpad hardware.

Windows CE 4.2, however, is the release considered by most where Microsoft finally got Windows CE .net 'right'. Siemens withdrew the line before the 4.2 release from Microsoft, and most at that time considered the SIMpad to be finalised. Most, but notl Simon Mullenger. Simon's British company Mullenger released a Windows CE Net 4.2 ROM image offering a new lease of life to the Gigaset line.
Over the past year Simon has been honing the release, fixing some of the more notorious bugs seen in the existing CE 4 ROM images, adding new features and perfecting the product.
Guest reviewer Andreas Stürmer provides a glimpse into the ROM upgrade, to see if it is really worth the update.

Read the review and have your say here on the forums.

Review: Windows CE 4.2 for the SIMpad
 Top of the page Quote Reply
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

An interesting insight - thanks for that!

One thing that does have me scratching my head is the full fee for re-installing the OS: I can see exactly why the OS isn't supplied on CD, as doing so would kill the market overnight, but on the other hand it seems rather harsh to charge people £75 if they decide they'd like to try something else and return to something that they already have...

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 5:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yea, it is a bit of a bind.

If he could sort out some sort of flash over secure FTP, issue people with a ticket and only allow a client application to access it, it would sort the problem out... of course that's a heck of a lot of work on its own.

Free reflash if you pay the shipping & the serial numbers / MAC address match?
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 10:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Interesting insight indeed. I'm a little confused, however, by one sentence:
There are CE.net 4.x specific applications available from many developers as well, with the lions share of them being orientated towards CE 4.2.

Hmm, is it really the lion share orientated towards 4.2? If so I haven't seen many apps resulting from this yet. There's indeed an increasing number of programs written for 4.x, especially in Japan. But 4.2? Seems I don't know as many software libs as I thought.
I happen to know Andreas, so I did ask him where to find this lion share. He didn't know either...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 8:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jurgen,

4.2 unlike 4.0 and 4.1 is the only release to have a standardised SDK at its disposal. Most CE4 development there for revolves around this SDK, as 4.0 and 4.1 releases are device specific and not OS specific.
The fact that a good chunk of applications will run back down on 4.0 and 4.1 is a godo thing, but most developers aim at 4.2.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 8:32 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-08-03 6:14 AM

Jurgen,

4.2 unlike 4.0 and 4.1 is the only release to have a standardised SDK at its disposal. Most CE4 development there for revolves around this SDK, as 4.0 and 4.1 releases are device specific and not OS specific.
The fact that a good chunk of applications will run back down on 4.0 and 4.1 is a godo thing, but most developers aim at 4.2.

And may I add that 4.0/4.1 SDK is only available from vendors and are specific to each device. While most apps developed using these SDKs will still work on other devices, the problem of getting an SDK is moot to start with! grrr

Granted, I'm with you in a sense that 4.2 devices are somewhat not very apparent, whereas 4.1 devices (in the form of PPC2003) is rampant.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-08-03 2:32 PM

Granted, I'm with you in a sense that 4.2 devices are somewhat not very apparent, whereas 4.1 devices (in the form of PPC2003) is rampant.

??? :confused:
no ppc2003 exists. it's called wm2003. and wm2003 core is ce.net 4.2. wm2003SE core is 4.21.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 10:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PPC2003 is most certainly 4.2 based, not 4.1 as cmonex rightly said
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 8:59 AM
#
Hi,
You are right in that the Pocket PC 2003 builds are based on the Windows CE 4.2 SDK with the extra stuff that makes them "Pocket PC 2003".
The SIMpad CE 4.2 build only has the Standard Windoes CE 4.2 SDK with AYGSHELL (but it is not exactly the same as Pocket PC 2003), but you will find some additional DLLs included to help more Pocket PC 2003 programs to run on the SIMpad.
Best regards
Simon
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 9:05 AM
#
Hi,
If anyone really wants to reflash a SIMpad that has already been upgraded to Windows CE 4.2 and that still bears the Windows CE 4.2 license sticker then the upgrade will only cost them the labour of doing upgrade and insured return shipping. Price strictly on application! :-)
Best regards
Simon
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 1:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Simon - 2005-08-05 2:59 PM

Hi,
You are right in that the Pocket PC 2003 builds are based on the Windows CE 4.2 SDK with the extra stuff that makes them "Pocket PC 2003".
The SIMpad CE 4.2 build only has the Standard Windoes CE 4.2 SDK with AYGSHELL (but it is not exactly the same as Pocket PC 2003), but you will find some additional DLLs included to help more Pocket PC 2003 programs to run on the SIMpad.
Best regards
Simon

what kind of dll's? please don't say aygshell.dll because it isn't intended for that... (quite the opposite.. it makes the hacking of wm2003 programs a little more difficult...)
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 4:11 PM
#
Hi,
The AYGSHELL is already included in the vanilla Windows CE 4.2 SDK build for the SIMpad.
In addition you can use the ATLCE300, MFCCE300 and similar DLLs to help get more Pocket PC stuff running; a similar idea to the Adobe Reader 2.0 for HPC2000 in the HPCfactor downloads area.
Best regards
Simon
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Simon - 2005-08-05 10:11 PM

Hi,
The AYGSHELL is already included in the vanilla Windows CE 4.2 SDK build for the SIMpad.
In addition you can use the ATLCE300, MFCCE300 and similar DLLs to help get more Pocket PC stuff running; a similar idea to the Adobe Reader 2.0 for HPC2000 in the HPCfactor downloads area.
Best regards
Simon

i knew you'd say aygshell
sorry but that version of aygshell.dll is different from the ppc's aygshell and just causes more problems.... you need to hexedit programs because of that!
including mfcce300 is good though, but which version do you include? hpc or ppc? it does matter.
atlce300 is absolutely a good idea, i welcome that
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 4:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2005-08-02 2:14 PM

4.2 unlike 4.0 and 4.1 is the only release to have a standardised SDK at its disposal.

Granted. There's, however, a SDK available for Sig3 with no (or nearly none) device specific modifications - at least a developer told me so, my knowledge of these things is quite limited. Maybe that explains the increasing number of CE.NET 4.1 software available in Japan and Korea. The SDK is available for free if you manage to complete this registration form in Japanese...
C:Amie - 2005-08-02 2:14 PM

I hope you're right. Most developers aim at WM2003, I would have placed a bet on before reading your post. Haven't seen many applications yet which would run solely on CE.NET 4.2. Therefore I was quite puzzled by this 'lion share' thing.
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 32