x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A Call for Help: Debian.

[Frozen]
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Frozen
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 2:28 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I have now spent many hours working alone on Debian. I have gone over each problem, but it is discouraging to not have any help. I managed to come across a very tough problem. Not being able to get online, or even connecting to my pc, makes this very hard. User logins were not this limiting. If anyone can figure out why modules are not working correctly in Debian, especially the airo one, please post here. I really could use some help from other experienced users. Normally something like this would not be a problem, but I have avoided Debian because of its install system that I never favoured, and just recently started working with the kernel and modules. I have never used Debians variation of the modutils, and in addition, am totally confused by the errors that I mentioned in the thread: "How do I even begin?" If anyone can help me track those down, I could continue.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

A little more research suggests that the modules might simply be in the wrong place. This is confusing, as I seem to have installed the correctly...

It may lead to me having to suck it up and recompile the kernel, but even that does not completely explain why my 3com megahertz 574bt (a card without a CE driver, hehe) loaded its module (driver), but the lights did not turn on?

It would be nice if I could email whoever normally develops the kernels...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 10:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-11 8:28 AM

I have now spent many hours working alone on Debian. I have gone over each problem, but it is discouraging to not have any help.

oh yes very familiar problem! i felt the same way when i started using hpc's... and i didn't know this forum or anything..
so i really sympathize with you too bad i can't help with linux!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

PS: You go PS! ... do I sense a linux-guru in the making?

hey, look on the bright side ... it prob implies you are going on new turf if there is no much help around. And that, my friend, means you will be the pioneer! ... ok ok, who am I kidding? ...

well, at least pioneer in hpcfactor anywayz!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hahahah. Yeah, well I am doing something that no one has documented at least. Getting these ridiculous modules to work! First of all, the big boo boo from the current j720 kernel maintainer is that all the modules bzip2 for this kernel had every single file in it set with owner and group 500! That does not exist! So I changed the properties of all of those to root root. That helped a ton, because then at startup update-modules (Debian's ridiculous method of finding modules) does not complain about the files not being owned by root anymore (ridiculous), but instead about the fact of why they are not working! They are getting symbol errors like I mentioned earlier. Also I changed the file /modutils/path to being an empty file to one containing the proper paths for /etc/modprobe! So no more skipping of ALL THE MAIN KERNEL MODULES! Argh...

It looks like my ethernet card will be working, at the moment it is being recognized, then I load the module. Unfortunately, Debian did not include dhcpcd, so I tried configuring it with a static ip. That just gave a load of errors that the card was not responding or something. I will be installing (or at least trying to install) dhcp client(s). And the cisco driver just seems to be bad, I will probably end up downloading the one from cisco and recompiling the kernel with it instead. That should work for sure. Seriously, once I have access to the internet, it is all smooth from there.

-Why would it be smoother? Because with the network up I can upgrade the entire system, which will fix all the dependency problems. Also, I will not have to restart each time I have to add more files to the cf! And everything will be so much easier....yeah.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Note to self: don't install files without thinking. Yeah, I messed up libc6, which is very important...pretty much every file needs it to install. I really don't want to replace the whole system again - this is not good for my card at all. But here it goes... ($50)

-That's it, I need a microdrive.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 10:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-11 8:51 PM

Note to self: don't install files without thinking. Yeah, I messed up libc6, which is very important...pretty much every file needs it to install. I really don't want to replace the whole system again - this is not good for my card at all. But here it goes... ($50)

-That's it, I need a microdrive.

LOL, sorry... Hey you are using a 720 correct? How much space does Debian take? How much space do you need?

Edited by Yoldering 2005-08-11 10:19 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

68mb for a lovely outdated piece of debian 3.0. If it was more than a piece..well I wouldn't be so messed up. All I need to do is get an internet connection, and all problems will be solved. If someone can PLEASE help me by testing it too...that would be excellent. I really can't try everything without killing my cf.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Okay then. I reinstalled everything, and fixed the configuration before I first started up Debian. I took out the script that creates the nologin files, and su works now. The messed up modules finally pushed me over, and I will compile the kernel I configured as soon as I get arm-linux-gcc - the arm gcc extension, for arm compiling (and porting! ). For some reason bluetooth was not enabled in the kernel, but it is now. One of the most popular cards I enabled was the socket cf card. I also enabled scsi, just to see if that could help me mount cf cards in my pcmcia to cf card convertor. All of these new addins are modules. I also compiled in the aironet 35x driver, which was giving me a lot of trouble. Hopefully this will fix that problem. I also added in slip support, for possible connections with a linux pc over serial, and possible internet access through a serial cable.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Here's an update: I managed to find arm-linux-gcc, and was lucky in thinking that I should set the $PATH variable, because that ensured that it worked. I went crazy and went through almost every folder in the arm directory and added it to the path. Well, my .bashrc and .bash_profile files are pretty full now!

I forgot to mention in my last post that I also removed debugging from the kernel, as that is something that a kernel developer uses, not something that we would want for a mainstream kernel.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

SUCCESS!!! IT WORKS! AWESOME!

I used the old initrd, but my new 2.4.31-j720-ps kernel! And guess what? Adding scsi support shows my cf card in my pcmcia convertor as /dev/hdc1!!! This is excellent! So after a quick /etc/fstab edit and a mkdir /mnt/hdc, I can read all my files! This could let me use my 256mb cf card as a file transfer device, without having to reload linux each time! YES!

EVEN BETTER! I just plugged in my aironet 350, and guess what, both lights are blinking! The green status and the orange activity! It isn't solid anymore! I think I am very close to cracking the internet problem!

I am posting my wonderful FIXED kernel and modules as an attachment to this post! Just modify your param files, and you can get started! If everything goes well, I will put the fixed Debian up on my ftp for download!!!

EDIT: Well, both the kernel and module files were too big to upload, so they are now at my ftp site. You can get them at ftp://programsynth.homelinux.net/debian-j720/kernel

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-12 5:25 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey everyone! I'm connected! Right now apt-get update is running! YAY!

But with no wep

Does anyone know how to configure wireless devices?

EDIT: Ok, with iwconfig.

I just backed it up, and will start installing packages! If things go well, I will have a working version of Debian for the 720 out TOMORROW!!!

-The pink text will have to be fixed later, though.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-12 11:39 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 1:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I am posting this from my 720 using lynx.

I upgraded with apt-get and am currently getting the applications that a mainstream system needs. The text is still pink.

EDIT: Wow. With the apt-get upgrade run, and mc, lynx, and naim installed, 186mb is being used right now. I guess it is time to get rid of junk! Heheh...

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-13 1:37 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 1:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh yes. I am now considering myself as advancing to the rank of linux guru . Too bad that isn't a FACTOR rank... Ooh. Even better. Factor linux guru. The linux guru of the Factor.

The Linux Factor.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 2:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, everyone has to screw up sometimes. I was in my apt-get upgrade frenzy, and I made the foolish decision to replace pcmcia-cs. This controls cardmgr and everything. I thought it would not end well when I saw the screen coming up saying that it is recommended to shut off cardmgr during the install, but I went anyways...heck, I had a backup - who cares? Well guess what. I forgot the backup had to be a tgz, so the folders on my pc were useless. I got the error I got when I first tried to install it: unable to open initial console. So I might have to release a working version (possibly with x, I am looking into small window managers) on Sunday. My plans are not to compete with Jlime, but to offer an alternative. Mine will be much more of an advanced linux users platform. I will also make it so that new users can get started, and the bonus of using my linux is the occasional touches and jokes put in here and there.

It now looks like this will be unable to fit on a 128mb card, but will require a 256mb one. I know this may sound like a lot, but that is about as much (if less) than my customized CE had with many programs included, and about half the functionality. I am making sure to include MANY console programs, and there will be enough x ones as well. As linux is all about choices, there will be a few ways to read your email, via mail, nail, mutt, or - if I cross compile it, pine. I believe pine will be the best option, as it is VERY easy to use, and newbies can easily get started with it. There will be choices of other things too.

EDIT: Please know that I have been working very hard on this, and if anything is wrong, please tell me, and I will definitely attempt to fix it. (All of my attempts have been successful so far ). Please no flaming though. Any questions can be asked on this forum, via pm, or via email, but I would rather not check that account all too often. Also, I do not mind im's at all.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-13 2:58 AM
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 28