x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Vertical lines 320LX while using CF card

1 2
Iiw384 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I’ve seen a few other threads suggesting vertical lines on the display was a h/w issue. My device is fine until I insert a CF card. The vertical lines show for the duration the card is in the slot, but everything returns to normal when the card is removed.

I think the card should be good, formatted FAT16, 16kb cluster on CE 2.0. All the pins internally seem true as well.

Does this sound like a card issue or is it more likely a hardware issue with the device?

Many thanks!

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 5:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
To troubleshoot, do you have another cf card to try? Or something PCMCIA? Hard to tell if the screen is on the cusp of blowing out that line permanently while now simply making it visible only if there is an extra power draw.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 6:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also, does it happen on both AA battery power and also when plugged in to ac adapter ?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Good point.
 Top of the page
Iiw384 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks so much @Jake, @Torch for the input, yeah the vertical lines happen both using the adapter and under battery power. Currently I’ve no other cards nor PCMCIA to rule that out, just happened to have this 128MB card lying around which was on the compatability list.

Would you have any suggestions for what I try next?? I was just trying to determine how to best move stuff between the PC and the 320LX
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm assuming you don't have a serial cable.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perhaps post a small photo?

The obvious electrical answers would be that there is a capacitor on its way out
It's electrical noise
Some sort of minor short

It could be worth a tear down, clean it up and put it back together - just be careful, slow and methodical if you try it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 5:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How about cleaning the inside of the PC card slot first before tearing the whole device down? Maybe dust or hair or something could be clinging to one of the pins?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Its a cap on the mobo. Almost positive. I had something similar happen with my 300LX back 20 years ago. Practice on something else with your soldering iron first. Take your time, i repeat, take your time tearing down the unit. A lot of easy to break stuff if you are in a hurry. Also the plastic has become brittle on these older units, so dont force pulling stuff apart.

If you cannot find the cap to order, let me know. I have a spare mobo i can take the part off if ya need it. Its a 360LX, but im pretty sure the same value was used in the 320LX.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 4:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek - 2024-03-09 10:20 PM

How about cleaning the inside of the PC card slot first before tearing the whole device down? Maybe dust or hair or something could be clinging to one of the pins?

Not to discount what was said by the others but I highly recommend trying this suggestion from @CE Geek first. Just to narrow things down and focus on what to try next
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 9:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

HP 360 LX in pieces

I'm not an expert I electronics, but the screen ribbon is in the opposite side, and there's no piece in the way of the CF card. Could it be a bent pin in the slot?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 3:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9706&start=1

^ Found this article. Its different but may have info that can help.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-11 3:17 AM
 Top of the page
Iiw384 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Many thanks all for the suggestions!

@C:Amie pics, the lines consistently go on removing the card.
Lines

@ABBADON, to you do the pins *seem ok??
Pins

@CE Geek, @torch, yep that’s about the limit of my investigation skills - my electronics expertise peaks about the level of blowing dust and fluff out, I ordered some deoxIT in case it might be something straightforward.

@WallyB110, yikes that’s what I was worried about - my past history of turning teardowns into bricks is illustrious hahah, I think I’d have to have made my peace with the little fella before I opened it up!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 5:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That is worse than I was expecting. Are the patterns consistent? I'd guess that the card is drawing way too much power or there is a short.

Does the CF card work in anything else?
 Top of the page
Iiw384 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@C:Amie Hey, thanks for the help, and that’s an interesting question. I hadn’t noticed before, but yes, each time the card is removed and inserted, it shows a different pattern of lines...

lines1
lines2
lines3

With the card removed everything functions as expected. Otherwise, the card itself reads ok in Windows, and partitions, formats etc. in Diskpart via a card reader.

Edited by Iiw384 2024-03-11 7:52 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 27