x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Casio Cassiopeia E-15 -- My Progress Thus Far

djronnieg Page Icon Posted 2024-03-29 5:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

The Casio Cassiopeia E-15 was my first Windows CE device, running with version 2.11. My original device has long since died (an internal component that looked like a ferrite core cracked) and was dissected decades ago. However, I managed to snatch one up from a UK ebay seller, and I paid a pretty penny for a device with a monotone LCD display.

My goals with the new E-15 is to load it with monochrome MPEG's such as the first Godzilla movie, 'I Love Lucy', and 'The Honey Mooners', among other things. Originally I was encountering various obstacles, but then I managed to find a working Pocket Core Media Player MIPS for PsPC binary and MIPS compatible plug-ins. Obviously it has still been a bit of work finding a balance between resolution, bitrate, and framerate. That being said it appears that TPCMP is out-performing the PocketTV MPEG player.

Short version: Made some progress with PocketTV, but the frame rate was atrocious. Ultimately I found a MIPS compatible version of TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player) along with plug-ins on this very site. It turned out to play my MPEGs more efficiently, as well as other formats. Still, nothing to write home about on this "monotone" display with 16-shades gray. However, I was able to arrive at encoding settings that were sufficiently satisfactory for a 'Star Trek' episode, 'Knights of Sidonia' (aka 'Sidonia no Kishi', and Patlabor.

Side note, I picked up an E-125 (color screen, double the memory of the E-15, faster CPU) and spent part of last night re-encoding the first episode of 'Ranma 1/2'. I'm a little confused because I feel like the E-15 was willing to play one more format than the E-125, but I'll investigate later.

The specs are pretty standard specs:

The Cassiopeia E-15 was the last model of Palm-size PC introduced by Casio that used a grayscale display. It appeared at the same time as the E-105, and functioned identically to that device, except for the screen.

Operating system: Microsoft Windows CE 2.11 Palm-size PC edition
Size: 127 mm x 80 mm x 15.2 mm :: 190 g
CPU: NEC VR4111 MIPS at 69 MHz
Memory: RAM 16 MB and ROM 16 MB
Display: FSTN LCD, 240 x 320 Pixel, 16 shades of gray
Interface: Serial and IrDA (ver. 1.0)
Expansion slots: CompactFlash Type I and II
Battery 2x AAA rechargeable, up to 25 hours of running time; CR2032 for memory protection
Input: Touch Screen, Microphone, 3 user-configurable buttons, a control pad
Extras: Speaker and Stereo 3.5 mm headphone jack *(Mono; these Wikipedia specs are incorrect in this area)

The original one I bought around 1999/2k, was an open-box floor display from Circuit City. A week before I paid $200 of my confirmation money for it, it still had a rechargeable battery pack. The following week when I purchased it, the device only had the cradle and AC/DC adapter. Luckily, this device supports the use of standard AAA batteries. In my youth I used alkaline, but when I recently got the "new" E-15, I was already been using Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries for a few years. I even bought a fresh 8-pack of additional rechargeable AAA batteries for good measure. Powering it has not been an issue.

Memory card support was surprisingly decent. The only caveat is that high capacity cards need to be partitioned. Nonetheless, I'm still getting access to more capacity than what I can currently get on my way newer iPaq HX4700. while I can't use SD-HC cards in the newer iPaq whatsoever, the Cassiopeia E-15 works quite fine SD to CF card adapter, and a number of other CF cards. The SD card CF card adapter has been super convenient. That said, I think there is a limit to how many partitions I can have.. so I can't make 20 partitions on a 128gig card. I'll have to investigate further. Still, I find it funny that my E-15 is cooperating with SD HC cards (via CF adapter) while the fancy HX4700 is only mounting non-HC SD cards.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-03-29 7:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved from Windows CE 2.0 to off topic

Also not CE 2.0. Please watch where you are posting.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2024-03-29 10:16 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have 2 of these, 1 in "new condition" and it is an excellent PPC with outstanding battery life thanks to the monochrome screen.
TCPMP is much more efficient than pocket TV on all devices. For MP3 playback check out Hum - its in the downloads section.

If you have the E125 you should also have Casio's own video playback and conversion software which works pretty well, sadly it won't play full screen.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 5:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I also have an E-15, but for a color Casio CE-based device I went with the E-105 Palm-size PC. It has the same 16-bit TFT screen and great sound quality as the E-125, and I can run almost any MIPS Pocket PC program while retaining the core CE-style interface of the Palm-size PC. (And TCPMP runs nicely on it too.)
 Top of the page
djronnieg Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 3:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Is there a distinction between CE 2.0 and 2.11?

In any case, my post wasn't OS-centric so I'll try to be mindful of this in the future.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 3:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@djronnieg yes, while 2.0 can run on 2.11, 2.11 cannot run on 2.0.

The site has a while sub-forum for 2.10, 2.11 and 2.12 - https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=33

However the Casio Cassiopeia E-15 is a PsPC, so for the purpose of HPC:Factor, it is off-topic
 Top of the page
djronnieg Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 4:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the MP3 player recommendation.

If you have the E125 you should also have Casio's own video playback and conversion software which works pretty well, sadly it won't play full screen.

The E-125 handles MPEG-1 videos really well in TCPMP. Still, I might as well give the Casio a try in order to make the device more period-accurate. I'm certainly curious to compare the quality and performance when using the Casio video format. Thanks for the suggestion.
 Top of the page
djronnieg Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 4:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Can you change the wallpaper on the E-105?

I have no trouble changing the wallpaper on the E-15. As long as I stick BMP files in the Windows directory, the files appear in a pulldown menu. However, on the E-125, all I get is the "Today" screen, it's associated options, but no apparent way to change the wallpaper.

Maybe I need a 3rd-party app. On a much newer iPaq hx4700 I was able to load custom wallpaper but by default it would make the image half translucent. Practical, but no fun. I then figured out a workaround. Basically I picked one of the pre-loaded themes. Then I found GIF files in the Windows folder that matched the current theme's wallpaper. I had to replace two GIF files: one for the main wallpaper, and the other for the "Start menu" background image (for fake transparency effect).

When I get home I'll try searching, but the About page basically just says "Windows CE 3.0.1393930" or something like that (3.something, I forgot what comes after the decimal).

As for my E-15, I'm open to ideas for improving video playback. So far I found that sticking with portrait resolutions like 240 x 180 for 4:3 aspect, or 240 x 135 for 16:9 widescreen content (in portrait view) yields pretty decent results. I think it might help if I could encode MPEGs at a lower than standard frame rate.
 Top of the page
djronnieg Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 5:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Understood and thank you very much!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 11:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hi, I did some research for you:

1-I recommend installing Pocket PC 2000 SP1

1a-Here are the release notes for that service pack

2-There's some PowerToys for Pocket PC
One of which you'll find useful:
Microsoft Today Screen Image Tool for Pocket PCs
Always wanted to customize your Today Screen? Well now you can! This power toy allows you to add your favorite picture to the Today screen.
This download is intended for English Windows Powered Pocket PC only.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11