x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

netfront 3.3 on J720

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow, isn't this great? So many power programs running on our older machines. We're picking the machines for a song (sometimes) and we can still run the latest and greatest ppc apps.

I'm so glad I bought into the hpc world when I did. I've never had more fun in my life.

FWIW, I detest using my d/t, even for 5 minutes. Further, I hate the thought of all the updates and patches and backups to keep it running in top form.
 Top of the page
Olavius
Olavius Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:23 AM
#
This is only a 14-trial?

No java?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:09 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Olavius - 2005-11-21 12:23 PM

This is only a 14-trial?

No java?

45 day trial to be exact.

no java in the trial, sorry, and you can open only two tabs in the trial.
... and i'm not sure if 3.3 can be bought (can't remember now if it's still in beta or what.. should check it). 3.2 can, but i couldn't hack that yet (i'll look into this)

so i have 3.0 as the full version with great java, and 3.3 just as a nice trial.. until things change.
 Top of the page
Olavius
Olavius Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 3:03 PM
#
Shame it is not the 3.2 which has much nicer specs. than the 3.0.

On your homepage it is the trial version of 3.0, but will your hack also work on a registered version? I.e. if I purchase a registered version will I be able to get this to work on my J720?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Olavius - 2005-11-21 9:03 PM

Shame it is not the 3.2 which has much nicer specs. than the 3.0.

On your homepage it is the trial version of 3.0, but will your hack also work on a registered version? I.e. if I purchase a registered version will I be able to get this to work on my J720?

yeah the full registered version will work too. if you buy it, i'll describe the hack so that you can do it for yourself.
about 3.2... i think it should work, i was just too lazy to get it fixed... 3.0 and 3.3 work, so 3.2 should too.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I wasn't aware that the 3.3 technical preview was time-limited in any way. I didn't see anything about a time limit when I downloaded and installed it and haven't seen any "nags" yet. How do you know/where did you see this? Will it be possible to simply uninstall and reinstall to get a fresh 45 days? I browsed through the registry and didn't see any obvious keys that could be used to "flag" a trial expiration.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
At the download site--or somewhere around there--it said that it would go 'til 12/31/05.

Of course, the world could soon be wiped out by one of those asteroids CNN keeps talking about, so 45 days may be more than enough

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2005-11-22 12:56 AM

At the download site--or somewhere around there--it said that it would go 'til 12/31/05.

Of course, the world could soon be wiped out by one of those asteroids CNN keeps talking about, so 45 days may be more than enough

Jake

nah you still won't have java support. until the world ends, anyway.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-11-22 12:34 AM

I wasn't aware that the 3.3 technical preview was time-limited in any way. I didn't see anything about a time limit when I downloaded and installed it and haven't seen any "nags" yet. How do you know/where did you see this? Will it be possible to simply uninstall and reinstall to get a fresh 45 days? I browsed through the registry and didn't see any obvious keys that could be used to "flag" a trial expiration.

i think the easiest way would be to buy the product cracking an app is not always that easy ...
in fact, the forum rules don't permit such speculations...
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just tried advancing the date to past 01/01/06 and Netfront 3.3 refuses to start (it gives a trial expired type message). If you set the date back, it starts back up again just fine. It might be possible to hex edit out the date check, but at worst, we will just have to operate with screwy clocks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-11-22 1:43 AM

I just tried advancing the date to past 01/01/06 and Netfront 3.3 refuses to start (it gives a trial expired type message). If you set the date back, it starts back up again just fine. It might be possible to hex edit out the date check, but at worst, we will just have to operate with screwy clocks.

of course this method works with many software... but, didn't you see my note about forum rules?
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nope, just hit reply to the main topic. I more than happy to buy a copy of 3.3 if they are willing to sell me one. Discussion of the rules aside, just about any new app needs to be "hacked" in some way to run on my HPC. If the company is unwilling to put a little extra effort into supporting HPCs, I don't feel at all guilty in doing a little hex-editing to get a program working. After all, the authors never wanted me as a customer to begin with. If I can get a program working in such a way, I am usually happy to send the authors their fair bit.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 10:50 PM
#
cmonex,

Might be ZoneAlarm thats causing the problem. I've not downloaded any files yet my home network is down..

Anyway, since you guys mentioned 3.0. I've been using a java based MSN client on my Netbook, called MSN2Go. I tried running in through 3.0 at its website www.msn2go.com but it doesn't work. Any particular reason why?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 12:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-11-22 2:21 AM

Nope, just hit reply to the main topic. I more than happy to buy a copy of 3.3 if they are willing to sell me one. Discussion of the rules aside, just about any new app needs to be "hacked" in some way to run on my HPC. If the company is unwilling to put a little extra effort into supporting HPCs, I don't feel at all guilty in doing a little hex-editing to get a program working. After all, the authors never wanted me as a customer to begin with. If I can get a program working in such a way, I am usually happy to send the authors their fair bit.

well i think it is reasonable what you're talking about this is my opinion though, and i'm just a mod, not an admin
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2005-11-22 4:50 AM

cmonex,

Might be ZoneAlarm thats causing the problem. I've not downloaded any files yet my home network is down..

Anyway, since you guys mentioned 3.0. I've been using a java based MSN client on my Netbook, called MSN2Go. I tried running in through 3.0 at its website www.msn2go.com but it doesn't work. Any particular reason why?

zonealarm is just a piece of shit. speaking from experience

msn2go: heh i used it on my psion 5mx clone (mc218), and worked fine, after i acquired the update but it wasnt that great because it was java on a 36 mhz machine!

icq2go works on NF 3.0... dunno about msn2go, but if you're using the trial version, that's the reason, it doesn't have java enabled.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8