x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Skype on Jornada 720

1 2 3 4 5 6
inukichi Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

How can I use Skype on Jornada 720, with Win CE, HPC2000?

Does anybody know?
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 10:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://www.skype.com/products/skype/pocketpc/

If you take a look at this website it would seem to say no. Not only do you need win ppc 2003 but you need 400 cylinders under the hood to make it work

That much said...I am wondering if there is any magic that can be done? I have even looked into the possibility of converting to Linux and then using the Linux version but the Linux version says it needs a 400 mhz pc - not ppc mind you but full blown pc

I have looked at Yahoo messenger and it also seems to need ppc 2002

It seems that voice messaging with our beloved but vintage hp/c's is out of the question...but...I have noticed this forum has an abundance of extremely creative people....

Anyone have any creative ideas?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

MS portrait works fine for voice and picture. I did it internally between my 6651s and it worked well enough for me. I then used my 6651 and my 565 and again no issues. One more try with the 790 and desktop and it worked fine.

Maybe i'm just luckier than some. In the last while everything I touch works. "Bout time

Give Portrait a shot, it's supposed to work well with 133mhz machines.

Even if the voice/picture fails for you it's still a simple decent barebones MSN client.

On second thought, Monica, your Sig has the speed and memory to give it a shot. Or will wm2003 stuff not run on the Sig?

Edited by wallythacker 2005-12-08 12:51 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 1:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-08 6:48 AM

MS portrait works fine for voice and picture. I did it internally between my 6651s and it worked well enough for me. I then used my 6651 and my 565 and again no issues. One more try with the 790 and desktop and it worked fine.

Maybe i'm just luckier than some. In the last while everything I touch works. "Bout time

Give Portrait a shot, it's supposed to work well with 133mhz machines.

Even if the voice/picture fails for you it's still a simple decent barebones MSN client.

On second thought, Monica, your Sig has the speed and memory to give it a shot. Or will wm2003 stuff not run on the Sig?

wm2003 stuff can run even on the j720 if you're lucky (and of course do OS hexediting)
the sig3 can run skype, but i don't have the right files yet, hopefully i will soon. i know others have run it fine.
of course you need to hack&hexedit the wm2003 stuff for the sig3 (even if it were running ce.net 4.2!). you need the OS hexedit too.. you don't need this OS hack on cenet 4.2, but it is required on everything with a version number lower than 4.2 (sig3 runs 4.1)

hmm, eventually i just use ircce for msn
skype would be nice though. (i have a few friends who use only skype)

oh and to the original question, no the 720 cannot run skype properly. it will start with a little hexediting but no one got further than that...
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Maybe a more fundamental question....is it possible to get voice over internet communications on a ce 2000 machine with any software? It seems skype is out. I am looking at an Itronix ce 2000 machine that is advertised as being "very rugged and durable", something which interests me greatly because I don't like the idea of taking my cute little j720 out into the dusty areas I travel. the Itronix is also a monochrome so I am assuming that I am going to get better batter life than from a color...but it has a MIPS 3192 cpu. I have not heard much about those....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

pengyou - 2005-12-08 8:51 AM

Maybe a more fundamental question....is it possible to get voice over internet communications on a ce 2000 machine with any software? It seems skype is out. I am looking at an Itronix ce 2000 machine that is advertised as being "very rugged and durable", something which interests me greatly because I don't like the idea of taking my cute little j720 out into the dusty areas I travel. the Itronix is also a monochrome so I am assuming that I am going to get better batter life than from a color...but it has a MIPS 3192 cpu. I have not heard much about those....

WOW, monochrome AND hpc2000???? i should look into this!
i think there's SJPhone or similar for hpc2000.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 10:51 PM
#
Anyone could point me to this sjphone. i never could find one that works on the J7xx
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 3:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

After a Google search, it seems that earlier versions of Skype could work for systems as early as PPC 2000 and 2002 as opposed to 2003 required for the latest Skype. As HPC 2000 is between PPC 2000 and 2002, J720 might still have a chance to use old Skype. Is there anybody who have already tried an old Skype on HPC 2000?
 Top of the page
Pokey Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 3:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It must be no earlier than Skype for Pocket PC™ 1.0.0.20 because this version supports ARM. Nevertheless, I can't find it anywhere...
 Top of the page
supervaags Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 9:48 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

i have working skype on my jornada now.. i only have some problems with it, i am not able to call and stuff but i will keep trying
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Great! I was trying to install Skype 1.1.0.6, but I had to do it with ActiveSync. As my notebook does not have a serial port and my Jornada cradle does not have USB port either, I tried to use Ethernet connection via crossover cable to sync. The problem is that ActiveSync only lists COM1, COM2, COM3, Infrared, and USB as the options. How can I enable a sync using a direct Ethernet connection between J720 and Win2K PC?

Edited by CAuser 2006-11-01 12:35 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 2:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

supervaags - 2006-11-01 3:48 PM

i have working skype on my jornada now.. i only have some problems with it, i am not able to call and stuff but i will keep trying

you could tell us the details and maybe upload the package somewhere, is it some special old version?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CAuser - 2006-11-01 6:33 PM

Great! I was trying to install Skype 1.1.0.6, but I had to do it with ActiveSync. As my notebook does not have a serial port and my Jornada cradle does not have USB port either, I tried to use Ethernet connection via crossover cable to sync. The problem is that ActiveSync only lists COM1, COM2, COM3, Infrared, and USB as the options. How can I enable a sync using a direct Ethernet connection between J720 and Win2K PC?

you can just extract the cab and copy it to your hpc with a card reader.
anyway try mscdex's app for creating a partnership without any real connection it's on his site, under homemade apps.
then you can use your ethernet cable to sync (the support pages on this site will tell you how)
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2006-11-01 11:23 AM

supervaags - 2006-11-01 3:48 PM

you could tell us the details and maybe upload the package somewhere, is it some special old version?

Here is the link: http://www.download.com/Skype-for-Pocket-PC/3000-2163_4-10395473.ht... I'll try to extract the cab file using the method you suggested or somehow sync.
 Top of the page
supervaags Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 3:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

that link doesn't work.. thise is my link:
http://download.minoc.com/zdnet/dlweek0503/SkypeForPocketPC.exe

the version is 1.0.0.21 and it works.. i only cannot accept the license agreements.. so i am not able to acces my buddy list etc.. but maybe someone else can

greetings

Edited by supervaags 2006-11-01 3:25 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12