x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can a USB flash drive work on a Jornada 820?

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
Silentium_Socius Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 7:11 PM
#
Avatar image of Silentium_Socius
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I just go ahold of a new Jornada 820 and I was wondering if it is possible to use the usb port in back with a flash drive to work off of. I connected it, and the jornada displays a message of an unidentified USB device. then it wants the name of the driver for the device. i'm at a loss and if anyone out there has run across this, i'd love to hear some advice.

Thanks Much!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah just search for clik or usbclik on this forum
 Top of the page
Silentium_Socius Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

well, I ran a search on both 'clik' and 'usbclik' and didnt find anything much. obviously it can be done, I just need a few questions answered about it, such as are the drivers embedded somewhere on the pc or do they have to be downloaded; is there a way of getting the drivers without an internet connection; what exactly is a clik...

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 4:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Clik! drive is a special drive made by Iomega (like the Zip and Jaz drives). When it was in production, it had CE drivers included for H/PCs with USB ports. It happens that this driver also supports USB mass storage devices (like flash drives). Run through this thread for a discussion and download links:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2623&pos...

There is definitely a version for the 820. I recall seeing it myself.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 6:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

These drivers are all in the HCL, just search it for clik
 Top of the page
Silentium_Socius Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

alright, I got the link to the .cab file for the Clik! driver.

is there any way of getting the drivers onto the computer without dialing into the internet with the H/PC? Ie: are there any drivers at all on the device that will recognize a floppy drive through the usb port. Most everyone I know has dsl and no dial up.

also, when the HPC asks for drivers for the HW in the usb port, it gives no menu for searching for to find the drive, it just wants a name typed in. is that normal?

sorry for all the perhaps rehashed questions, but I was given this machine with no instructions, no guide, etc,. just trying to make it into a device I can actually get some use out of. seems great to use for travel and the like, (but with a functioning usb port).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 3:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Silentium_Socius - 2006-01-21 7:45 PM

alright, I got the link to the .cab file for the Clik! driver.

is there any way of getting the drivers onto the computer without dialing into the internet with the H/PC? Ie: are there any drivers at all on the device that will recognize a floppy drive through the usb port. Most everyone I know has dsl and no dial up.

also, when the HPC asks for drivers for the HW in the usb port, it gives no menu for searching for to find the drive, it just wants a name typed in. is that normal?

sorry for all the perhaps rehashed questions, but I was given this machine with no instructions, no guide, etc,. just trying to make it into a device I can actually get some use out of. seems great to use for travel and the like, (but with a functioning usb port).
There are no native drivers in the devices ROM which will allow you to do this. You can send them across the Internet, use ActiveSync http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=133 , CF card etc. People who have DSL you can probably connect to their system with a network card.

The driver name prompt is normal, Windows CE has a nearly empty driver database, and works differently to other Windows versions. There is no driver scanning Wizard. The only way for autodetection to happen is for the OEM to write the driver correctly in the first place. So you sometiems need to tell it the DLL to use.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Silentium_Socius - 2006-01-21 8:45 PM

first... think compact flash card, not floppy! or synchronizing. this is not a laptop, you have different methods to access it (at least synchronizing is such a thing... all the other methods can be applied to a laptop too)

type usbclik when you plug in some usb hardware and if it asks for the drivername. the driver will work only if the usb stuff is standard mass storage (so, most of them should be ok)

btw, user manual for your nice 820: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpia2128.pdf

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-21 3:54 PM
 Top of the page
Silentium_Socius Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 12:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok, so would it be possible to use a serial cable to go from the HPC to a PC to move over the clik! file? or would the HPC not recognize the serial cable either and need a driver for the serial cable?

once, hopefully, I get the file onto the HPC, where should I put the clik! file so that when it asks for the driver name, I can point to it?

Thanks for the great advice!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 12:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, we were all noobs once If you don't have one of the following you can't install the clik driver.

1. The proper serial cable that belongs to the 820.
2. An infared port on your desktop/laptop.
3. A working wifi card in the 820.
4. A CF card reader.

Do you have the serial cable that belongs with your 820? If no jump to the second paragraph.

Install Activesync 3.8 on your pc. Connect the 820 cable to the 820 and your pc. Run AS, once it's connected to your 820 run the clik installer. It will install the usb driver on your 820. If you only have the .cab file then use the explore function on AS and copy the .cab file anywhere to your 820. Disconnect, double click the .cab file on the 820 and it will install. Type clikusb when asked for the driver for a usb device.

If you don't have the cable do you have IR on your desktop/laptop? Use that after installing AS 3.8 to connect to your 820. Perform the same install steps.

If you don't have IR or working wifi on the 820 your only other option is a card reader. Copy the clik cab to it, insert it into the 820 and install by double clicking.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 4:41 AM
#

It can be a wired network card, there still better than WiFi...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-01-22 9:41 AM

It can be a wired network card, there still better than WiFi...
Either way, if he/she is struggling to get a click driver up to the device, they'll certainly struggle getting a NIC driver onto it

So if you do go down that road, a NE2000 wired card would be the starting point option.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wally, you forgot old dialup. or gprs via infrared (hm this one only if the hpcfactor irda driver isn't needed)

edit: ah, ok the user doesn't want to use internet.

If you don't have IR or working wifi on the 820 your only other option is a card reader. Copy the clik cab to it, insert it into the 820 and install by double clicking.

this was funny insert the card reader into the 820?!

anyway. be more positive if the user doesn't have any of these methods they'll just have to spend a (really) little money so nothing is impossible

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-22 7:58 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 2:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-01-22 12:55 PM
so nothing is impossible
How qabout the square root of 1 equaling 7?

As cmonex says, there are plenty of open doors for you to explore.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-01-22 8:54 PM

cmonex - 2006-01-22 12:55 PM
so nothing is impossible
How qabout the square root of 1 equaling 7?

i could argue about that in several ways

one is that mathematics is more complex than most people would think (what about sqrt -1 for example?)

another is that this statement is just pure math, nothing to do with life & possibility & impossibility

and so on
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9