x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Incredible isn't it? Did they all have their head in the sand for 6 years or what?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-04-16 5:11 AM

64mb for the NXT? Really? WM5? I'm no designer but those specs are retarded for 2006. Even more when the price is $1000. I personally would consider one for $300, maybe. Other than raw cpu and IE6 (?) what can it do that a 6651 can't?

64 mb is standard these days, all WM5 devices have 64 mb... so it isn't retarded... lol or all WM5 devices are retarded, that's more likely (seriously!).

and this thing will have CE5, not WM5. is that good or bad? you decide for yourself.

well IE6 can do a lot that IE4 or even NF3 cant. cenet (and probably CE5) also can do a few stuff (pppoe, WPA, more stability, etc...) that hpc2000 can't. also it can run WM2003 programs (and maybe WM5?). intermec can't.

oh and you can have wifi and bluetooth at the same time as well as a memory card. this is really cool about this thing.

so i'd think it is really a step forward but not for 1000$ of course..

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-16 9:43 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If 64 mb is standard, then these devices indeed are retarded. I frankly think the PDA market is backsliding toward ultra thin devices for checking email and just about nothing else. 64 mb just isn't enough for today's resource hungry applications. It may be a generalization, but it feels like the whole PDA sector is shifting towards communications and low end platforms, rather than towards powerful general purpose computing platforms that can fit in your pocket. My Netbook Pro has 128 MB of ram and came out something like 4 years ago? You want to release a device that costs $1000 and doesn't even meet the specs of something several generations back that cost about the same? BAH! I don't think they have released information as to processor speed or video acceleration abilities, yet, either.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 12:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2006-04-16 5:11 PM

If 64 mb is standard, then these devices indeed are retarded. I frankly think the PDA market is backsliding toward ultra thin devices for checking email and just about nothing else. 64 mb just isn't enough for today's resource hungry applications. It may be a generalization, but it feels like the whole PDA sector is shifting towards communications and low end platforms, rather than towards powerful general purpose computing platforms that can fit in your pocket. My Netbook Pro has 128 MB of ram and came out something like 4 years ago? You want to release a device that costs $1000 and doesn't even meet the specs of something several generations back that cost about the same? BAH! I don't think they have released information as to processor speed or video acceleration abilities, yet, either.

your observations are correct, thats the direction where the pda market is going.
just an example, hx4700 and loox720 owners are really upset as neither hp nor fs plan upgrades for these high end pda's (albeit pocketpc's) instead they're making 240x240 pdaphones. well, at least fs released some not so bad models. not that i care but gsm and gps is what people are buying pda's for. they don't need a computer, they need something that does certain stuff they need anyway (phone, navigation).

anyway your netbook pro is a hardly more than 2 years old model (came out in late 2003 - early 2004.)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I guess I should elaborate. I understand wm5/cenet stores stuff in flash so more flash is better? Shouldn't the NXT have 512mb or more of flash then instead of 64mb? And really, 64mb to run stuff? Insane.

I agree pdas are backsliding. I expected more from my new to me Ipaq 3115. Ya, it's really slick, but IMO an e755 has more flexibility with dual slots and a $10 USB host cable and it's 3 years older.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-04-16 9:39 PM

I guess I should elaborate. I understand wm5/cenet stores stuff in flash so more flash is better? Shouldn't the NXT have 512mb or more of flash then instead of 64mb? And really, 64mb to run stuff? Insane.

I agree pdas are backsliding. I expected more from my new to me Ipaq 3115. Ya, it's really slick, but IMO an e755 has more flexibility with dual slots and a $10 USB host cable and it's 3 years older.

no, this flash thing is optional in cenet and CE5. mandatory with WM5. CE5 is NOT WM5. you cannot do WM5 with only 64 mb flash, or maybe technically it is possible but it will slow down things very much... thats probably why loox720 didnt receive the wm5 upgrade and hx4700 did...

64 mb to run stuff, why is it insane, YOU use 32 mb ram on your 'mec and j720! the j728 is very cool with 64mb, perfectly usable and comfortable. the insane thing is that they havetn improved on this for years now.

absolutely true that too, about the rx3115 and e755.

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-16 6:15 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10