x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

LINUX for NEC MobilePro 780

1 2 3 4
snaglpus Page Icon Posted 2006-07-20 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Guys, I need your help. I have a MP 780. I want to install LINUX on it and have tried NetBSD without any luck. Once the packages started to load, LINUX could not find the remaining package and just hung up. It's still hung after about 3 months. I have 2 CF cards one is 512 and one is 2G. My goal is to load LINUX with a GUI that works and use my PCMCIA slot for a wireless connection. Or I could do this! I have a 5G PCMCIA hard drive and a wireless CF..I could install LINUX on my 5G card and use my CF for my wireless. Any thoughts on what is the easiest method to get my MP up and running? Please give step by step instructions on how to do this. Thank you for your time!

Snaglpus
 Top of the page
Patch
Patch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-20 10:05 AM
#
I could use some step by step for getting linux on my MP780 and using it with wireless cards, synchronization et al, but then again - i'm a linux virgin, I'm just looking for some way of expanding the possibilities of the handheld now that win support is going the way of the dinosaurs.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-23 2:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I dont think there is a linux port for the mobilepro series. I have a 770 and havent found anything besides netbsd ( which works just fine ). Netbsd's install is pretty straight forward, rather easy actually. I'd suggest rereading the netbsd site and downloading the correct psdboot.exe and netbsd.gz. Not trying to sound crude, just that their site and info is kind of all over the place. And before you know it you'll have a working bsd install with wireless support and gui and whatever else you want.

But if you *do* run across a linux port for the mobile pro's please let us know.

Cheers
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-23 4:25 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

As well, running from the pcmcia hard drive and wireless cf should be completely doable.
 Top of the page
snaglpus Page Icon Posted 2006-07-31 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

RTFM, when you installed NetBSD on your MP 770, how did you reach success? Did you use 2 CF cards to do this? When I put in the path to where my packages are located which are on my CF, NetBSD can not find them. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Basically I have LINUX running. I can do all the LINUX commands and all. But I want to get all my packages up especally X. I've decided to install NetBSD via the CF card and keep my PCMCIA slot free for my wireless nic.

Snag
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-31 8:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm not surprised you didn't have luck getting Linux on it with NetBSD. It's Unix, not Linux :laughs:

Couldn't resist, sorry.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-08-01 12:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
gav
gav Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 3:22 PM
#
Linux for NEC MP
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro780
Runs fine on my MP790
 Top of the page
Bibok
Bibok Page Icon Posted 2006-08-30 8:59 AM
#
On my MP 780 also. Exactly like NetBSD 3.0.1 (not on the same cf )
 Top of the page
afan
afan Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 2:28 AM
#
Bibok - 2006-08-30 8:59 AM

On my MP 780 also. Exactly like NetBSD 3.0.1 (not on the same cf )

I have MP780 and I would like to install Linux on it. Could you please give me some advice how/where to start?

Thanks for any help.

-afan
 Top of the page
isen Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i have finally gotten the linux from http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro780 installed on my MP790, but only the command line flavor. how do i go about getting a slick GUI on there? i tried the picogui file that is on the downloads page of the site above, but it's minimal and experimental. how can i get a full-fledged suite of PIM, email, web browsing, etc. in a GUI going on this linux install? also, what flavor of linux is the one contained in the files at the handhelds.org site above?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-09-23 3:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You would want to install an xserver, but I do not know much about how this works on the 790. Here, I had to compile it by hand. It seems like the gui you want is OPIE, which does not require X, and has the PIM and should have konq/e as the web browser. Email...well...pine?
 Top of the page
Bibok
Bibok Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 9:52 AM
#
I simply did everything step by step from docs:
1. Format your CF card - I did it with cfdisk from linux. 1. partition is about 950 MB with ext fs and second one with MS-DOS fs.
2. Untar/unzip rootfs.tar.bz2 to CF Linux ext partition and boot-files.tar.bz2 to MS-DOS partition
3. From Windows CE run 0902.exe and select path to linux kernel (in my configuration it's: \\storage card2\vmlinux)
4. boot and enjoy

You can, of course, unpack also vim, X and other stuff to Linux partition.

regards
 Top of the page
mutao
mutao Page Icon Posted 2006-09-28 2:22 PM
#
Hi, I have followed step by step linked guide, but when I launch 0902.exe linux booting but it can't find root fs and kernel panic happes. I think there are some wrong configurations...

Kernel name:
\Storage Card2\vmlinux (MP-780/790)

Frame Buffer:
Mobile Pro 780 (MP-780/790)

Options:
root=/dev/hda2 rw

I'm using NEC790. Can you help me?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-09-29 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sorry, I don't know enough about the device and the *nix setups for it.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 32