x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Beta test: Foreign HPC2000 English Conversion

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 11:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

A few weeks ago, TFGBD found out that the MUI also works with CE3 devices (and not only CE4 /5 as usually stated).
The "HPC 2000 transformation pack" was my first attempt to make some use of this interesting feature.
I am now starting another project, in order to change the User Interface of any "foreign" HPC2000 device ( French, German, Japanese, Korean, whatever...) into English. This should work with ARM and MIPS devices. This is similar to the Sig3 English conversion package, which was made a few months ago.
You can download Beta1 here (sorry for the Rapidshare link, again):
http://rapidshare.de/files/30473016/English_HPC2000_UI_Beta_1.zip.h...

Warning: this is a very early Beta. There are probably some small bugs. If you download it and use it, please report your findings. I tested it on my French J710, and it seems to be quite stable, but I need more feedback from different beta testers. Of course, this package is only useful if you own a non-English HPC2000 device (Jornada, Mobilepro 790, Sigmarion 2, etc...). The CAB installer changes approx. 95% of the original UI into English; the new look-and-feel from my previous "transformation pack" has also been included. There are actually more things to translate for the HPC2000 than for CE.net ( Sig3): Office programs, etc... In order to keep a reasonable file size ( for 32MB memory devices), I didn't try to translate everything, just the "usual stuff".

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i forgot to tell you, the taskmanager is screwed up on the sig2 with the package you sent me.
it will not show anything and will not close.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cmonex, what taskmanager are you using ? I will try to check that...
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 2:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

will soon 2 test this on my Sig 2, which is though rarely used.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i meant the default taskmanager alt+tab or alt+ctrl+del
 Top of the page
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 3:33 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Would it be possible to use this to translate the UI for specific applications? The one that immediately comes to mind is the CE2.11 compilation of Xacrett, where the UI is in an Oriental language. A comparison is available on the PPC compilation (ARM only) which has an English UI.

The CE2.11 compilation works in my MP790, but the UI is unreadable the characters are not being displayed, no Oriental language character set.

Edited by YOM 2006-08-23 3:35 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 1:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I second that. That would appeal to an even broader range of H/PC users.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 4:35 AM
#
H/PC Elite

YOM - 2006-08-22 9:33 PM

Would it be possible to use this to translate the UI for specific applications? The one that immediately comes to mind is the CE2.11 compilation of Xacrett, where the UI is in an Oriental language. A comparison is available on the PPC compilation (ARM only) which has an English UI.

Of course, it is possible to translate the UI of any application. I have done that many times... There are many very interesting japanese applications, that were never translated (try: http://www.wince.ne.jp/soft99/ ). It is technically much easier than translating the OS itself. You can do it yourself with a freeware resource editor like Reshacker ( download it here: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/). The only difficult part is to translate or "guess" the meaning of the original language: with european languages, it is quite easy with any online translator, but it can be tricky with asian languages ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

most online translators can translate asian languages too, you just need to copypaste.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-08-23 12:01 PM

most online translators can translate asian languages too, you just need to copypaste.

Correct, but if you don't have a localized desktop OS, very few resource editors can deal with asian code (only some expensive ones): with common resource editors, you just get unusable gibberish, and nothing to copy and paste...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, i see.

did you look into the taskmanager problem?
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes, I have just solved the taskmanager problem. try the new package (of course, uninstall beta1 first) This is the link for the second beta:
http://rapidshare.de/files/30624849/English_UI_for_HPC2000_Beta2.zi...
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-31 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I discovered some strange problems on the Sigmarion 2 with my previous beta, so I decided to make a specific version for Japanese devices. You can download it here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/31471403/SIG2_English_UI_Beta3.rar.html
There are some limitations: please read the instructions in the Zip file carefully.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-31 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, what problems did you find? testing beta2, the taskmanager problem seems to be solved.. will try beta 3
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 6:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Beta 2 worked like a charm on my French Jornada 7xx. On the Sig2, there were some problems though:
- the "Storage Card" name shouldn't be translated or changed: for an unknown reason, if the storage card name is changed, some problems occur with Explorer: error messages when deleting files/folders, no automatic refresh, etc...
- So, in this new version, the storage card name will stay in Japanese ; I tried to hack filesys.exe to find a workaround but it does not work. There is a small side effect when the storage card name is in Japanese: If you change the system language in the Regional Settings Control Panel applet, all desktop shortcuts linking to a path containing a Japanese name ( for example files or folders in your storage card ) will cease to work. However, it is possible change some settings manually in the Regional Settings applet, without changing the language itself.

In this new version (which is ONLY for japanese devices), I managed to translate more system folders ( \Windows\Start and \Windows\Recent) and added a few new MUI files.

This new version is highly recommended for Sig2 owners; Beta2 will still work best for all non-japanese devices (european languages).
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11