x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Nokia D211 GPRS/WLAN Card

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 9:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are the sort of H/PC user who likes to remain connected at all times, and your device lacks built-in cellular support - which you find on devices such as the bSquare Power Handheld or the SmartBook G138 - then chances are you are fed up with having to juggle the infrared connection from your PDA to your phone, carry cumbersome data cables, or are fed up of having to swap between Bluetooth and WiFi adapters as you move between communication mediums.

If this is sounding familiar, then the Nokia D211 mobile GPRS/WLAN card could be the solution you are looking for. We take a look at the D211 and find out if it really is a saving grace for H/PC users.

Read the review and have your say here on the forums.

View: Nokia D211 GPRS/WLAN Card
 Top of the page Quote Reply
deeva29
deeva29 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 4:08 PM
#
This is a very good review. How long have these cards been out for? Has anyone here used one in a J728? I am curious.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 6:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Believe it or not: since February 2002!! The RRP then was nearly £300+.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i love the concept of the nokia D211. i like the card too, very advanced driver, gprs works very well, wifi is ok with my B-only router.

but also, my problems:
software a little slow... welll.. OK much faster than the sierra software.. that one was driving me crazy! (on MIPS hpc2000, didn't try others)
card is a little big i'm spoilt by socket's bluetooth and senao's wifi
it can't connect to many G routers even if they are running in mixed B-G mode, or so i've heard. :S

oh and a quote from the review..
"The D211 seems surprisingly efficient for a GPRS card. When using the standard Jornada 6xx/7x0 battery the card can maintain an active connection for just under two hours. This is considerably longer than would be possible when using Bluetooth and a cell phone for the same effect. Maintaining a WiFi connection consumes power slightly faster, but still gives about an hour of usage."

he/she must have some weak battery... two hours and that's fine?
i can use bluetooth for like 6-7 hours... mm ok that's with the 2000 mAh j728 batts. but still... a 1500 mAh standard j720 battery can last 5 hrs with wifi (brightness settings at around half)
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-12 1:43 AM
#
This is a very good review

Thanks, its my first

The 2 hour figure was obtained under sustained GPRS use (a looping ping to my website, which is free ) with a new(ish) battery in a rural area, so should be a fairly realisitic minimum figure.

Anyway, as you can tell from the review, i really like the D211...

Edited by chazco 2006-09-12 1:45 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-12 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-09-12 7:43 AM

This is a very good review

Thanks, its my first

The 2 hour figure was obtained under sustained GPRS use (a looping ping to my website, which is free ) with a new(ish) battery in a rural area, so should be a fairly realisitic minimum figure.

if that two hours is true especially if it is less with bluetooth to a phone, then either your battery is weak or mine has 10000 mAh capacity !!

anyway cool first review

Edited by cmonex 2006-09-12 1:49 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-12 4:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I second that - very articulately written as well. You're wise well beyond your years, chazco.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-12 5:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Chazco has done a fantastic job here and should be commended. Well done and thanks for the good read.
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 7:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Great review indeed. One of the delights of HPC Factor is the way new stuff keeps popping up; another is the helpfulness of the folks in the Community, helping & sharing ...and being prepared to chip in the time.

Anyway, following the review I got a D211 off eBay (£16 incl. postage) & look forward to trying it with my Intermec 6651 as soon as I get to town & buy a SIM card - what a luxury it would be to be able to text without the KBoard/Screen constraints of a mobile phone. Will post the outcome.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it will work fine on the 6651. i've used mine there
deeva29
deeva29 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-23 10:02 PM
#
You instilled such an interest in me with your review...that somehow I managed to get one of eBay for $15....just waiting for it to show up. My 728 finally showed up a few days ago, and I love it. I can't wait to pop my sim into this card when it gets here.
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 4:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I love the SMS facility - great to be able to text my kids without having to grapple with a mobile phone keyboard & tiny screen. Only drawback, when a text comes in, I don't get any acknowledgment - no 'ping' or 'flashing signal' (that I can hear or see) - am I correct, this ain't possible?
On the other hand, I've had no luck setting it up for WiFi. Seems straightforward - but resolutely I get the dreaded 'A connection with the server could not be established'. Chose: Easy Connection WLAN (ad hoc), OK / Typed in the Network Name, OK /Message comes up 'D211 Ad Hoc Mode Active'/. Manager Window at this point shows Easy Connection Connected & the name of the network but signal strength 'Zero' (even standing next to the hub). 'Connect' button is NOT hi-lighted. I'm clearly missing something obvious ... grateful for Enlightenment! BTW, the manual etc have been removed from the Nokia website I tried.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 7:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

why did you set up ad hoc mode, don't you have a real router?
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 10:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ignorance I guess but ... just tried the Infrastructure option, still no luck. Chose: Easy Connection WLAN (infrastructure), OK / Typed in the Network Name, OK / message comes up 'the new settings will come effective the next time the card is removed. For the changes to take effect, remove and insert the card'. I click ok, then remove the card, then reinsert. Unfortunately the D211 icon is no longer present. To get it back, I've tried three options: (1) Removing the card a second time & reinserting - this does the trick, the icon is back. Or (2) Do a soft reset then reinsert the card. Either way, the outcome is the same: unable to access the network (and Manager Window shows zero signal (Easy connection searching - definitely not finding). Have done this several times). Any more suggestions gratefully received, thanks!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

strange, my D211 driver reloads just fine on reinsertion of card.

anyway, if you don't have any security enabled, then probably you have an incompatible 54mbps router...?
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9