x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

JLime - Linux for hp Jornada 620/660/680/690

1 2 3 4 5
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 3:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Greetings,

You want linux for your hp6xx?
www.jlime.com

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 3:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Welcome Krist!

This is Neat! ... maybe Linux will be the saving grace for all the older HPCs as far as web surfing is concerned.

I'm doing a reinstall of NetBSD2.0 on my MP790 using the hpcmips port. Maybe we can start a new section on Linux for HPCs, C:Amie?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 1:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Maybe ebay will see me buying a 690...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

PS: you might want to hold your horses ... see Project Status of JLiMe

and a installation guide is not even up yet ... but you never know ... those linux zealots can do wonders!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You can also see NetBSD/hpcarm

Supported Machines
Sold in Model CPU Video RAM Ports Boot PCIC Keymap Xserver
Hewlett-Packard Models
World Jornada 710 SA-1110 206MHz 32MB Serial, (IrDA) Y Y Y
World Jornada 720 SA-1110 206MHz 32MB Serial, (IrDA, modem) Y Y Y
World Jornada 820 SA-1100 190MHz 16MB Serial, (IrDA, modem) Y (root=md)
Compaq Models
World iPAQ H3600 SA-1110 206MHz 32MB Serial, (IrDA, modem) Y (root=md) Y

Though not as up to date as the mips thread, at least the 720 is able to boot and run already.
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 4:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Greetings,

The status page isn't up to date although the packages are abit old (2002), we are currently updating them (new gcc should come after this weekend and glibc should follow shortly..).

I plan to add alot of screenshots running everything from blackbox, fluxbox, gnome to afterstep and enlightenment just haven't gotten round to it.
The only thing currently not working 100% is the touchscreen (it doesnt move right) and i'm looking into that.

So give linux on hp6xx a try, and please leave feedback.

Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is there any chance that you could start working in support for the arm based 720/728? I have thought about messing around with the netbsd port, but the support and documentation for that looks really poor.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Kristoffer - 2005-02-18 2:13 PM

Greetings,

The status page isn't up to date although the packages are abit old (2002), we are currently updating them (new gcc should come after this weekend and glibc should follow shortly..).

That's what I like about linux, you can build practically everything on your machine! And its good to know that the project is online et al. I personally do not have a 720 so I am outta luck here, maybe someone with the J6xx can try it out and give us some review?

It could give me enough nudge to consider a J6xx to run web surfing!!

Kristoffer - 2005-02-18 2:13 PM

I plan to add alot of screenshots running everything from blackbox, fluxbox, gnome to afterstep and enlightenment just haven't gotten round to it.
The only thing currently not working 100% is the touchscreen (it doesnt move right) and i'm looking into that.

So give linux on hp6xx a try, and please leave feedback.

Kristoffer, its great to know you folks are rigging up linux for the J6xx. It could be the saving grace for the J6xx with its outdated OS and in particular its crippled bRowSer!!! PIE3.01 *hoRroR*

Keep us posted! Thx!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

We are the rebels of a CE forum we is.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-02-18 5:32 PM

We are the rebels of a CE forum we is.

You sure iS ... ... sorry could not help it!!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 4:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It was a purposeful grammatical joke that I do from time to time - that may be my 3rd time on this forum hehe. Not sure where I got the idea for that....FINE! We are the rebels of a CE forum, we are.

-Hahah C:Amie - is this a CE forum or a forum for devices that happen to run CE? 8)
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 6:39 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thx for the support everyone.

Rocketman - I thought there was plentifull of options for hp7xx users? Porting to Arm based machines (like jornada 7xx, ipaq...) is very well supported under linux so it shouldnt be a problem. I don't own a 7xx myself but when i get one i could look into it.
And if there's enough demand for it i could probobly whip together som test kernel/userlands for it.

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-02-20 2:12 AM

It was a purposeful grammatical joke that I do from time to time - that may be my 3rd time on this forum hehe. Not sure where I got the idea for that....FINE! We are the rebels of a CE forum, we are.

-Hahah C:Amie - is this a CE forum or a forum for devices that happen to run CE? 8)

I know! ... was pulling your leg on that! ... I always tell my bestEST friend that too!
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi. I dont know much about Linux. The only time I got to use a Linux based system was last week. I work at PepBoys. We are getting a New computer system for the stores. I was sent to "Find bugs" and To Help configure the software. I have to report back in about 2 weeks for more "Testing"
Could somebody Please explain the differences between CE and Linux? All I know is that Linux is supposed to be more stable. Sorry, I am more of a Hardware man. last program I worked on was in Basic and the Apple version. Almost 20 years ago.
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wince is only for HPC, PPC, SmartPhone devices ... linux a full OS ported to many different platforms
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 31