x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Octopus Studios MDict 2.1

[Frozen]
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 6:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To some Reference is as much a part of having a PDA as PIM functions.
Whipping out a PDA to look up a contact is much the same as pulling one out to look up a dictionary or language translation reference.

MDict by Octopus Studios provides an expandable environment to read a range of precompiled reference titles directly on the Handheld PC including Dictionary, Thesaurus and translation dictionaries.

See what John thought of MDict and have your say here on the forum.

Review: MDict 2.1
 Top of the page Quote Reply
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes many people recommend this software, across all CE platforms (PPC, HPC, and SP).

I wanted to try it, but I couldn't get an acceptable download speed from the official site. I will keep this in mind to get.
J0HN Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 10:38 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I think the review is great.

Perhaps, directions for downloading and installing should have been included for the newbies (me included) amongst us.

I downloaded and installed MDict 2.1 without incidence. However, when I attempt to install "The Websters Unabridged Dictionary (14.1M)," I get the error message "Windows cannot open this file." The file is Webster.mdx.

What are the steps for downloading and installing the dictionary.

Thanks
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Takwu & John

I don't know why there should be a problem downloading any of the dictionary files or the MDict program itself? I would suggest that you contact Rayman at Octopus Studios and tell him about the problems you are having - I'm sure he can help you out.

If you want a quicker way to download the files and load the software on your H/PC then I suggest that you don't use ActiveSync, unless you really need to. Copy the dictionary files to Desktop or a Compact Flash card and then move them on to your H/PC. In terms of the program itself, I copy the CAB file to my H/PC and install it that way - it's much faster.

If you want to find out more about CAB files checkout the Tutorials section of this website for more information.

John
J0HN Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 5:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks, Hurricane John. Copying worked.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 11:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I just tried again, same thing.
It's downloading at less than 5 KB/s for half of it. The other half still downloading at 1.13 KB/s. And that's the 300KB ARM HPC install only, took maybe 10 min. I don't know what to do to get the dictionary files. Any other source I can get them?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-02 8:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you in a position internet connection wise to shove them into a download manager and walk away? - I don't mean the IE / Firefox download managers here, which are both as useless as eachother.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-03 1:16 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, after a few tries (thankfully IE resumes the download) and a long time, I got the program and ETDict
Will try it out later
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9