x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ratoc USB host CF card -- mouse

1 2 3
tallis Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 3:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi there

Can anybody (Nick??) please give me some advice on getting a USB mouse working under the Ratoc USB host CF card. I've been using the CF card with a mouse on my Compaq iPAQ 3870 and it works great! Now I'd like to get it working on my Jornada 720!!!

I've seen a number of postings from various folk who say that they have managed to get vaious peripherals --keyboard etc --working. Ratoc doesn't offer drivers for HPC2000. What drivers shoud be used; where can they be downloaded etc??

Tallis
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the ppc2000 ARM drivers will work - manufacturer should have them

Edited by cmonex 2006-11-16 5:02 PM
 Top of the page
tallis
tallis Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 6:25 PM
#
Thanks cmonex I'll contact Ratoc and see what the company has to say. Do you know of Nick Charlton is still about. He seemed to have a great deal of success with the Ratoc USB CF. I would be good to also make contact with him! I really need to get this working. Tallis
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well if you have some msn address i can tell him your address.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 8:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

you can use a USB CF card and a mouse? wouldn't it depend on what kind of USB mouse you use?

I'd get one but i need to plug my wifi card in somewhere OOoo
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 11:00 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Nah, all mice should send the same signals.

You could get one of those nifty sandisk 128mb cf/wifi cards, and use the ratoc. Or, you could use the ratoc, and find a usb wifi that works with it. (If there are any)

Personally, I do not see the need of one of these cards for more than just transfer of files through a flash drive...with, through some creativity, could be avoided through the use of the correct pcmcia adapter and one of those nifty usb drives that just hold a flash card.

If all you want is a mouse, I would save the $150 and make a male-out serial cable for your 720. I believe ShadowMaster made a mouse driver for the 720.
 Top of the page
tallis Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 4:46 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yes, in some ways agree with you -- there's no need for a mouse -- the touch-screen performs the function of the mouse quite well.... and the USB card can be used just for transferring data.

However, I'd like to use the Jornada 720 for writing and editing text when I'm away from the office. I've been using my iPAQ 3870 with a Ratoc USB 1.1 Host Adapter CF Card (CFU1U) and a great little -- in fact, minute -- optical USB mouse made by Atek (http://www.atek.com). I find that it's far easier to manipulate text with a mouse than using the stylus and touch-screen.

As yet I haven't tried ShadowMaster's driver with a serial mouse. However, I have downloaded the driver, and I purchased a HP serial cable, but decided not go with this approach just yet and unless I'm not able to use the Ratoc CF card. The main reason is that serial mice are so large!! I haven't been able to find a 'micro' serial mouse on the Web. There are many PS/2 and USB mini/micro mice though.

I'd also like to get 720degress up and running on my Jornada. Maybe it would be easier to get a USB mouse running of the Ratoc card under linux?

Incidentally, please tell me more about the "nifty sandisk 128mb cf/wifi cards. Do these have a main A-USB type connector which would allow me to use it with the ratoc?

Tallis

Top of the page
tallis Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 4:55 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

HI there again.... have to admit to having not used MSN for ages! But it would be great if I could make contact with Nick to get some feedback on using the Ratoc card on the Jornada 720. He doesn't appear to visit this forum anymore. I'd be extremely grateful if you could drop him a line, and find out if it would be okay for me to contact him directly be email.

I didn't have much luck with: http://www.nickcharlton.org.uk/hpc/usbhcl/default.asp

Tallis
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Unfortunately Nick has also disallowed all robots on his site, meaning that the wayback machine (archive.org) hasn't got a copy. Ho hum.

Have you tried the PPC ARM drivers as cmonex suggested?
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

yeah cmonex!
it would be about time you helped us here

i don't have a serial connector thing for my handheld. it should of came with the package i bought from ebay but I never botherd to get it. i figured i got the better deal with it all so never asked.

if I'd bought one i would NOT rip it all up. Is it possible to find a double female adapter? what type of serial is it?

(oh yeah, if I could convert it to USB somehow could I use all this usb stuff?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tallis, if you confirm you tried the ppc arm drivers from ratoc (same driver as for your ipaq), and it still doesn't work, i'll try to ask Nick.

macmee: i think you can't convert it to usb host. i don't know too much about null modems, but yes it is possible to find the right one, i have it for the jornada serial cable. works with a serial cable of a phone. want a photo or anything?
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 7:37 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

a photo would be perfect, I could print it and ask around at local stores!
 Top of the page
tallis Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 9:09 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi cmonex ... will do. I sent an email message to Ratoc tech support late yesterday asking for details of a download site for the ppc2000 ARM drivers. I've got the ppc2002 ones but none that are earlier ...I'm waiting for them to respond!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh don't worry, ppc2002 drivers should be OK too. try them

macmee: OK i'll get the photo later.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

k, Thanks
 Top of the page