x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Need help with Remote Desktop Connection

1 2
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Menneisyys:
I'm not 100% sure about it being RDP4 based...but it always looked that way to me. It never supported any RDP 5.1 specific features like Sound or even more than 8 bit color and does not really seem to behave any differently than the the WinCE 2.11 and 3.0 clients that are known to be straight ports of RDP4. If anything, it could be some kind of bastard child of RDP 4 and RDP5....but I doubt it. Or, it could be RDP5 based but without support for the RDP5.1 updates. (like sound)

Yup, it's 5.0 "only". However, the leap between 4.0 and 5.0 was considerable - 5.0 consumes far less bandwidth. 5.1 has "only" introduced sound transfer and high/true color modes, no additional bandwidth usage reduction.

I would not really use the Mochasoft client as a good indicator of anything. I tried it a few times and its obviously not as good as any of the Microsoft versions. (Its quite slow and buggy) Its not really suprising that the MS client would work better. Its based on the official RDP sources while the Mochasoft author had to write his client from the ground up using publicly available documents.

Mocha is RDP4-only and has much worse bandwidth usage if you don't explicitly disable animation in the remote desktop machine (I'll publish my benchmark results comparing these on 2-3 days); I've directly confirmed this with its author.

Also see for example the following image for a comparison of RDP4 and 5's bandwidth usage:

(NT4 TSE used RDP4, while Win2000 TS used RDP 5.0)
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 3:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

TFGBD - 2006-11-29 9:52 PM

OHHH! I must not have read what he said right. I assumed me meant he could not enter text in the actual configuration dialogs themselves! Now I understand he is talking about when the client has connected. (Isn't he?) I think that is a registry setting somewhere. I had they problem on my Jornada 720 when I tried to use a SIP with RDP also. I'll look up the registry entry and post it if I figure it out.

thanks, I'be really grateful

I don't have problems with entering anything in the "Connect to" dialog; "just" the remote login dialog. That is, while I see it, I can't enter anything into it. (Copying from the clipboard doesn't work either.)
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-11-29 1:43 PM

he just says it just worked right away. on a mio A701.

but you have to know, he copied ALL the ce 5 files i sent to him (a full platform) into windows folder on the mio, for fun. maybe that helped somehow. oh and he didn't have to import the rdp.reg.

You mean not only the ones you've provided me? Are they online? I'd give them a go and, then, publish the results for the benefit of the entire PPC community .
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 3:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

i can post screenshots for 800x480 if that helps..

I don't think it's necessary - I only wanted to know the difference between the 4.2 client and that of PPC / the desktop Windows. It seems it's a complete reimplementation / port of the latter.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Menneisyys - 2006-11-30 9:34 AM

You mean not only the ones you've provided me? Are they online? I'd give them a go and, then, publish the results for the benefit of the entire PPC community .

ok, i can upload them..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 8:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Menneisyys - 2006-11-30 9:43 AM

I don't think it's necessary - I only wanted to know the difference between the 4.2 client and that of PPC / the desktop Windows. It seems it's a complete reimplementation / port of the latter.

well, if you get the 900c, you'll see the rdp client is not the only thing like that.

hmm anyone ever tried to hack IE CE 6.0 on a ppc for example?
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 9:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-11-30 8:21 AM

Menneisyys - 2006-11-30 9:34 AM

ok, i can upload them..

Would be REALLY grateful - if it doesn't take much time, of course
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-12-01 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

BTW, feel free to check out and comment on the comparison chart (the backbone of the forthcoming article). I’ll only be able to publish the final version of the article next week, it seems – I’m still awaiting answer from some of the software developers for some of my questions.

It’s at http://www.winmobiletech.com/PPC2PCRemoteRoundupTable.htm . Note that the chart is not finished yet; there’re still some table cells to fill in (for example, the HTTP gateway tests). The bandwidth usage etc. tests have already been conducted, on the other hand, and most “Verdict” cells are also filled in.
 Top of the page
Menneisyys Page Icon Posted 2006-12-05 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Updated version posted.

Dunno when I publish the final article - at least 2-3 days more. (Still working on correctly filling in the chart). In the meatime, comments are surely welcome
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 26 - Executed queries : 50