x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nav-cam 2007 question

« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... Next »
charles
charles Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 3:05 PM
#
Hey Captin. If you still have that SD Card image, I would love to get it from you. I've been trying forever to get it installed from the Tom Tom 6 CD and it just isn't working. My email is cwonsey at cox dot net.

Thank you!
 Top of the page
Captin Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 3:49 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

A quick not to all newbies. As this thread is very long now it might not look like the links to the tom tom 6 downloads and the maps are still here, but they are. Just look back a few pages of posts and the links are all there.
 Top of the page
pdm4320
pdm4320 Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 10:21 PM
#
First, thank you Captin for putting all the time and effort into this. It's nice to see people dedicating the time and effort to help others like this.

Now for my issue, has anyone recently had luck downloading and unpacking the RAR files from Rapidshare? I've been downloading them as available (through the free access - I'm cheap) and have downloaded the first 9 US map files for the US and the Mobilenavigator.rar file. The Mobilenavigator.rar file extracted fine and created a number of subdirectories and several files, however, the first map file created .dat files, two of which were of reasonable size (740K or so) - but 3 others of which were of 0 bytes. And map files 2-9 all failed to extract with fatal errors . All the map RAR files appear to be 48.8MB in size and didn't give any errors when downloading.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if it's just me, or if maybe the freeware I downloaded to extract the rar files might be the issue. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick.
 Top of the page
astrong
astrong Page Icon Posted 2008-04-01 8:12 AM
#
I just purchased the Nav-CAM2007 for $80 at Big Lots. Can you send me the TomTom 6 files? My email is astrong972@yahoo.com
 Top of the page
charles
charles Page Icon Posted 2008-04-01 2:17 PM
#
Yeah, so I feel like a complete idiot. I asked you to send the files when they were here all along. I swear I read through this whole thread 5 times before I posted to it.

Oh well, I got a rapidshare membership and it all worked great. Thanks Captin! Any chance of newer maps for this Tom Tom version? I have the 6.75 maps but it seems that noone has been able to get those ones to work.
If I have a valid license for the Tom Tom software, can I just purchase the maps online and use my Tom Tom Home to install new maps to the device over USB? New to Tom Tom software and don't want to spend the extra money on new maps if they can't be installed without accessing Windows CE or something crazy.
 Top of the page
wayne karr
wayne karr Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 11:21 AM
#
Captin, you the man
Thanks very much for the ay2be compatible download.

I put the files onto an SD card, with the UP map provided, however, when I start straight after the TT splash screen I keep getting the message "Your device will be restarted to complete GPS configuration", with a [Continue] button at the bottom. Pressing this button does nothing. It seems to be stuck in a loop.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne
 Top of the page
Dave
Dave Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 8:41 PM
#
the Nav-Cam 2007 works WONDERFUL with TomTom v 6 ..... Got mine for 80 bucks also, then liked so much i went and got another one.

software that comes with them works but was VERY buggy and UnFriendly.
 Top of the page
nmjmfan Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

charles - 2008-04-01 2:17 PM

Yeah, so I feel like a complete idiot. I asked you to send the files when they were here all along. I swear I read through this whole thread 5 times before I posted to it.

Oh well, I got a rapidshare membership and it all worked great. Thanks Captin! Any chance of newer maps for this Tom Tom version? I have the 6.75 maps but it seems that noone has been able to get those ones to work.
If I have a valid license for the Tom Tom software, can I just purchase the maps online and use my Tom Tom Home to install new maps to the device over USB? New to Tom Tom software and don't want to spend the extra money on new maps if they can't be installed without accessing Windows CE or something crazy.

Charles, can you PM with how you got this to work? I tried based on the info in the thread and cant get it to work. Thanks.
 Top of the page
Captin Page Icon Posted 2008-04-03 12:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

pdm4320 - 2008-03-31 3:21 AM

First, thank you Captin for putting all the time and effort into this. It's nice to see people dedicating the time and effort to help others like this.

Now for my issue, has anyone recently had luck downloading and unpacking the RAR files from Rapidshare? I've been downloading them as available (through the free access - I'm cheap) and have downloaded the first 9 US map files for the US and the Mobilenavigator.rar file. The Mobilenavigator.rar file extracted fine and created a number of subdirectories and several files, however, the first map file created .dat files, two of which were of reasonable size (740K or so) - but 3 others of which were of 0 bytes. And map files 2-9 all failed to extract with fatal errors . All the map RAR files appear to be 48.8MB in size and didn't give any errors when downloading.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if it's just me, or if maybe the freeware I downloaded to extract the rar files might be the issue. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick.

Hi,

You have to download all the RAR files before unpacking. All RAR files with the same name are linked to one another, you need every one of them to make the maps.
 Top of the page
pdm4320
pdm4320 Page Icon Posted 2008-04-03 12:29 PM
#
Captin - 2008-04-03 12:22 PM

pdm4320 - 2008-03-31 3:21 AM

Thanks,
Patrick.

Hi,

You have to download all the RAR files before unpacking. All RAR files with the same name are linked to one another, you need every one of them to make the maps.

Captin,
Thanks again. I actually downloaded a better RAR file exractor yesterday and found out that all the files where linked when it tried extracting the ones I had and stopped with an error message when it got to the last file I downloaded and couldn't find the rest. I'm continuing to download the files and I'm sure it will work well when I have them all.

Regards,
Patrick.
 Top of the page
blahblehblah
blahblehblah Page Icon Posted 2008-04-03 10:27 PM
#
I'm about to go pick up this gps tomorrow from biglots.

You guys that got it to work with tomtom6.

question. does this enable text to speech?
I know on many gps, you can do a simple hack and enable text to speech.

There's this magellan 3100 that I was looking into for $127 at target and price match at office depot + coupons to bring price down to under $110 at least.
but it's still out of my budget. But the 3100 can be 'hacked' to allow more POI and text to speech.

so that is why I am asking. I have a 2gb sd card that I'm ready to use for this gps... just want to know what benefit I get out of tomtom6 after the hack.
I'm not familiar with the tomtom interface.....

I tried to register for this forum, but for some reason, no matter what i do to my cookies setting, I can't find a verification code on that registration page. it just says "spammers are not welcome" weird. anyway. but any help to my question would be apprecieated! thanks in advance!!
 Top of the page
blahblehblah
blahblehblah Page Icon Posted 2008-04-03 10:37 PM
#
In addition to my previous post,

Captin, I have read this thread and think I understand the process.

However, I am wondering, if I have
Tom tom 6 + us & canada map 6.75 can i use that on this gps? Essentially it is made to be run on a pda (just like your tomtom files right?). but since we'd be using a 2gb sd card... it'd be like running the pda files.. except using a gps device to show it right? or am i missing something..

or do i have to change some things with the tom tom navigator 6 software..
pretty much, I'm trying to ask if I have to go through downloading all those rapidshare files, because if not, i'd much rather use software I have access to already...

thanks in advance. and like previous post. would this enable text to speech?

Top of the page
Captin Page Icon Posted 2008-04-04 12:55 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

The Tomtom I have IS from a PDA but that just means it's a full version unlike the tomtom found on the tomtom go tomtom one GPS units.

All you have to do to make it work with a Nav-cam 2007 is put the tomtom program and the maps on your SD card and thats it. Reset the device and it will run the tomtom.

I dont know about text to speech as this isnt something i'm interested in. In what way do you mean text to speech? Do you mean reading text files/ If thats it then you can run programs in the operating system on the unit, which isnt part of the gps software, you can also view pictures and play MP3's on the nav-cam 2007, but again that isnt part of tomtom it's just programs in the Windows CE OS.

I know there isnt a limit on POI's though.
 Top of the page
blahblehblah
blahblehblah Page Icon Posted 2008-04-04 9:29 PM
#
by text to speech, I mean the kind where the unit is able to speak the name of the street you are to make a turn on.

I know many gps units will speak: "Turn right in 40 yards" or so.

but text to speech units say something like: "Turn right on Church Street in 40 yards"

They recognize the name of the street that's on the map and try to voice it.
It's helpful sometimes when driving.

Can you play videos on the nav cam??? hmm. i'm confused which to get :-/
 Top of the page
Captin Page Icon Posted 2008-04-05 10:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The ability to play MP3's or pics or video's is nothing to do with the software installed, it's to do with the Windows CE.

Some software has built in ability to play these files however. Other units have the software pre-loaded into the O/S and a selection on the menu.

I have a DVD player installed in the dash of my car so I dont need these abilities. I also find it quite easy to use the standard commands of the tom-tom sat nav (IE turn right/left or "oh bollox do a u turn now" if you have Roger from Viz as your voice).

I can see that proper spoken street names could be good though, but all the ones I have heard sound like a bad computer doing an impression of depressed android.

I am working on getting the latest version of Navigon working on the Nav-Cam 2007, this has 3d maps and a thing called real view. But I can only find european maps.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10