x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

custom roms for 900c!

« Prev ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... Next »
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

this is an advanced way of loading an image onto the 900c!
without a serial cable, it works only with bootloader versions higher than 4.5.1. this means version 4.5.1-6 and 4.10.
with a serial cable, you can use it with older cenet or any hpc2000 bootloader too.
version 4.5.1-6 cannot use this method due to CF reading bug.

I read this as saying that 4.5.1-6 can't use the serial cable, but is OK otherwise for the method above your quote, whatever it is. Ignore the description of why it can't use the serial cable. Almost nobody has a serial cable and 4.5.1-6 is a common version that has been presumably overwritten many times, AFAIK.

Wait for confirmation by Cmonex.

Regards, Don

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 8:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Fallingwater - 2008-04-02 10:43 AM

I've had a look at cmonex's site, but I'm finding it hard to understand just what I have to do to flash my 900c.
I have the bugged 4.5.1-6 bootloader, which, if I understand correctly, means flashing straight from the CF card is out in any circumstance, right?

Does this mean I must have the serial cable? Because it didn't come in the package and I can't find it on sale anywhere...

Also from here:

this is an advanced way of loading an image onto the 900c!
without a serial cable, it works only with bootloader versions higher than 4.5.1. this means version 4.5.1-6 and 4.10.
with a serial cable, you can use it with older cenet or any hpc2000 bootloader too.
version 4.5.1-6 cannot use this method due to CF reading bug.

Isn't this a bit contradicting? Does it work or not?

Thanks.

out of the many methods, as described, the updater method is what works for your device, go to the rom downloads page to get the updatekit.

possibly i'll put this in bold letters at the top of the page because people with 4.5.1-6 is a common scenario.

as for the contradiction, it means the 4.5.1-6 can attempt loading a RAM image even without serial cable (with serial too, of course), by simply using R+F key presses, but the image will not load properly because the CF reading routine is buggy.

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-02 8:56 AM
 Top of the page
Fallingwater Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Whoops, I messed up the links - the text file I got that excerpt from is the one related to the RAMOS boot. The updater file doesn't mention 4.5.1-6.

So I use the updater method, the one that runs update.exe from the cf card and flashes bootloader 4.10 from saboot.nb0, right?
 Top of the page
Fallingwater Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I figured it out. The 2.0 custom rom is really much nicer than the standard WinCE.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-03 5:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Fallingwater - 2008-04-02 9:09 PM

Whoops, I messed up the links - the text file I got that excerpt from is the one related to the RAMOS boot. The updater file doesn't mention 4.5.1-6.

So I use the updater method, the one that runs update.exe from the cf card and flashes bootloader 4.10 from saboot.nb0, right?

yes as mentioned here on my site (http://hpcmonex.net/nec900/roms2.html) :

bootloader 4.5.1-6 is lethally buggy, it has a bug that NEC left in and so it does not flash the images right using the C+F keys method (or probably even serial). if you flash an OS image, it will never boot the OS. if you flash a bootloader image, it will become a total brick but jtagging method is now available!.
if you unluckily flashed an OS with this - i think the bug is in CF handling. it can be saved by ethernet flashing. but, accessing the eboot menu requires a serial cable (buying or building one - details are readily available) and platform builder as well.
but good news: you can update this to bugfree 4.10 easily as long as your OS is still booting! on the next page (below) you will see an update package for this.

Fallingwater - 2008-04-03 3:14 AM

I figured it out. The 2.0 custom rom is really much nicer than the standard WinCE.

glad you like it

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-03 5:08 AM
 Top of the page
BMillerNY
BMillerNY Page Icon Posted 2008-04-07 3:37 PM
#
Monica,
Thanks again for all your work (you've really made the 900c a valid machine for today)
What jpeg viewer do you recommend for browsing and marking or deleting images shot
on CF (my Nikon D70s). It would be great to delete and flag (or have a trusted friend delete and flag)
shots on the way home from a shoot. It would also make bus and train time more productive.

Do you think that Pocket Artist (and which version) is a good tool for the 900C?

It seems like your V2 ROM implementation of Pocket Word is enough for me for now --
but which TextMaker version should I buy for Macros in the future.

It seems like everyone wants to see browser improvements. Maybe a Java or Flash runtime could be on the
new CMoneX ROM.

Peace!
Billhttp://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile_rolleyes.gif
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile_rolleyes.gif
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-08 8:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

flash 7.0 is already in rom
as for browser improvements, i cannot put shareware in the rom but opera mobile 8.60 (not 8.65) is great! get it from opera.com
(8.65 will be working soon too, that version can use the integrated flash7 too)

textmaker doesn't do macros afaik.

as for other software, just try it out to see if you like it. i'm fine with the default image viewer so can't recommend much from experience.

TO EVERYONE: see http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12124&posts=12#M114614 (Posted 2008-04-07 10:03 PM)
i really hope my secret idea of a great new feature will work out

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-08 8:54 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-08 3:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex, something occurred to me yesterday. Are you planning on inserting any Easter eggs in the custom ROMs, like secret key combos to reveal credits (like for Geared2003's enhancements) and stuff like that? (I know Easter was a couple of weeks ago, but my old brain works a bit slower these days. )
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-08 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, nice idea, CE Geek. i might consider that
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-08 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK ...

i got the new idea working...

so now i present the new feature to you all!

persistent registry and persistent storage

this means, if the 900c loses power, all the settings, registry and files will remain.

additionally, there is no more Storage RAM, all that RAM will be used for program RAM.

the root of the filesystem is mounted to the 32MB flashdisk (Internal Disk, but there will be no such folder anymore obviously, it'll become "\".

this will give you more space for your files because the Storage RAM is usually never allocated such a whopping amount of 32MB!

the only issues right now :
- PIM databases are only implemented for object storage (i.e. the RAM based filesystem)
so if you want to use/sync PIM this will be broken. you'd need to implement your own syncing solution, and i don't think coding something like that is a small task. so i will make two roms, one will have persistent storage for users who don't care about PIM, and the other will still be ram based but will have the hpc2000 PIM (as long as i can indeed port that over).
- i *need* to code up something that will show how much storage you have remaining (this will be a control panel applet probably). right now nothing shows that in cenet 4.2 with persistent storage... and if you ever manage to fill the disk up and the OS wants to write the persistent registry it won't be able to. then you have to boot to an OS with a non persistent registry to clean the disk.
- following from this... i will make a small RAM OS image that'll clean your registry and disk in such a case, but under normal circumstances you'll never need that. unless you want to do a full hard reset which will mean cleaning the disk, but you have to leave some ROM files there, so my app will take care of that.
- the internal disk now will have \Windows under it, right now with full shadowing enabled (i could not get it working without it YET). this means the ROM modules cannot be seen *at all*. of course they can still be shadowed just fine (i.e. updated by copying a new file with the same name over them). and it also means, all the OS files from ROM (that are not modules) are copied here. the user is able to delete them but i don't recommend that unless you know what you're doing... so the file attributes for them will still be HIDDEN just incase
to avoid filling up too much of the 32MB with the ROM files, i'll just make all the exe's and some of the dll's into modules, so that most of that neat ROM space will be used, and the 32MB storage won't be wasted much.

edit: but maybe i can get this working without shadowing too, means there will be more space for the storage. would be even better

if anyone wants to test this to see how well it works in real life, i'll soon have a beta build... right now i was just lazy and based all of it off the ce.net beta image by NEC, because that already had persistent registry implemented so i just had to implement persistent storage (god was it a pain due to sparse documentation! thanks TFGBD!!!)

the beta build will take some time because i want to base it on a final cenet image and that means converting the entire registry from it to the persistent version, then of course other small adjustments will have to be made too.
so stay tuned

as a sum up main new features of v3 will be:
- persistent storage and registry as an option OR hpc2000 PIM as the other option (i hope)
- new skin from Geared's latest cool stuff preferably
- bugfixes, app updates, some small new features such as adding new driver app i'm coding up, readding wordpad as an extra viewer, etc etc

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-08 11:56 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-09 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm... i'm able to create new contacts in the PIM contact app... though it's gone after removing power. so not sure why the documentation said the PIM won't work. maybe it does, just gets lost.

but files and settings remain you don't even have to recalibrate on rebooting after power loss!

one more thing, i might be able to optimize RAM usage on first boot ... this image right now eats only 5MB of the RAM. we all know the available cenet images use ~10MB.
you can achieve this by storing modules uncompressed in rom. normally they are compressed and so they eat RAM when loaded.
if i need to store files on the flashdisk then i might as well use the freed up ROM space to store the modules uncompressed

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-09 12:07 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-09 4:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Cool! That way I can take the main battery out and store it rather than let it run down to preserve the data.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-09 4:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

(double post )

Edited by CE Geek 2008-04-09 4:27 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-09 9:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-04-09 10:19 AM

Cool! That way I can take the main battery out and store it rather than let it run down to preserve the data.

yeah, i guess if you don't use it for a while it's useful to do that

(otherwise instant on is great)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 1:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

well, with all the CE devices I have, it still has to wait its turn.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10