x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm getting a Pencentra 130 ! --- DDK ?

1 2 3
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

thcrw739 - 2007-04-06 6:35 AM

It really is 16 bit color...

Its hard to tell as you said because of the display...

but you can plainly see it change if you take a colorful photo
display it in 8 bit, do the change then look at it again..

Allthough the display isnt the best for looking at pictures,
its still good enough to tell a big diffrence....

I didnt catch the edit on my above post in time , but i thought i'd add this...
this is actully a trick i learned from an epods site when i still had my epods one..
I thought maybe other hpc's had the same capable screen...

So i tried it on the pencentra and it worked...simple as that

There's actully a guy on ebay i bought my pencentra from that i told this too & now he sells them as upgraded from 8 bit to 16 bit or as he puts it from 256 colors to 64000 colors wich with the restore cd & direction he sends with the units i could see how this could be an affective selling point..

Anyways just a little info on the history of this trick...

Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 11:35 AM
#
H/PC Elite

What editor can I use to open reg?

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
hackjackal Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I used the Pocket Registry Editor from the HPC Pro PowerToys 3.0 Pack in my PenCentra 130 to see if the display settings were similar. No such luck. It must use a different display chip than the PenCentra 200. Instead of this sequence in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Drivers
Display
PLUM
Bpp
it has this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Drivers
Display
Active
Built In LCD
REG_SZ Dll ddi.dll
REG_DWORD BufferMode 1
REG_DWORD TapMode 1

-=hackjackal=-
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm not sure if the 200 has a diffrent video chip then the 130, but then again it could be hpc pro vs hpc 2000, a diffrent reg editor could show diffrent things, i use tascal, etc...

with out others to test diffrent systyems i wouldnt know for sure what makes it work excatly , but i do know my pencentra is a 200, 64mb ram, hpc 2000 and i use tascal reg edit and it works so you can go from that....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 4:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The same key is present in my IZZI Pro (H/PC Pro) - in two places actually under Display: plum2 and plumcrt2. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I tried editing the key value to 10 on the IZZI Pro, but it doesn't look like the IZZI Pro can handle it. After soft resetting, the display is full of horizontal lines. They disappear when you hold the stylus tip on the screen - and there's a definite improvement in the color quality - but the lines return as soon as you release the stylus tip from the screen. I had to set the value back to 8.

thcrw739 - 2007-04-06 8:28 AM
There's actully a guy on ebay i bought my pencentra from that i told this too & now he sells them as upgraded from 8 bit to 16 bit or as he puts it from 256 colors to 64000 colors wich with the restore cd & direction he sends with the units i could see how this could be an affective selling point..

This guy doesn't happen to sell a "new Web browser setup for the Jornada 720" as well, does he?

Edited by CE Geek 2007-04-06 4:33 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek, no, he meant my1990
 Top of the page
hackjackal Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 5:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thcrw739:

Thanks! You mentioned using the tascal registry editor in your post. Until the PenCentra 130 came along this week, I had been HPC-less for quite some time and had forgotten about it. It is much nicer than the one that I was using. It's in place and in use now. The ability to export to a file is really handy. Right now I am looking through to try and figure out how to activate Javascript/Jscript in the browser. I see the entries in the registry, and I'm wondering if there's a registry "On" switch that's missing. I tried using STweaker 2004, but so far no go. There is a web page that you can go to that tells Javascript to show it's capabilities. It was written for the PSP, but it should be helpful here, too. Each of the entries show blank on the PC130, and I can't get Javascript calculators to work. The registry hunt may yield some gold. The Jscript.dll file is present in the Windows directory. Anyway, thanks for the regedit tool tip.

Back to the screen - Even though it is washed out when used indoors with the backlight, the color spectrum look better than they looked on my old Point 510 which was another Dual Scan 256 color LCD pen unit. Alas the 510 is being retired after living a very hard life. My HPC Pro came just in time.

-=hackjackal=-
 Top of the page
hackjackal Page Icon Posted 2007-04-07 8:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thcrw739:

Javascript works! I found an RPN Javascript calculator that works like it is supposed to. Funny thing is that even though I know that Javascript is working now, the Javascript functionaility query page that I found shows each of the topic headings with no entries under each heading. I'm guessing that this early version of MS JScript (as I think they used to call it in the pre-ECMAScript days) might not know how to report its capabilities(?). The other day I stumbled into a project at lunch while I was at work where a programmer has created a BASIC interpreter in Javascript. If I can figure out the quirks of the browser's JScript, maybe I can work with him to get an early-JScript-specific version out. Wish me luck.

In all of this tinkering, the only problem that I've had with my New-Old-Stock PenCentra 130 si that a small area of the screen (about left to right center, one third down from the top) has trouble seeing the pen presses. I'm guessing that with the unit hailing from around 1999 and this being 2007, some of the sense wires might have oxidized slightly in spots. If I press harder than normal it works. With use it is getting better, so I think that the (oxide layer?) problem is getting wiped clear with normal use. I've got a mini-Fujitsu keyboard and a USB mouse, so it isn't like it will prevent use. Besides, I always use the lower part ot the screen for text recogniton. I'm hoping that I can save up enough money to buy a second one of the packages from Halted. It was such a great deal. The Fujtisu micro PS2 keyboard (as the kids say) ROCKS! I want one for my desktop now. :-)

-=hackjackal=-
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-07 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have the fujitsu ps2 keyboard as well, docking station, & i even have a external battery charger wich holds 2 batterys, never found much use for it since i only have 2 batterys and one ac adapter and its a little beat up, but it was free so i cant complain and it does work...I also use a serial transfer cable or what some call a null modem cable with a serial to usb adapter for sync from time to time...

One thing ive wanted was that portfolio case that holds the unit and the keyboard and has the esel in the back so you can set it up like a laptop or somthing...

Ive seen them from time to time but i have not been able to find one for a good price...

Top of the page
hackjackal Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 1:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Having nerry a nybble in the greater sea of bits on my quest for my long dreampt of HPC PRO 3, WinCE 2.11 Device Driver Kit, (aka the DDK) the lovely little DDK has conginued to elude my grasp. I can not even find code for the sample serial mouse driver.

I woul love to dig into the software and firmware internals of the PenCentra 130's USB, sound, and video systems. Ah, but where to find a tech doc. Perhaps as this model is gently retired from service, Fujitsu or their VARs will have mercy for us and pry loose some PDF tech docs. Well, I can hope, can't I?

Hey Fujitsu! Hey Microsoft! Are you lurking thest boards? :-)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 2:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've heard that Fujitsu is still pretty good about tech support for these older devices - have you contacted them? Maybe they have some ideas.
 Top of the page
HSC Online
HSC Online Page Icon Posted 2007-04-17 3:14 PM
#
Hi all! I am with one of the vendors selling the 130's for $119.00 Up until a week ago we were supplying an additional 16MB DRAM. However we found out we ran out way to fast. MemoryX sells the 16MB chip for $100 which is in my thinking crazy.

Why am I here? I am hoping that maybe someone here knows a good source for memory for them. If not, no loss as we will continue to seel the PenCentra's for the $119.00 package deal as mentioned.
 Top of the page
Flor27
Flor27 Page Icon Posted 2007-05-16 1:38 PM
#
Hi all,

I've got too a Pencentra 130 but with no accessory...

I got it access to Internet with a WiFi PCMCIA card and using an USB mouse with the right drivers

But now I would like to have more fun with it - I mean making some programs for it.

My first projets would be to display some OBDII codes thru a serial interface I already own.
My second wish is to be abble to make a kind of electronic car dashbord, with RPM, speed and that's it.

I have a very small C knowloedge (now being a PHP web dev. for years), so what language will feets my needs ?

Thank's !
 Top of the page
fez1 Page Icon Posted 2007-06-27 7:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I just purchased a pencentra 200 off of ebay. This is my first dip into tablet type pc's and I'm way over my head. I have not received the unit as of yet, but I have been researching and I realize that this is old technology and I'm now worried that it won't do what I want it to do, i.e., surf the net, check my sympatico email, and write some word doc's while travelling.

Can you assist in recommending a suitable wifi card? I need this unit to surf at hotspots in hotels, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Top of the page
Chris1 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello. Also considering buying the Pencentra 130. Is there a Linux distro for it? And yes as Flor27 asked, how can you program the thing if the SDK isn't available? Is there any open-source resources for it?
I'd like to ask the opinion of someone who owns one. Is it ideal for reading large amounts of material? Let's say you're the type of person that hates paper, and commit as much of it as possible (1000s and 1000s of pages) to digital format. Would your eyes fall out if you spent a lot of time sifting through such material?
What's the largest flash card it will recongnize? Can you attach an external USB hard drive?
Flor27 also said he got on the net with a wifi card. Being that this thing uses a MIPS processor, would that make it extremely resistant to hacks? Thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.437 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 33