x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Does vim (the text editor) exist for the 900c?

NewMexicoKid Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am a MobilePro 780 user who has enjoyed using ViM CE the last few years but am soon to upgrade to a used MobilePro 900c. ViM CE appears to be supported only for CE 2.11 and 3.0; does anyone know of a version for the 900c?

Many thanks--this is the application on my 780 that I use the most (http://www.vim.org is the ViM home page).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 2:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I guess I'm confused NewMixicoKid...what does VIM CE have to offer over all the other hundreds of text editors out there?

I downloaded the celib.dll and the Vim program and put them on my 900C. It ran...kind of. I couldn't get the menu to do anything, but when I went to exit out of the program it asked me if I wanted to save the file and I did. I was able to open that file using the native Wordpad program on the 900C and could see the text that I had written...

Still I'm confused on what VIM CE has to offer over many other editors that seem more powerful and are free as well.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 2:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

edit: sorry i see it doesnt.. maybe you can downgrade to hpc2000 on the 900c.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-18 2:24 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 2:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I tried both ARM versions for HPC, the 3.0 and the 2.11...they both responded identically....
 Top of the page
NewMexicoKid Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich, Cmonex,
Thanks so much for the quick response and investigation!

Rich Hawley - 2007-04-18 1:17 PM
I guess I'm confused NewMixicoKid...what does VIM CE have to offer over all the other hundreds of text editors out there?

ViM is vi improved. Unlike the vast majority of text editors, it is a moded editor. You might be interested to see this article: "Research Shows: There is A Perfect Editor". It states in part:

Experienced emacs and vi users, who use their editors to write and edit English text, performed a series of basic editing tasks and wrote a movie or book review. Our findings suggest that moded editing, as exemplified by the vi editor, may be preferable for fixed editing tasks, while modeless editing, as exemplified by the emacs editor, may have some advantages for free composing.

The vi subjects left fewer uncorrected errors in their final files than did the emacs subjects when doing fixed editing tasks from marked up hard copy. The emacs group tended to take longer to complete the editing tasks, but the time differences may have resulted from differences in typing speed.

I like to use vim for editing. It is very powerful for doing tasks without moving your hands from where they are typing on the keyboard. You can switch to the navigation mode with the escape key and jump anywhere or search through the file with a / or a ?. Just imagine an editor that has extremely efficient and comprehensive key mappings; add to that the vim enhancements over vi that allow one to customize those mappings with macros. That's vim.

I downloaded the celib.dll and the Vim program and put them on my 900C. It ran...kind of. I couldn't get the menu to do anything, but when I went to exit out of the program it asked me if I wanted to save the file and I did. I was able to open that file using the native Wordpad program on the 900C and could see the text that I had written...

Still I'm confused on what VIM CE has to offer over many other editors that seem more powerful and are free as well.

Rich

Thanks for giving things a try. I'm looking forward to installing Cmonex's custom rom when my 900c arrives; and I hope to find some working version of vim to add there someday.

Top of the page
NewMexicoKid Page Icon Posted 2007-04-29 12:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just as a follow-up in case there are other CE 4.2 vim users out there. I found the fix for the non-working menu, I think. See this explanatory page by Rainer about how his ported UNIX CE programs stored environment variables in the registry.

I will try Rainer Keuchel's cereg.exe to set the necessary registry values (and hopefully they will do the trick).

There is also this post that talks about installing the supporting files for vim for proper syntax highlighting, etc.

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-04-29 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hmm, this is an interesting topic. I'm well aware of the emacs and vi loyalties that still persist today, but it never came up (at least to me) in the HPC community before.

Rich, the concept is quite simply - no mouse, or in this case, stylus. When you're typing at high speed, taking your hand(s) off the keyboard is a significant time loss. Personally though, I grew up using DOS Edit, so I got used to the arrows and 6 edit keys. Some other people I know prefer to use the numpad edit (numlock off). However, most HPCs do not have dedicated edit keys, and in the case of the MPs the four arrows are not properly placed, which makes advanced edit (ctrl-home, ctrl-shift-left, etc etc) too cumbersome. And the problem is similar with laptop keyboards.

So I guess it makes sense for some ppl to prefer the emacs and vi type of editors on HPCs, since they don't use the edit keys.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-29 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I found MG too be quite useful and it works on the 900c. It's more of an Emacs clone, but also resembles VI/Vim. Might be worth giving it a shot.

http://tillanosoft.com/ce/mg.html

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11