x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

skeye pad sl hardware issues

scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-07-03 6:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello hardware freaks,

i just decided to start this subject because some of you like to discuss some features related to the skeye pad sl hardware. There already has been some discussion in the Windows CE 4.x .net / CE 5.0 software section of this forum .

So let's start it up.
The skeye sl has a special connector at the bottom. With the base setting of the registry there's a full featured COM-port (COM2 from wince side of view). To connect to your host PC via serial line you might build your own cable. Have a look at the attachment.

Inside there's a socket with a second serial port (COM1 from wince side of view).
On most pads this connector is unused, at least on my device.
The connector is intended for addon modules build in by the manufacturer and
uses 3.3V TTL levels.

If got a DECT enabled device, you might throw the module out and put something else in it. Have a look at this. That's one of the possible devices (it's a DECT one).
You will find connection schemes for these modules on that page as well

So if you like to fiddle around with hardware stuff start posting .

EDIT: Have a look at the pics from the hardware. I'd like to apologize for the slow connection. Drink coffee!

Cheers,

scholbert

Edited by scholbert 2007-07-03 6:32 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hw90340_serial_cable.pdf (18KB - 42 downloads)
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-07-03 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just saw doquitealittle opened a new thread too.
But i think we should follow up in the hardware section.

Audio sucks. Two speakers but mono output. I think Scholberts pad only had one speaker. This may be because of a problem with interference from the monitor ribbon and someone before him just pulled the speaker out. I had the same issue and rerouted the wires and solved the problem.

My pad is mono too (because there's a UCB1200 in it), but it has to speakers.
I had to pull the connector to dissasemble the device.
Some pads have excellent stereo sound, i wish i had one.
There's a real good codec inside (WM9705 from wolfson).

Ps2 in cradle may not be a real ps2 port.

You're right it is used for power supply

Device REALLY needs a usb host controller and port.

I absolutely agree with that.

external speakers remain on when headphones are plugged in.
This maybe a software bug or registry setting. I'm not sure at the moment. I'll do some investigation .

Inverter needs to be moved to the center of the pad to the left of the battery where there is a ton of space cuz it gets hot on the right hand. This tweak would also need a heat sink incorporated to keep it off the lcd too.

Good idea!!

reverse engineer the pinout on the bottom of the device to find the serial lines.

No need for that. See attachment of the starting post.

scholbert

Edited by scholbert 2007-07-03 6:47 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-03 10:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A DIY serial cable would be great - then it wouldn't be necessary to dismount the cradle to sync with a home PC via cable.

Sound through speakers is decent on mine, but it's clearly monaural.

Can the PS/2 port be wired to supply sufficient power to, and receive data from, input devices (mouse, keyboard)?
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 5:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

CE Geek - 2007-07-03 10:34 PM
A DIY serial cable would be great - then it wouldn't be necessary to dismount the cradle to sync with a home PC via cable.

That's new information for me, because i got no cradle for my pad. So, you're not able to sync with the pad mounted???

Sound through speakers is decent on mine, but it's clearly monaural.

Try to play some mp3 audio file, sounds crappy for me!
I used the lightweight GSplayer for that.

Can the PS/2 port be wired to supply sufficient power to, and receive data from, input devices (mouse, keyboard)?

I got no cradle, but i will check this. As far as i remember there's a Pin for 5V supply at the connector of the pad.
It should be no problem to draw ~ 100mA from this pin for keyboard power. The internal voltage regulators are very strong though!

Regards,

scholbert
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 5:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I haven't been able to sync at all. (I was able to soon after I got it, via IrDA. But then my server PC's hard drive crashed and I lost the partnership, and I haven't been able to recreate it since - the skeye.pad quits after less than a second of attempting to connect, even at factory settings after a hard reset. Makes me wonder if some registry entry was maintained after the hard reset.) I've never connected successfully via serial/null modem cable. When I say "dismount" I'm referring to the cradle, which I intend to mount on my car's dashboard. If I use a cable to sync, then I have two choices: take the skeye.pad and its cradle out of the car to connect to the PC, or bring the PC into the car. Either possibility is rather cumbersome.
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I've never connected successfully via serial/null modem cable.

I really don't know what's wrong with your particular hardware .
So maybe check your cable connections again. You might have a look in the attachment of my opening posting.
This connection definitely works, i used it a thousand times.

Perhaps you should also check the registry entries from ActiveSync of your host PC. Some older versions of ActiveSync only accepted two partners to sync to. If formerly synced with a PDA and another HPC device for example, your skeye pad might not be able to sync with host because an additional device will be blocked from the host.
If there's no checkbox to remove partnerships in your version of ActiveSync, try to delete one of the partnerships manually in your hosts registry and try again.

If I use a cable to sync, then I have two choices: take the skeye.pad and its cradle out of the car to connect to the PC, or bring the PC into the car. Either possibility is rather cumbersome.

That's true!!
But if you'd like to use the cradle to sync...

Try to get the connector from AVX and build your own cable .

Cheers,

scholbert

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 4:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know whether my null modem cable has all the crossover connections in the diagram in your attachment - I was hoping there'd be some markings on the cable to tell me, so I wouldn't have to rip it apart to find out. (The online catalog from which I ordered it doesn't specify.)

I have ActiveSync 3.8 with 17 partnerships (excluding the skeye.pad). Never had a problem creating a new one. It doesn't look like I'm even getting that far - I don't think the skeye.pad communicates with the PC at all before it quits after less than a second trying to connect. (Both cable and IrDA connection attempts produce this result.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-06 6:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

18 partnerships now - I got a connection! It was the serial-to-USB adapter. Swapped it with a new one and off it went!
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-07-06 6:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2007-07-06 6:03 AM

18 partnerships now - I got a connection! It was the serial-to-USB adapter. Swapped it with a new one and off it went!

Damned... that's great .

This sync stuff can be really frustrating if it doesn't work, regardless if it's hardware or software issue.

scholbert
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-08-16 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi there,

i just read another posting form CAuser http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8522&sta...
Picked it up here to collect the useful information about the hardware

Hi Guys, have you tested the battery life of the pad? I charged it completely and used WiFi continuously for 1 hour. Guess what? It still had 72% power when I got tired. It's simply amazing!

The endurance of the battery is quite good. I did the same, browse the web with PCMCIA WLAN card the whole evening. No problem with battery life!

The manufacturer of the battery is totex: http://www.totexusa.com/index.htm
I think they build up a custom package for the skeye SL because the pack is not listed under the standard cells.

Here is the technical data:
totex manufacturing inc.
U80137
7.4V / 3600mAh

It seems there are four cylindrical 900mAh cells combined in parallel to one block. Two blocks are put together in seriell, so we'll get 2x3.7V = 7.4V

Cheers,

scholbert

Edited by scholbert 2007-08-16 5:13 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-08-16 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's the capacity we'd want for our HPCs.

Edited by CAuser 2007-08-16 5:24 PM
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2007-09-12 11:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello Lads,

Any tips on opening the unit up to get to those battery packs? There's no screws and I'm hard pressed to pry the case open without some guidance. Pics would be awesome!

Thanks,
O'flash
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-09-12 11:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm trying to figure that out too. My screen is starting to flicker, so I want to check the screen cable. I can't find any screws on the outside.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-09-12 11:54 PM
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2007-09-13 3:20 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Aye, I've managed to pull the bezel away at the sides, but something seems to be holding it very tight at the corners.
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-09-24 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey oflash,

uups! I think i have to look more recently into this forum to help you out!
I hope you didn't damage your case in the meantime

oflash - 2007-09-13 3:20 PM

Aye, I've managed to pull the bezel away at the sides, but something seems to be holding it very tight at the corners.

There are four TORX (size 6) screws at the backside of the pad. The screws are hidden behind some plastic caps. You might take a small metal drill to get the caps out of the holes. Of course warranty is gone afterwards.

Additionally the bezel is fixed with some kind of snap-in brackets. So you might release them with some tight pressure after removing the screws!

You might have a look at this picture. Unfortunaly i got no photo from the bezel itself but it shows the pad from the front after lifting off the front bezel.
You might see the screws holes in every corner, so please release them first .

Good luck!

scholbert

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.304 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11