x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pocket Dos on Jornada

gowing5754 Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear All,

I note that there is a new version of Pocket Dos out. I'm wondering if people could share there experience of using Pocket dos. Is it worth buying. What do you use it for.

Regards

Charles
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 11:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've tried several old DOS programs on it, and most of them run nicely. (There are limitations on what you can run based on display resolution and sound source, though - don't bother trying an app that requires a sound card.) It seems pretty stable too. Advantages over the free pDOSBox: 1) PocketDOS can run nicely in full-screen mode; and 2) much broader compatibility among H/PCs (at least among the older versions). (Originally written for the H/PC back in the days of CE 1, it supports SH3 and MIPS as well as ARM processors, while pDOSBox 0.63 requires an ARM processor with GAPI installed to run.)
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-07-12 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I no longer use CE on my jornadas ( moved to linux ), but PocketDOS is worth the few dollars they are asking for sure. If you like using old dos apps/games etc you wont regret buying it.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-12 6:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PocketDOS can be a little tricky to configure, if you plan on completely reconfiguring it - mainly due to the learning curve. If you are content with the DOS install that they give you and have a specific purpose in mind you can start immediately.

By default PD is an XT emulator - that means a 286, you can use the BOCHS CPU module to emulat a 486 however and you can also get coprocessor plugins for more advanced software.

In my opinion PD isn't a program you just download to fiddle with, you need a purpose to give you direction in learning it, or you will become frustrated.
Of course very geek worth their salt has installed Windows 3.x on it
 Top of the page
gowing5754 Page Icon Posted 2007-07-12 6:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

If only I were a geek. Now that I have it loaded how the heck do I load games into Dos. I get no where with this and feel a real dope. Is there a primer for dummies in here about how I get programs on my Jornada. While I'm at it is there a difference between active sync 3.8 amd 4.1 which I'm using.

Regards

Charles
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-12 6:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Stick with 3.8.

You need to either create virtual floppy images to install software, or mount a CF card as a drive letter and install from there.
 Top of the page
Christopher Page Icon Posted 2010-02-08 5:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

RTFM -

I was searching the archives looking for help with a DOS project of mine and saw your post that you only use Linux with your Jornada's now.

If that is the case you might just be the person to help someone out in the FOR SALE / WANTED forum. Someone is currently looking to buy a working copy of Linux on a Compact Flash to be used on a Jornada.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-08 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry, but no one will want your CF because people just need to get the files at the JLime Home Page, partition and format the CF, copy the files and execute.

But if you want to sell a flashboard the things will get much different!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11