x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC with transreflective display?

rasva Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is there any handheld PC which has transreflective display? What I mean: Try to take your Jornada 680,690, or mobilepro 900c and go outside to a direct sunlight. What do you see on the display? Nothing of course.... I would love
to have a handheld pc of size of Jornada with such display, where you can even swith off the backlight if you have enough ambient light.
There are many PDAs with this display so I suppose there are some HPCs also....
Any recommendations?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The Sigmarion 3 has a partial transflective display and I find it nice to use indoors and out.

Though you will need to convert from japanease and sort out a few other apps etc
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 5:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Fujitsu's PenCentra has outdoor versions with reflective displays - I have one. Others may disagree with me, but I find the display crisp and clear in direct sunlight. However, the PenCentra has a larger display (640x480) and no keyboard - it's a tablet-style device. (Any PS/2 or USB keyboard will work nicely with it, though - it has both ports.)

Edited by CE Geek 2007-08-06 5:24 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 7:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the sig3 is decent as long as there is not too much shadow.. in that case the 900c can get better
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-08-10 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Get a black and white hpc, they're all reflective and let you turn off backlight

Honestly, transflective screens aren't as good as they sound. My PPC (HTC Wizard) is not that readable under sunlight. There's a gap between too much sunlight to see the backlight, and enough sunlight to reflect off the screen. So when it is "too bright", I would have to either find shade to use the backlight (same as transmissive screens) or change the angle to reflect the sunlight (remember Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance?). So you have a second option compared to transmissive screens, but it isn't a perfect one
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-10 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

probably the htc wizard isnt transflective just transmissive?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-08-11 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It is transflective. If it isn't, there's no way to read it in the sun.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9