x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 820 Battery

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-13 8:27 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Does anyone know where to pick up a new battery for a Jornada 820? If not, has anyone rebuilt a battery for the 820? If so, what cells are used?

I've got an 820 coming and the battery supposedly doesn't hold charge for very long and I want to remedy that.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-13 3:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

See this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8550&posts=38&highlight=Jornada%20820%20battery&highlightmode=1#M90221

I've picked up a second (nonworking) 820 just for the battery, but that one runs down even quicker than the first one did when I got it. I have a third (working) one on the way whose battery "seems to be holding a charge" according to the seller.

Rebuilding should be easy, if we could just find the right cells. The internal cells of the 820 battery were made by Sony (see the above-referenced thread for the part number), but a Google search has turned up nothing, and there aren't any on eBay (or batteryspace.com) either. If we can find 3.7V cells of similar size, we might be able to use those. Maybe it's time to talk to places like batteryspace.com (and/or similar) about whether they can point us to anything similar.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-08-13 3:22 PM
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 9:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for the link, I didn't catch that one earlier.

I did some searching on the 103463 battery and found that this place may make them: http://www.gpcell.com/products-1-005.htm They have them listed with either a stainless, aluminum, or nickel jacket.

It looks like the LP103463S has the closest dimensions to the Sony US103463.
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 12:29 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I got my 820 today and it is in excellent condition, but the battery is completely shot. It's so bad that the 820 doesn't even recognize that it is there. The 820 is putting power out to the battery so it looks like I'll definitely need to find a new battery for it.

I do have to say that I am really liking the 820! I prefer the trackpad over the stylus and the 820 is quicker than my 900C. Can't wait to get the battery situation fixed so I can really start using it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 1:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ledthrax, what firmware do you have on that 900c?

when i saw a 820 it was definitely slower than the 900c.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 1:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Despite its 190 MHz SA-1100 processor, it may not be so quick after you've installed several programs and reduce the available program memory. (I install just about everything that isn't a driver on the CF card, but I still only have about half of the 16 MB of RAM still available - and it is definitely a bit slower. There's a 16 MB RAM upgrade module that's supposed to be available, but I've yet to find one online, new or used.)

That battery looks close to what we need. The capacity is a bit lower than that of the Sony cell - 2000 mAh - but that sounds like well over what it needs to supply anyway, if I understand correctly how the batteries are connected. (I think it's two pairs of cells, each connected in series, in turn connected in parallel to the device. Am I wrong?)

I'm going to try to find out about pricing for those cells, in case we can use them in the 820 battery.
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 1:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Cmonex: My 900C is loaded with the newest bootloader and ROM V 1.0 from you.

Regarding speed, the 820 just seems to open and close things quicker, the clock sets itself to the actual time in about 2 seconds, and I don't have to wait for it to recognize a CF after I put it in. I understand that the 900C may run programs faster, etc, but I am so used to how quick my Jornada 720 is that the 900C seems really slow. If there is anything to speed up the 900C I would be very interested.

CE Geek: The Sony sheet from the above link shows that it is a 1,700 mAh cell. Do you have something different that says it is a 2,000 mAh? You are correct about the cells being wired both in parallel and series to get double the voltage and double the capacity.

I have emailed several places that I have found regarding the 103463 cells and have not heard anything back yet (it's only been about an hour or so since I sent out the emails). As soon as I hear anything back I'll report here.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-14 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ledthrax: hmm, i would disagree on the speed of opening and closing app but then i guess that 820 i saw wasn't freshly hard reset.

the clock thing on the 900c is a bug.

hmm my CF is fine with it, so maybe it depends on CF type - maybe the driver isn't perfect.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 4:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

ledthrax - 2007-08-14 10:56 AM
CE Geek: The Sony sheet from the above link shows that it is a 1,700 mAh cell. Do you have something different that says it is a 2,000 mAh?

There's a graphite version that has a nominal capacity of 2000 mAh, and a carbon version with a nominal capacity of 1700 mAh:

http://products.sel.sony.com/semi/PDF/Catalog-e.pdf
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 7:27 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Cmonex: After spending some time last night with all three of my HPCs, I realize that I was making the 900C out to be slower than it really is. It had been awhile since I used the 900C and it isn't as slow as I remembered. My new Sandisk CF card opens up much quicker than the old one I was using so maybe that one just wasn't as good.

CE Geek: Good call on that one. I saw it initially but skipped past it to find the OEM battery.

So far I had heard nothing back from the following places:

AAportable power
GPCell

I emailed McMaster-Carr and they cannot get the OEM battery or an equivalent.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-08-16 6:23 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Keep me posted if you hear anything on those batteries. I never thought about searching for just the numbers (103463).
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-16 11:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Neither did I. Good heads-up by ledthrax.
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-17 12:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So far I have had no responses to the places that I have contacted.

Anyone have any luck?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-17 5:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I haven't heard anything either. Geez, I hope those aren't old sites.
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-08-17 6:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm kinda getting the feeling that they are...
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.531 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9