Site Help & Support - Hardware Compatibility List v4.0 Users Guide
The Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) v4.0 is the latest version of the Handheld PC Community compatibility listing. The HCL project is over 4 years old and with the latest release, is even better than ever!
For four years, the HCL has provided Handheld PC users with compatibility and
support information for an ever expanding range of different peripheral devices.
Listed below are some of the common questions we are asked regarding the HCL
and its procedures.
What is new in HCL v4.0?
The following is a summary of the key user changes in the v4.0 HCL:
- OS & Platform support has been expanded to include compatibility for all Handheld PC and Core-OS releases. Windows CE .net is now individually listed as 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. Windows CE 1.01, 2.10, 2.12, 5.0 and 6.0 have also been added
- Dynamically choose which Windows CE versions you want to see - view all supported platforms, just 1 or any combination in between
- Performance enhancements to better optimise database response
- Paging! Instead of being presented with a continuous list of devices, the HCL now supports paging
- No more confusing client side 'drop box' for notes/driver information, it's now in a popup
- Unlimited Historical driver downloads. We can now make available archived driver release for any given listing, not just the latest release. A new global drivers facility supports bundled downloads in addition to the per-OS schema.
- New Operating System level notes as well as global notes allowing us to be more specific on individual problems and suggestions for any given platform
- New navigation functions
- New basic search routines
- Revised graphics
- Flat view has been depreciated - there is simply too much information to allow it
- EULA update
- And more!
Accessing the HCL
To access the Hardware Compatibility List please point your browser to: http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/
Before you can use the HCL, and each time you wish to make use of it, you must agree to the HPC:Factor EULA. The license outlines our responsibilities for maintaining the HCL and your responsibilities as a HPC:Factor user.
Read the EULA and when you are ready to enter the HCL click I Accept.
If you are simply looking to submit information to us for inclusion into the HCL, please see the submission form here.
Welcome to the Hardware Compatibility List - Getting Started
Whether you are looking for something in particular or just browsing, it is very straight forward to begin using the HCL for the first time.
Once you have accepted the EULA you will be transferred to the HCL home page. There are two way to get started with the HCL.
Search for a Device
To search for a device simply locate the search box and type in what you are looking for. Using the basic search box you can search for:
- Device Names, model numbers and part numbers
- Search on a per-category basis
Browse the Listings
On the right hand side of the HCL home page is a list of all the main and first level categories used in the HCL. If you wish to browse the listing, simply select the category that interests you to visit the HCL compatibility information for devices in that category.
Filtering results for an Operating System / Platform
In the Hardware Compatibility List v4.0 you can customise the search results to display results for a specific Windows CE Operating System Version / Windows CE based Platform. By default the results display only results for:
- Handheld PC 1.0
- Handheld PC 2.0
- Handheld PC 3.0 Professional Edition
- Windows CE .net 4.2
If you wish to adjust the read-out on the main HCL results page
- Click the Choose Operating System graphic at the top of the results page
- From the list, select the Windows CE versions you wish to see results for (as shown below)
You can choose as many or as few as you wish to see results for
- Click Go to alter the search display based upon your selections
How to use the Search Results / Category Browser
The search results view and the category browser view both use the same interface, providing familiarity and ease of use.
The diagram below outlines the main elements of the HCL viewer
What do the Compatibility Icons Mean?
This device works with the specified version of Windows CE
This device will work with the specified version of Windows CE, however has an advanced set of requirements in order to make it operate or runs with limited functionality/performance
This device will not work with the specified version of Windows CE
What do the Form Factor Icons Mean?
Other Form Factor
PCMCIA / PC Card (16-bit)
Chip Based Upgrade
Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Where are the Notes & Drivers?
In HCL v4.0 the notes and drivers sections have been moved to enable us to provide you with more comprehensive information and to speed up the overall performance of the HCL. All notes and drivers on any particular item can now be found by clicking on the device name in the search results / browser window.
When you click on the link you will br presented with a popup window containing the Hardware Compatibility Information for the device. An example is shown below.
Can I submit devices/additions/correction to the HCL?
Yes! The HCL is a community resource and will only grow with the help of the community. For more information on submitting to the Hardware Compatibility List please click here.