x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help to transfer contacts/tasks/calendar items from 720 to 728

jondoig Page Icon Posted 2007-08-27 1:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm moving from a dying 720 to a (2nd-hand) 728 and need to transfer my contacts, tasks and calendar events. Any suggestions please?

What I've tried already:
* Transferred all my files over successfully via ActiveSync to a PC
* Tried backup from 720 but restore on 728 said something along the lines of it being a different device.
* Tried Outlook Express for the sync but of course that's not supported
* Tried installing Outlook but it dies on my laptop (conflict with our beloved Groupwise?)
* Tried copying the Databases directly using Explorer but they won't budge

Apologies if this has been covered a million times, but "Search forums" was timing out for me:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'
Timeout expired
/forums/search/query.asp, line 212

Jonathan
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-27 1:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What about using the HP backup utility on the 720 to back it up to a CF card, and then using the same utility on the 728 to restore?
 Top of the page
jondoig Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 4:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you CE Geek!

I never would have remembered I had an HP Backup utility.

Worked like a charm... although running backup without the benefit of a screen is a bit tricky!

[Didn't need a CF card, just the internal memory, as I could afford to delete all the files I'd already transferred to make plenty of space. Then transferred via a laptop and Activesync.]

Giant Double Chocolate Cookie for you!

Edited by jondoig 2007-08-28 4:18 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 4:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How did you run HP Backup on the 720 without a screen?
 Top of the page
jondoig Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 8:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I did a soft reset on the 728 (with screen) and on my 720 (without screen), then did the exact same keystrokes (and keyboard shortcuts) on each. When I connected the 720 to the PC, voilĂ ! There was the backup file. :-)
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 9:04 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

You may have by now already resolved your problem - However in case you have not:

I have now had seven different 720s and/ or 728s and often received the message you mention of the machine being different. However I have always managed to resolve this by:

1. Ensuring the language is the same as that used by the machine creating the original back up - as shown under Regional Settings Properties in Control Panel.
2. Setting the World Clock to the same home city as that used by the machine making the backup. - as shown in Control Panel.
3. Noting the Partnership name used in ActiveSync when making the original backup.
4. Naming the Jornada to be restored in the Device Name box - under Communications properties with the same Parnership name used in 3, above. - as shown in Control Panel.
5. Deleting the Partnership name in item 3, above from ActiveSync.
Then:
6. Once the above has been done connect the Jornada to be restored to the PC and follow the usual on screen prompts to set up the partnership.
7. Go to ActiveSync\ Tools\Backup/Restore\ and then change the back up location to the location where you saved the original backup and click yes - but DO NOT BACKUP (as you will overite the original backup file data!) - instead click the restore tab and then click restore and your new Jornada should be restored from the back file you created on the original Jornada.

N.B. If you wish to have more than one Jornada synced / backed up on the PC, then once you have restored the Jornada as above, you can then create a new Partership by renaming the Jornada in the device name box and thus have two or more Jornada's (or other Handheld's) each with their own Partnerships.

I hope the above is of help.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 9:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ExPsionMan,

Would you be interested in writing a formal CESD on your steps above there? It would be a useful addition to the support section
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 5:18 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

How were you able to use the J720 backup on a J728? I just swapped the memory/ROM board of a 728 in my 720 and when I restore the original 720 backup the registry get overwritten, disabling my keyboard
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dredging a thread from 2007... not cool.

Rule 7: https://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=2
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 8:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I didn't even noticed it was so old. Aren't old posts locked ? I guess not and I need to start looking at the last post date. Sorry for the nectroposting
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12