x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Creating File Associations in CE 2.0?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'd like to build a file association for Textmaker in my Sharp Mobilon 4100, so I can open *.docs without having to open TM first.

I tried to crib from my TM associations in my Jornada 720 registry, but on a soft reset, ended up hard resetting my Mobilon. That was a pain, what with having to rebuild ActiveSync partnerships on two laptops, so I'd love to have some advice as to how to file associate safely in CE 2.0. Small Tweaks, for example, appears to be for later OSs.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 3:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It really is not all that hard to add into the registry manually.

Export the hive for tmd and its associate pointer key, replace any .tmd with .doc in notepad and import it again
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay. Can I assume that the tmd hive is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT under key .tmd with a sub key of ShellNew?

If so, then I'm that far, but wonder if you can tell me where to look in the registry for the "associate ponter key," which is not a term I'm familiar with.

Many thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 8:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm not up on the specs for the Sharp Mobilion 4100, but if it has a CF slot, there's an excellent full backup utility that backs up the device to a .dat file on the CF card (I only have the CFBackup.exe file as given to me by a friend). Probably a good idea to avoid the killing of activesync relationships.

I didn't know textmaker worked on CE2.0. I'll have to look into that
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I use BSquare backup utility to restore from a CF, but when you restore, desktop AS still wants to establish a new partnership. It must be something to do with the fact that your restored HPC Pocket Outlook databases don't contain the most recent syncings with the desktop and the databases don't jibe.

TM version 397 was the last to work with CE 2.0. Haven't heard if TM will sell older versions or not.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 2:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake, sorry I thought you were asking because you had seen the other thread on this.

Under .tmd there is a REG_SZ (string) called Default. This will have a value something along the lines of "textmakerdocument", that is the pointer key. Find that value as a key under HKCR

e.g HKCR\textmakerdocument

Make sense?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 2:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It does. Many thanks for the help, Chris,

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9