x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help for a lost beginner

makemsmile Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 2:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greetings,

I am an embedded designer with several years experience with micro-controllers. The platform, that I'm used to, is programming in 'C' using an IDE. I'm used to a wizard that helps insert the normal necessary code to get things started.

I have a personal project that I want to develop. I've purchased a 900C that I would like to start making a few 'little' applications that will interface with some outside hardware that I'm going to create. The problem is, I'm completely lost on where and how to start. I've installed embedded visual C++ 4.0 with service packs 2, 3 & 4 and the Standard_SDK. I've opened up the program and I have no idea of where to start. I've googled all over the place and have found very little help. This site is one of the results that I found. I've searched the forums here and I still feel like a lost puppy.

Would the knowledgeable and experienced 'Gurus' be able & willing to guide me by the hand and start me on the way down the yellow brick road?

Many thanks,

Ronald
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 2:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i still didnt install evc4 (soon..) but it looked the same to me as evc3 which i installed and have used a few times.

you create a new workspace (file/new), select some type of project (i just use "simple wince app" ), name it then let it create it. then you will have some box at the right, with tabs at the bottom, select file view tab, and then you will see a tree, select source view and there you can just click on the cpp. then you can go code away

btw it will insert the winmain() for you but thats all. do you need more than that?

heh, just some extra tip: if you want to insert assembly code or just have it assemble your asm stuff (i've only done the latter with evc so far), you can't do inline asm. but you can use asm files to link to. to get it to compile the asm files, add a file to the project, then right click on it in that file view thing, select settings, then in "commands" type if you are doing arm: armasm filename objectfilename (the obj file name it compiles to)
and in "outputs" objectfilename
(thats again evc3 but iirc evc4 is the exact same..)

oh, and what programs do you have in mind that you want to code? this sounds so interesting hope it is no secret

Edited by cmonex 2007-09-06 2:40 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Welcome to the forums

Programming Windows CE is not difficult in C, and the code necessary to get things up and running is very simple.

If you're writing a command line application, there is no real initiation you need. You can use the standard C libraries, and life is easy.

If you're writing a windowed application, it's still straightforward and pretty much the same as writing any Windows application: register a window class, create a window, handle the messages, tidy up.

I strongly recommend the Boling book (programming windows ce) as a great introduction even if you have no windows programming experience whatsoever. it walks through the basics, and includes sample code that you can use as the template for your projects.

If you want me to help you, I'll try. I would recommend taking a look at the Boling book at the earliest opportunity though! It covers everything you're likely to need from the GUI, messaging, threading, processes, ... you name it
 Top of the page
makemsmile Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the tips. I'll look at getting the Boling book. I like it when I'm treated like I'm in Kindergarten again and walked through tutorials. It's easier for me to digest.

I'm not sure if anybody here would have an interest in my project but I'm a Cub Master in the scouting program. I have a Pinewood Derby track that I have added several bells and whistles to. Currently, I have an automatic starting gate that has a stepper motor attached to it. I have a controller, with a Microchip MCU, that is acting as the brains. I, also, have an electronic finish gate that has another MCU that acts as the timer. The controller board (I call it the Master) talks to the timer (Slave) via an I2C link. The Master tells the Slave to start timing and sensors tells the timer when each car has crossed the finish line. The Master, then, retrieves the timing information from the Slave. The Master keeps track of the times of each car as they are rotated through each lane. The times, of the fastest six cars, are displayed on three LED signs.

Before the race, I have each car entered into, yet, another MCU circuit via a small PC keyboard. The information is displayed on an LCD display for the person typing the information in. It looks a bit hokey but it works. I have this data sent, wirelessly, to the Master. The Master, also, sends it's data to the signs wirelessly. I want to replace this keyboard circuit with the 900C. I plan on writing a small application that I can execute by touching an icon on the screen. The data will be entered into whatever application screen and then, maybe, by selecting another icon the data will be sent to the Master. I'll make some sort of circuit to interface with the USB port that will handle the transmission.

It's not very glamourous but it'll be a fun little project. I've done this stuff to my track so the parents can go, oooooooooooooo. Does this sound like something fairly easily doable?

Ronald
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-09-07 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sounds like fun. I've messed around with the Atmel AVR stuff which is fairly simply on the MC side of things, and also includes and I2C interface...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-08 3:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have second and third edition of boling....if you need info about it i can help
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-09-08 8:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Welcome to Windows CE development. I started some time back in 2002, (it's been 5 years!) but this is a very fun thing to do If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Visual Studio 2005 is also good for Windows Mobile, but you must use eVC4.0 for H/PCs.

Edited by stingraze 2007-09-08 8:21 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9