x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Montevale Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have tried searchng the forum on three different days and it appears the search portion of the site not working.
Is it just me or someone else is experiencing the same problem?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Dan Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Montevale the search function does not work properly (long story..) but there is a trick to make it work. You have to unselect the Search in messages box and to select the Search posts made in the last.. and then to click on Go.

Hope C:Amie won't see this thread..
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-06 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you can search in messages fine, but then you need to restrict some other search parameter.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-09-07 7:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to HPC:factor related discussion
Montevale Page Icon Posted 2007-09-07 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks for the info
finfin Page Icon Posted 2007-11-14 10:17 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I get a timeout even if I only search messages for the past month for one (not very common) word.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-14 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you must specify more restrictions on your search, it does not matter if the word is not common, what matters is restricting the search parameters. then it will work just fine.

edit: oh you already specified past month, hmm maybe server overload at times? it usually works for me

Edited by cmonex 2007-11-14 10:25 AM
Joe Blow Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 7:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Fellow (and Fellowette?) Frustrated Searchers,

Since search sucks so badly and I probably can't find it here, can someone provide a link to the "long story" about why it's so bad? I would like to help make it not suck, since I make systems not suck for a living. I'll just add this to my long list of pro-bono and charity cases

All the Best,
Joe
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 7:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

My personal favorite:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9699&sta...

Found it using "Search the Forums."

I'd like to see your resume, Joe:

Duties and responsibilities: Making things not suck.
Joe Blow Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks CE,

Now I know what _not_ to do, I think! That apparently should include not PMing C:Amie with a copy-and-paste of the timeout error message

A crash - now it's all beginning to become perfectly clear as mud. Of course, everything was backed up both in full copy and incrementally When personal computers first came out (long before IBM PCs), I used to have people, that I was teaching how to use them, delete all of their work at the end of a long session. They would hesitate, and I would assure them that it was OK, and that I was just going to show them what to do to prevent losing their work. They would then dutifully rm -r *.* (for the *nix lovers out there and watch as the entire system was wiped slick. Then, they waited for me to show them how to recover their work, to which I replied, "Your work is all gone. Poof. Vanished. No longer in this dimension. The valuable lesson you have learned is to always set up an automatic backup of your files when you start using any system." To this day, every single one of them has enjoyed an existence with computers where they never lose anything (and, with remote backup over the Net, well, there's just no excuse for complete catastrophic loss at a single site, due to a fire, flooding, etc.). Of course, I didn't tell them about recovery utilities, because then they wouldn't have learned their lesson, and would have depended on something that doesn't always work (and is usually very expensive in terms of lost time, if not also money, for no good reason, in any case).

That's not to say that I don't still do extremely stoopid things with computers, myself (hey, a guy's gotta live on the edge to keep things exciting every once in a while, right? ).

All the Best,
Joe
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 8:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Use google to search the site...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 7:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joe,

The problem in this case was that in a little less than 48 hours we lost not only the master SQL server, but also the off-site backup store too!

The thing is now going to tape, but this configuration is in effect causing the time-out issue that is blighting this board. More worryingly for me, we have no off-site backup of the databases any more. As I stated in the bugs thread, I have some theories and am awaiting smoke signals from Insurgent on some configuration changes.

mr-mac,
Use google to search the "site" is fine. Use google to search the "forum" is not. Google is missing vast amounts of the board index because there is no crawler path.
Vanzano Page Icon Posted 2007-12-04 8:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Nice tip C:amie, i was searching in forum not in site.

Edited by Vanzano 2007-12-04 8:13 PM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 34