x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 2.0 / palm irda sync

FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-09-08 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've just been playing around with an IBM Workpad c3 (I wish it was a z50 xD) and I suddenly wondered if it would be possible to sync contacts and other files using only the irda and a windows CE 2.0 device. (I use the 2.0 device as a laptop replacement at the moment) There may be better places to look for such information, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask - not least because I don't have the time until next week to really look into this properly.

Any information would be great.

If you're wondering WHY (a fairly reasonable question I guess), I'm pondering using the workpad as a HPC companion. I'll eventually get an early palm based treo and combining all that with the other devices I have, I'm seeing what sorts of cominations of devices work well in what combinations as something of personal interest research. The current CE2 device is a Cassiopeia A-20, though I'm trying to get a 620LX.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2007-09-09 2:15 AM
#
FROST_GIANT - 2007-09-09 1:43 PM

I've just been playing around with an IBM Workpad c3 (I wish it was a z50 xD) and I suddenly wondered if it would be possible to sync contacts and other files using only the irda and a windows CE 2.0 device. (I use the 2.0 device as a laptop replacement at the moment) There may be better places to look for such information, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask - not least because I don't have the time until next week to really look into this properly.

Any information would be great.

If you're wondering WHY (a fairly reasonable question I guess), I'm pondering using the workpad as a HPC companion. I'll eventually get an early palm based treo and combining all that with the other devices I have, I'm seeing what sorts of cominations of devices work well in what combinations as something of personal interest research. The current CE2 device is a Cassiopeia A-20, though I'm trying to get a 620LX.

I own a 620LX, CE2.0 machine and I have utilised an IrDA for syncing in the past. For what it is it works well. However, it's not very quick and fiddly to set up but it did allow me to bootstrap and synch the 620LX to my desktop when it was still very new.

However, may I recommend to get both an IRDA along with an ethernet or wireless card and a CF card as well if you are planning on getting an 620LX. Networking is my preferred method of synching. It's far less fiddly and far more reliable and a lot quicker to transfer than IrDA.

In the end now I just use 2 methods of transfer. Keeping backup copies of drivers, CE patches etc etc and other important files on CF card in case the 620LX undergoes a hard reset failure and ethernet for syncing.

IrDA is my last resort.

Edited by Britty 2007-09-09 2:16 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-09-09 2:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Britty, I think FROST_GIANT is trying to exchange PIM data directly via IrDA between the Palm OS device and the CE 2.0 device. (The IBM WorkPad c3 is, IIRC, a clone of the Palm m500.) With 2.11 and above, Conduits' Peacemaker can do this, but I'm not aware of a way to do it with a CE 2.0 device.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-09-09 2:34 AM
 Top of the page
FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-09-09 7:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek has it right. I already have a wireless card for CE2.0 ^_^ Getting the A20 to sync with my laptop (the only thing with an irda port) was impossible because I can't assign the irda port as a COM port because my laptop is silly and new. (There may be another way but I'm not aware of it). I got filetransfers working with TotalCommander, which is fantastic, but I'm still looking for a CF-PC Card adapter because I'm increasingly worried about loosening the CF card cover with too much use :/

The C3 is actually a rebadged Palm V (or in some cases Vx - the unit I have is only a V as it's got 2 and not 8MB which as far as I'm aware is the only hardware difference). Using total commander I managed to send some text files from my A20 to the Palm, but that's about as far as I've gotten. That said, I haven't done a lot of (read: any) real research into this yet, was just wondering if anyone had suggestions.

Because I use Thunderbird and not outlook for my E-mail on PC, and I utterly despise syncing for the most part anyway, I don't bother with sync with the A20. I use it as a standalone notes-taking machine, and save everything in RTF format to get around the conversion issue. I had serious doubts at first, but now I don't know how I ever lived without it. I was using an HP rx1950 with hardwire keyboard, but the keyboard ceased functioning and at the end of the day 240x320 is less than ideal.

I'll try having a look into Peacemaker later in the week, thanks.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-09-09 2:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't get your hopes up - I think it only works with CE 2.11 and above.

I was close about the WorkPad c3. The Palm V looks almost identical to the m500, and the IBM clone of the latter is actually the c300.
 Top of the page
FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-09-10 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

The v and m500 are pretty damn similar - and because it's palm OS the only real difference I think was that the m500 came with a vibrate function and an SD slot, but I could be wrong there. I've had a bunch of uni assignments plus I've been making desk space ready for the arrival of the 620LX so the palm's been shelved... for now.

While I've found it generally useless, I must say I'm rather envious of the screen clarity and rock-solid feel of the thing.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-09-10 3:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The cradle/cable connection on the bottom is also different between the Palm V and the m500. As for rock-solid feel, I think you'll find that the 620LX beats any Palm hands-down (no pun intended).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-10 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the palm V came with an older palm OS version as well.. but was able to update to 4.0 iirc? not sure if to 4.1 too. (m500 was able to)
 Top of the page
FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-09-15 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

In theory I know the V can be upgraded to at least 3.5.3, but using what's available on the Palm website now, 3.3 is the highest you can go. (3.5 and up are only offered for Palm Vx) That gives, incidentally, the ability to sync over irda, but that in itself would require a host software for the HPC. Palm OS seems to accept vCards, whereas my HPC doesn't seem to know what to do with them, so that's not much of an option either.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-15 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah, so the V and Vx are not the same..
 Top of the page
FROST_GIANT Page Icon Posted 2007-09-19 4:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

V is 2MB, Vx is 8MB, but that's the user memory. As far as I know the flash chip with the OS is the same (based on shots I've seen of the insides of units) but I could be wrong there. As far as I can tell, the update is free (and available) for the Vx's because that's what was out when the Vx was released.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30