x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Fujitsu U810 Coming Soon

1 2
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-09-25 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

(canceled but still submitted)

Edited by CAuser 2007-09-25 10:12 AM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-09-25 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-09-25 4:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting. It's a little more expensive here in japan.
wa3ra Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmmm, I wonder what the battery life is like...
My Fujitsu LT C-500 outlasts my 900C by two hours, although it isn't as instant-on as the NEC is, it's nice to be able to use Win2K instead on CE.net
evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It sounds like a nice item, however, the keyboard is small so if you want to use it for the wordprocesing part, it may be too small for most people. And the price is $900 to 1000. It may be more cost effective to get a sony picture book or an older Fujitsu Lifebook. I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. There are a lot of listings on Ebay. Battery life I think is 6hours.
evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 4:03 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The screen is 5.6 inches. When I first heard about it I started doing some research and decided for what i do, it was not a good fit for me.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2008-04-04 1:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FWIW, I've had my U810 for over a month now and it's a great lil' convertible TabletPC design.....I got the one with Vista Business so that I'd also get the WinXP TabletPC recovery disks...

So, first thing I did was upgrade OS from Vista to XPTPC and it works great....

Second thing was to replace HD with 100GB Toshiba for more storage and it a bit faster....

Third thing was to get Fujitsu Executive leather case, very nice...

Fourth thing was to get the standard battery so that the battery doesn't stick out the back as I almost always have AC power available
so don't need extended battery...

Fifth thing was to install Debian so that I could dual boot XPT and Linux....

Right now, all is good....

evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-04-04 3:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Is the keyboard comfortable enough to use? It seems rather small for typing.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2008-04-04 4:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

evieabston - 2008-04-04 12:19 PM

Is the keyboard comfortable enough to use? It seems rather small for typing.

Well...that's a good question, evieabston....and a very personal one, by that I mean what's comfortable for me may or may not be comfortable for you....if you know what I mean...

Obviously, one of the main reasons I think for getting the U810 or other small devices like it, is so that you can always (or most of the time, etc...) have a fairly powerful computing device with you, right? Otherwise, why get it when you could get something larger with bigger keyboard and display which is easier to read things on....

So, the point is that I think one has to decide how portable is portable enough for one's needs and go from there....and if you decide that portability (small size, lightweight, etc...) is very important to you then you have to accept that there will be some compromises in order have a device like this...

Having said all of this, I'd say that the keyboard is SMALL, but usable, especially with a modified touch-type approach, at least that works for me....wouldn't want to type a whole novel on it, but for small amounts of typing I think it's OK...but if you haven't used a small keyboard like this before, you'll probably need a few days to get used to it, especially with the way that you need to use the Fn (function) key + some other key for certain symbols that you wouldn't need to do it this way on a larger keyboard...

Of course, one way around this situation is to think of the U810 as just a computing device that you move let's say from home to office, etc...so at each location you plug in a large keyboard and monitor, then there's no issue about size compromises anymore....however, this doesn't help you much if you'd be using U810 in various places on the go....but suppose you could bring a Stowaway folding keyboard with you....

Anyway, hope this helps a bit....

1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.191 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 27