x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The "Forum ideas / Bugs / Request" thread

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
Frozen
> Evil E. <
> Evil E. < Page Icon Posted 2007-11-03 1:19 PM
#
cmonex - 2007-07-26 1:00 PM

some bug report here: maybe its just that the search isnt working perfectly now but regardless of that i've had this suspicion for a while: it will not find some stuff even though the stuff is there and i used the right keywords etc.

but now found an example where i'm 100% sure.
try it:

this thread: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6058&pos...
has a post from me from 09/22/2006,
i mentioned the word bootloader in that post

now if you try to search for this, it will not be found.

poster name: cmonex
date: between 09/01/2006 and 09/30 or something like that
and keyword: bootloader

C:Amie - 2007-07-29 11:09 AM

Looks pretty legitimate to me. Bug well found

This is indeed a bug in the v2.2 core, MegaBBS v2.2 is incapable of handling dates properly in the Search function.

@ C:Amie : you should've known about this if you actually took the time to check the test forum (you-know-where) and read the threads there.
Don't ask me how to fix it, mate, I don't remember because it's been a pretty while since I discovered and solved this bug...
(in fact : I think that this was one of the first bugs in the v2.2 core that I patched)
I do remember that this was a tricky issue to solve, the Search page does a lot of fiddling with the dates for some reason (too much fiddling, to be exact), that's what causes this bug to manifest itself...

Greetings from > Evil E. < to C:Amie, BTW... P.S. : you've got a PM...
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-03 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

whoever you are, Evil E, i understand you don't remember how to fix it, i would still ask you to fix it for C:Amie if you ever happen to remember, please

can be damn annoying. i'm otherwise fine with the "broken" search funtion, it still finds me everything i need except when this bug surfaces
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There's nothing like being harranged on your own forum.

I've done 72 man hours of someone elses work in 15.5 hours this weekend, you can grate me all you like on it, but this is normal. So when I actually get any time off, what do I have to do - a load more IT project work! Suffice it to say, fixing PD9's mess is rather low on the will-power score. Or put it another way, it gets about as much attention as my social life, and probably more attention than my romantic life!

So yes, I'll devote what little energy I have at this point in my Sunday looking over PD9's code until I go snow blind and may be, just may be someone actually decides to help me run this site.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well that's the exact same i asked from this guy (i.e. that he should help)... sorry i have no idea about ASP.

Edited by cmonex 2007-11-04 5:12 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 5:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Monica, your search now works.

Somehow I don't think that the Evil one is in the slightest bit interested in running a Handheld PC site, which is what I asked for . He's a fellow PD9 kernel re-writer. Damn good one too.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

erm, already fixed? that was fast.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 5:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've now worked solid for 18 hours, and only had a 20 minute break to eat. I'm leaving now. Good night cruel forum.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 7:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ugh, crazy. anyway thanks for the fix but i hope that didn't take much of the 18 hours
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-05 7:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The post times tell it all

Posted 2007-11-04 7:48 PM
Posted 2007-11-04 10:16 PM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-05 10:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

right, that's what i guessed, OK then, *relief*

Edited by cmonex 2007-11-05 10:58 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 6:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have had (yet another) look at the statistics for transaction times against the SQL Server today, and I must say that when someone hits the search engine, the process times are diabolical.
For some reason a dual 3GHz+ (I forget the exact clock) Xeon is choking on the requests. In order for the average full body search transaction to complete, the SQL server needs around 50 seconds to poll 93,000 records. I have managed to rewrite some of the SQL procedures involved today and have pulled that down to 35 seconds - some 15 seconds better... however the transaction time is still out of this world - and no combination of timeout periods is going to get the web servers to work with the SQL server so long as it is in this state.

I then noticed that there seems to be a glitch in the catalogue index; sadly we have to use unicode to do everything. Looking for a resolution to this glitch I have asked Insurgent to spend some time setting up a slow link replication partner. I am going to copy the stores over to the UK farm and see what happens when the catalogues are rebuilt.

There will not be a need to take the site down to do this, however assuming Insurgent can get the firewall rules and security in place, I would expect the site to grind for a few hours while the replication happens.

I do not know when this will happen, however as this is the first lead we have had on this issue in months, I wanted to share it with you all.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 8:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

great stuff wishing luck
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 9:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nothing back from Mr. Insurgent yet. Insurgent, check your email
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-31 6:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sadly it seems that the gods have conspired against us community. I have been unable to make good on my project promises for this holiday period - something that I am truly sorry for.

I have all the plans in place for the modifications I promised that would enable us to pre-register legacy H/PC users to bypass the logon verification, I cannot make the SQL server database changes because I am still locked out of it.

The SQL replication hinted at above has not taken place here, neither have we fixed the forum search, much to my aggravation

I cannot add gender and birthdays to the forum profiles again for reasons of database permissions

After a year of being fairly stable, the mail server appears to now be on the blink again too as - has been observed - it has been out since the 24th
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 8:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This thread is now closed. A new thread for discussing Forum issues during 2008 can be found here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11325&po...
« Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 25