x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The "Forum ideas / Bugs / Request" thread

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next »
Frozen
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I suggest moving the quick reply box below the "Jump to page" and "Now viewing page" lines and Reply and New Thread buttons. The reasons are: 1) I keep losing track of which page I'm reading and how many pages there are; sometimes when I read the last post in the page I mistake it for the last post of the entire thread. 2) I sometimes click on the Reply button instead of the Submit button after typing the whole thing in the Quick Reply box, potentially losing everything I type (usually clicking Back will bring back the text, but not always).

If anyone disagrees just shout
 Top of the page Quote Reply
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:19 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I don't know how much the Admins can do about that one, it sounds like a more browser-specific problem. I know that konqueror always saves text, firefox usually does. Older versions of IE? Never.

Sorry, but I think that clicking the wrong button is user error...oh wait, it is.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

And my suggestion is supposed to help reduce that error. Ever heard of user friendliness?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Takwu, I'm not about to admit to the world that there is some horrific problem with the cookie session manager - not until I know what is causing it, for all I know this could just be a teatinh problem with old cookie sessions and uncleared caches.
If we don't see a cease to the errors, I will give your idea f linking to my cookie checker some thought.

As to the second idea on moving the QR box. I will give it some thought, but ultimately, I will leave that one down to peoples comments on the idea in this thread. If the concensus is to move it, I shall do so.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 9:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually it doesn't happen very often, I mean clicking the Reply button by mistake. So I don't really know how often, if at all, the text might be lost if the browser loads another page and comes back. I actually did that once today (honestly by mistake), but the text was still there after clicking Back.

But I would not assume the text will always be there in such situations, especially since it is an ASP generated page. I do not know how the browser determines it, but I believe there are many reasons for it to re-load a page like this, throwing away any input in the controls in the previous page. The point is this is a pontential problem which may be reduced by the rearranging the page.

In any case I hope my first and more important reason is not forgotten. I do believe having the Page numbers directly below the last post of the page makes more sense than being below the quick reply box. That box is not part of the thread's existing contents afterall.

*edit* While you're at it, also consider rearranging the lines at the top. The Page numbers would make more sense below the Reply and New Thread buttons, and forum section links. That brings it closer to the posts and would put it in the order of specifics - Sections > Pages > Posts.

Edited by takwu 2006-02-24 9:25 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 7:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It has nothing to do with the ASP generation. The form requests are handled by your browser and it falls to it to determine when session expiration on the client cache occurs. If the site recieves an 200 request from the server when you hit the back button or your browser has cleared the POST cache, then you will not see the text, otherwise you will.

Consider your view cast, as I said above. I'll work it on concensus of the board
I don't have an issue with it either way around.

It's setup like with Invision currently, in essence you want it changed to match phpBB if people want to find boards to compare.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 12:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Regarding Maul's upload bug on Page 13.

I didn't hear anything back from PD9 in good time, so I have fixed this myself. Avatar and Profile uploads to our stores now work.
There is an additional sequencing bug, however you are unlikely to come across it and it wont affect operations of the upload process under normal conditions. This, as ever, has been logged with PD9.
iraqigeek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yesterday I registered in this forum, and selecting location country and hitting submit, I get a message box saying " To aid us in providing support you must specify a location" although the says "profile updated successfully". If I close the settings page and open it again, it will not have my location updated, and would still ask me to enter my location. However, I can enter my location in the textbox for location and the forum will save it without any issues.

I am trying this on two boxes. Both running firefox 1.5 with noscript and google web accelerator. One is running XP Pro, while the other is running XP Tablet PC Edition (both have SP2 installed). I have disabled google web acceleration and allowed java scripts to run for hpcfactor.com, yet the problem is persistant on both boxes.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 6:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Issue fixed thank-you. There was a double variable population which was nullifying the drop box's value assignment.
Checked in Firefox 1.5.0.1 and MSIE6.
Link Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 11:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey what about a forum section based specifically on online HPC gaming.
Link
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 12:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

New forum's are considered based on a perceivable user demand, and then voted on by the owners. Start a pressure group
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh really? Then why is there no WiFi/Networking forum yet?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 2:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a hardware forum, and people haven't nagged me about it - that's what pressure groups do, they nag me.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It finally happened. I typed a reply in the QR box and clicked Reply (which happens about once per day) and this time the text was gone after I went Back on the browser.

It is really irritating. Especially that I predicted it would happen, tried to tell myself not to do it, tried asking for a fix, and finally it happened and I lost the stuff I typed. Fortunately the text was very short and not important at all.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 1:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, as a small precaution, you can copy what you typed to the clipboard just in case. I do that sometimes.
« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10