x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The "Forum ideas / Bugs / Request" thread

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next »
Frozen
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-01 11:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I understand and you are right... I would rather we have spammers from guests than from a registered user.. I guess the spam guests are not that bad and pretty easy to clean up, I assume... Just do not click any of the links... But if the spammers got into the registration system, that would not be good at all... I see what you are doing here and now I understand ..
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-14 3:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We have performed some core patching this evening on the board kernel. If anyone sees any problems, please let us know in here and we'll look into them.

It also looks like I fixed the emoticon trappig finally as well - a hang over from V1 forum day 1.

Thank-you
C:Amie
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am really getting pretty fed up with the daily torrent of spam I have to wade through to get at legitimate posts. Can't we just throw all comments by guests/anonymous posters and members with say 5 or fewer past posts into a moderation que? I often get my hopes up seeing a new post arrive in the "recent threads" pane on the main page, only to discover that Phentermine or Texas Holdem has struck again. I have also seen occasions where posts about interesting topics get wiped off the "recent threads" pane so quickly that nobody responds to them. This spam is really not good for the health of the community.
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Have you not read this thread? C:Amie has addressed this issue repeatedly, clearly explaining why this hasn't been addressed. As an engineer, sometimes we must perform a "cost/benefit analysis", to determine if a particular treatment is warranted. In this case, the cost to C:Amie is an extraordinary amount of coding time, while the benefit to the community and frequent users is at best a mild inconvenience. Perhaps that's easy for me to say, because I don't use the same features, but if you merely click on "Forums" and then "Posts active today" starting from the Home Page, it doesn't take long to find out what is new and quickly read those posts. If it is only a spammer, then click your "back" button and you've wasted all of 5 seconds. If it's a new thread, then you can use the "human filter" without wasting any time. This is not a new forum idea; C:Amie is aware of the issue; he has addressed it repeatedly; unless someone has time and knowhow to devote to recoding the forums, this is how it will remain. Could we agree to accept C:Amie's decision on this issue and move on? If and when he has time to address this issue, he will. Until then, he has clearly stated it's not a priority. Knowing how stretched I am for time and that this problem causes so little inconvenience, I support him in his decision.

**steps off soapbox**

PS--He summed up his position just four posts ago. Look up this page.

Edited by KBoyKool 2006-07-21 5:24 PM
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 9:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, I have a suggestion that has nothing to do with spam ..
Anyway, say I search for 'vanguard thing' (sorry cmonex ) and the results the search finds are in a multi-page thread, well, I click on the link and it goes to the last page of the thread and there are no highlighted words on that page.. My question, can it be set so, when we click a thread in the search results, it goes to the first instance of a searched word and then select it to go to next occurence in thread, etc..
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 7:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sure. On the search page remove the check mark for "Collapse search results to single threads?" and it will drop you right where you want to be.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 4:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, thanks, I appreciate that
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 4:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wasn't anything I did for you tenjeangosi, we already had it in there.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 4:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I know that .. I was thanking you for the information you gave me ..
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 9:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't think this has been asked before, and it's been bugging me for a while. What's with the 100-item limit on search results? Ok so maybe if I was searching for one particular thread I might not want more than 100 results...

But I often get more than that on the Latest Threads search, which gives me all the updated threads since my last login, which could be a period of one week or more. The thing is, the list gets cut off about half way thru the HPC2000 section, so I don't see the other half or anything in CE.net or Linux section. Here, take a look at the screenshot of what happened this morning...

Can we get a "more results" link or even pages on the results, just like Google?
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 9:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

takwu, I have noticed that as well... I search posts by author and then it ends at that limit... I would like a fix maybe as well...
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 10:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

All right, who changed my avatar? (It was changed to the personal photo referenced in my profile. I changed it back.)
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 10:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You mean the Clinton one was taken off?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 11:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, it was put on. That was my personal photo. The dirt bike has always been my avatar.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-31 6:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am accutely aware of this myself.
The limit on the search there isn't a bug as such, it's a load limiter on the system designed to save the SQL server from being slaughtered. It is not however one that we implemented, it's intrinsic to the forum core. I can request the change be made for the new PD9 release, however it is not going to be something which I'm likely to write out of it myself.

CE Geek, this concerns me, please can you give me more details of approximately when this happened, I'll try and look into it and see who requested the profiles change.
« Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11