x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Surfing and email on a linux hpc

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2007-09-18 1:11 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Are the options for surfing on an hpc with linux better than on the ce surfing options? I am most interested in having portability of my bookmarks between my pc, my notebook, my ppc and my hpc. I prefer to use an hpc when I am surfing because of the keyboard. I use firefox on my notebook and desktop.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-09-26 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It depends on your preferences i guess. Firefox runs well on a j728, not so well on a j720. The other browsers for linux are fast, some render as well as firefox and IE, but might lack some features like ssl support, cookies, etc.

Email, well, again personal preference. Sylpheed is a little large for the screen, but console clients like pine and mutt are unbeatable.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-09-26 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

RTFM - 2007-09-27 12:22 AM

but console clients like pine and mutt are unbeatable.

sorry .. but.. only if you like console!
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2007-09-27 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

In general would you say that surfing on a linux based hpc is faster/better than with what is available in ce? At the risk of going off topic I am looking for something that has more "balls" than some of the ce apps that I have. I don't do things that require huge resources or speed, only wp, spreadsheet, calendar, contact list, surfing, typing chat, ebook, etc I don't do games now and if I did they would be things like chess. One of the main issues I have with outlook is that there is no ability to display a record in a full screen mode, only the table form - one record, one line, etc...and maybe a way to get a couple of years more modern software on my hpc, since most publishers have dumped support for ce stuff.

Edited by pengyou 2007-09-27 2:38 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-10-01 11:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I think this question has been answered more than enough times in this forum -- please use the search.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-02 1:40 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

ProgramSynthesiser - 2007-10-01 11:49 PM

I think this question has been answered more than enough times in this forum -- please use the search.

You mean the google search? AFAIK the forum search doesn't work still.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8