x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro I've found a working linux distro!

« Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next »
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-08-20 3:01 PM
#
You could build a new userland with the old libc, but it wont be all that easy. OE (openembedded) removed most if not all old software and libraries. Not impossible to create your own .bb file for the old libc 2.3.5 however, just look at their examples. The only real issue i see you having is that alot of newer software will not run properly if at all using that old of a libc. Certain daemons like HAL will not start causing apps that depend on HAL to fail. Other than that most everything else will build and work perfectly fine.

Yea kernel 2.6.17 is new enough and not backward compat with kernel 2.4, so if you plan on building a new userland with a newer libc that kernel would be fine. (jlime started with 2.6.17 on the jornada 7xx and used libc 2.5.x).

About sd/mmc not working does dmesg show anything? Or what about 'fdisk -l' which should list all mounted and unmounted partitons/drives.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Ea2
Ea2 Page Icon Posted 2009-08-21 4:40 AM
#
It sounds as though building a new boot image with 2.6.17 is the only real way forward then. I wasn't even aware of this issue with libc and different kernel version!

I will have to try and do what oldman was doing - examine the boot image and try to extract exactly how it is stuck together (this info seems to be almost all available in the netbook botting text file and oldmans c code utility will also be useful) and then create my own boot image with a newer kernel in it. It sounds as though his kernel was actually booting, at least the 2.6.9 one - I don't know why he wasn't able to get further - he didn't have a serial cable which made life difficult for him.

I already checked dmesg and fdisk - inserting an SD card does nothing for either. It is strange, as the kernel versions and modules are identical on the 2 distros. In psionlx, inserting my 32MB card causes these messages:

mmcblk0: mmc0:001 000000 31360KiB
mmcblk0: p1

The issue isn't a missing /dev entry either, as it's a udev system. I can only assume it's a configuration issue in /etc somewhere, not really sure what yet, but I'd guess udev/udevd or something to do with module loading is set up wrong. What do you think?
 Top of the page
Ea2
Ea2 Page Icon Posted 2009-08-21 5:24 AM
#
Oooh, one thing I forgot to ask...

If I build a new 2.6.17 kernel, I presume I have to use a toolchain that is based on glibc > 2.5. So basically whatever OE uses?

And likewise for 2.6.9 - use glibc 2.4?
 Top of the page
bobbyshane Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 5:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey guys I broke down and bought a usb - rs232 cable for my netbook.... however, come to find out you need a file titled usbsetup.exe from the original netbook pro cd. Problem is I bought mine second hand and do not have the cd. I have looked all over the place and I cannot find that file to download anywhere. Anyone have the original disc and can send me the file or link to it or know where I can find it online?
 Top of the page
Alastair Page Icon Posted 2009-09-07 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

You can get the file by registering on the Psion Teklogix website and downloading from there. It is actually called USBSetup_3.1.375_C217m.zip but I gave up trying to get the USB Activesync working and used the IR link instead! Slow..... but at least it worked!

Attachments
----------------
Attachments USBSetup_3.1.375_C217m.zip (80KB - 31 downloads)
 Top of the page
Ea2
Ea2 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-15 9:55 AM
#
Just got back from holiday, so haven't had any time to do anything with the pro yet. But I found out some stuff about the compatibility issues. It's down to a change in ABI in later kernels/libc/gcc. The new arm stuff uses arm EABI (armel is the architecture) while old stuff is arm ABI (architecture is called arm). The archs are actually the same, but creating a new architecture was the easiest way to make the change. Actually, for EABI you need arm v4 or v4t (not exactly sure which). But netbook pro is xscale, which is v5 anyway. (netbook pro is v4 so there could be problems there... but that's a different matter). The good news is that armel is much much faster at floating point (see http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Why-ARMs-EABI-matters/), the bad news is that it needs at least a 2.6.16 kernel. In fact it needs:

GCC 3.4.4 with -mabi=aapcs-linux or gcc 4.1+ with arch linux-arm-none-gnueabi
glibc 2.5+
Kernel 2.6.16+
crosstool 0.42+

So I need to make a newer kernel with new tools.

Some useful links:
http://wookware.org/talks/armeabidebconf.pdf
http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/target_arch?@action=faq&target_arch=ARM
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Why-ARMs-EABI-matters/
 Top of the page
Ea2
Ea2 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-15 9:56 AM
#
Meant to say netbook is arm v4, not netbook pro.... contradicted myself there. netbook is strongarm
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2009-09-24 11:28 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello,

I notice reading your references and following some links that Marvel had bought the processor from intel. According to the wiki, it appears the 25x series is still in production. Also, the kindle, at least the first version, used the 255. I hope I'm not getting my numbers confused as there are plenty.

Interestingly, another vendor advised to pick a different processor if you were interested in the future.
The point is, there still seems to be life in this device. I have been running the unit with the 2.6.9 Familiar using mostly the terminal. I'm searching for my 16 bit wired network card since my wireless is configured with WPA and my orinoco card only supports wep. So I don't have the network to it yet (though I have had it in the past).

I was encouraged by all the stuff to read out there.

Paul
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2009-09-30 4:58 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Here's a nice document describing the bootloader and other elements that seem common to the netbook pro. There are some schematics here as well. It also talks a bit about accessing the mmc cards and others while in the bootloader implying there is some low level set up at that point. Anyhow, I thought this might prove useful to others here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk%2FAssets%2FLiterature%2F20060620_85231_HDKdevelopersGuide.pdf&ei=ab3DSrbaC8jflAeqip3IBQ&usg=AFQjCNH6Hx9Cprhn5KYscXvkk5Jd3U0H7g&sig2=s2-Jie16bH4vMsogmZUYPw

Whew! I wonder if that's going to work.

Paul
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2010-01-12 10:14 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi!

Is there any progress?
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2010-01-18 7:01 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Acid Snoop - 2007-11-10 11:14 AM

Hey Guys, i've uploaded the netbook-linux-sources in the following location:

http://rapidshare.com/users/DTJKMP

As you will notice, there's another folder in it. I've uploaded the original PsionLX sources the Teklogix developer used to build the PsionLX Linux OS. I will make these sources available to developers in these forum, but some of these files are still confidential, as they have never been released to open source. So we still need to figure out what we can distribute to the public and what we have to handle under a confidential matter

Greetings
Acid Snoop

Does anyone have sources mentioned above? I asked Kristoffer (sp?) from jlime for some help regarding linux on netbook pro. I think that sources could help.
There is no Acid Snoop mail on the board, is it?
 Top of the page
scops Page Icon Posted 2010-01-20 1:59 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hello there...

as requested i've uploaded a little package:
http://ul.to/p5yvr2

file list:
- linux-2.6.9-pre1-bk18-nbp1.patch
- mk-nBkProOsImg.c
- nBkProOs.img
- netbook-booting.txt
- netbook-linux-sources.tgz
- soho-image-netbook-pro-20050104074212.rootfs.tar.bz2

have fun
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-01-20 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This package you uploaded is a working Linux distro for Psion Netbook Pro?
It is intended to be installed on internal nand flash or could be also installed on external memory?
How to get back to WinCE in case something is worng?
 Top of the page
scops Page Icon Posted 2010-01-20 6:02 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

this is the hole package for Linux (Psion LX! not GPE!) on a netbook pro and developement!
it is written for the special Netbook Pro version with 256mb RAM but its also working on normal ones...

i think the howto is somewhere in this threat how to use it... you can install it in nand but i prefered to run it on a CF card. (simply because the wince will be untouched).

Again the Howto:

first of all u'll need linux on your pc to partition the CF (in the example your cf card is /dev/hde, the CF should have 256mb or more to work nicely with LX):

- cfdisk /dev/hde
- Check the partition list looks right - 'Q'uit if it doesn't
- 'D'elete the exisiting partitions
- Create 'N'ew partition, ('P'rimary at the 'S'tart, size with 5MB or more)
- Set the 'T'ype to '06' (DOS FAT16)
- Set it 'B'ootable (although this is not important here)
- Create another 'N'ew partition ('P'rimary, at the 'S'tart, filling the rest of the disk (the default size))
- the Type defaults to Linux (i.e. ext2) now 'W'rite that partition table to actually make the changes

Now the nBkProOs.img comes on the FAT partition and the soho-image-netbook-pro-20050104074212.rootfs.tar.bz2 will be extracted directly on the ext2!

basicly... thats it.
just insert the cf, hardreset the netbook and press strg+d+esc til linux loads... it takes some time to lows but works

for a GPE Linux:

- http://linuxtogo.org/~florian/nBkProOs.img_cf
- http://linuxtogo.org/~florian/netbook/gpe-image-3.5.4.1-netbook-pro.rootfs.jffs2

the installing on cf is more difficult:
the nBkProOs.img_cf must be renamed to nBkProOs.img and must be placed on the fat like with Psion LX. but the jffs2 must be extracted like this:

modprobe loop 
modprobe mtdblock 
modprobe mtdram total_size=32768 erase_size=256
mkdir /dev/mtdblock ; for i in 0 1 2 3 ; do mknod /dev/mtdblock/$i b 31 $i; done
dd if=gpe-image-3.5.4.1-netbook-pro.rootfs.jffs2 of=/dev/mtdblock/0
mkdir /mnt/jffs2
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock/0 /mnt/jffs2

and than copied with:
cp -a /mnt/jffs2/* /media/disk/
(in the case the ext2 partition of the cd is mounted at /media/disk)

then edit /media/disk/etc/init.d/checkversion and put some # before each line.

and now again like with LX: strg+d+esc.

i hope this helps
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2010-01-21 5:17 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

scops - 2010-01-20 1:59 PM

Hello there...

as requested i've uploaded a little package:
http://ul.to/p5yvr2

file list:
- linux-2.6.9-pre1-bk18-nbp1.patch
- mk-nBkProOsImg.c
- nBkProOs.img
- netbook-booting.txt
- netbook-linux-sources.tgz
- soho-image-netbook-pro-20050104074212.rootfs.tar.bz2

have fun

THanks, it will surely help in the development.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 15